The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #7366
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Lord no. I just ventured out into the world. Its a jungle out there. Consumer madness. I'm going to take a nap.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #7367
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Mean people.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #7368
infinite monkey

Trute, there.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #7369
Nirvana
Back in 10

crap Dux

Sam don't beat yourself up situations change and so do your feelings about them. Its all going in a forward motion and regret doesn't help you or Carmen. Now you can go on
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #7370
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

This probably should go in the irritating forum, but I'm here, so it's going here.

Yesterday I went to buy some new preserve jars and paid enough money for them that I really thought it wouldn't be too much to ask for them to seal properly (starting to think maybe the pissed off thread) partly because that's what they're supposed to do anyway, and secondly, because I wanted to use them to put chopped up fruit (peaches, apricots and cherries) in them to soak in vodka and sugar till Christmas. They make a really lovely looking gift and most people enjoy opening them up and having the juices and then eating the fruit with icecream or something.

So anyway, I'm annoyed (hmmm..annoyed thread?) because they're not sealing properly. I'm also annoyed that I give things in preserve jars as gifts quite often to family a friends, and I always ask that the jar is returned (with the seal) when the contents are finished. The only person who does so is my Dad. All the rest of those people don't bother.

Now getting really fired up with my rant...

I like to make stuff to give people at Christmas. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction, and I feel it's more personal than just buying something from the shop, so it annoys me a lot when the jars aren't returned because it means that the gift for next time will cost more because I have to go and buy more.

I think I'm going to tie notes on the jars this year and see if I get a better return rate.

Bloody shitheads!

The end.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #7371
Griff
still says videotape

The notes will probably help. What's the deal with the jars though, bad seams? We haven't had that problem here yet... Chinese jars?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #7372
Aliantha

One lot I bought from a kitchen ware shop and the one that's leaking has a chip out of the lip, so I suspect that's the problem. I'll probably return that one.

The others are ones I bought from a discount store (so probably chinese) just to try them because they only cost $2 compared to the others which were about $6.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #7373
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
One lot I bought from a kitchen ware shop and the one that's leaking has a chip out of the lip, so I suspect that's the problem. I'll probably return that one.

The others are ones I bought from a discount store (so probably chinese) just to try them because they only cost $2 compared to the others which were about $6.
http://www.freshpreserving.com/home.aspx

Ball canning jars are about fifty cent to a dollar a piece depending on size. I think one US dollar is equal to about three Australian cents.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #7374
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think you should consider the jars as part of the present. Could you not transfer to cheaper jars just before you give them? A present "with strings" loses some of its sparkle. In this case, if you don't use it straight away there's the guilt factor that you might think they don't like it, and they have to remember to wash it and return it, it'll probably sit around on a counter collecting dust and annoying them as they wait for the next time they see you.... It's king of on a par with giving a gift that requires a subscription on the part of the recipient, or one that needs batteries without providing batteries. Or taking a meal to someone who's sick/bereaved in several dishes that must be handwashed with care. Unenvironmentally friendly as it may be, giving edible gifts in "disposable" containers is a better idea imo.

If you do continue with the expensive jars and go with the notes, I would word it in a way that stresses the environmental factor: "If you do not plan to re-use me, please return me to Aliantha and help preserve our earth's resources" Twee tough that may sound, it makes it seem more like it's the recipient's choice rather than obligation to return the jar which, imo, makes it more likely that you'll get them back -"Aliantha will appreciate it if I give her this jar" rather than "Oh bollocks, I have to remember to wash the jar and give it back" or "Cheeky cow wanting half of the present back"......

But maybe it's a cultural thing.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #7375
Aliantha

The exchange rate is about even at the moment foot, so not as bad as all that. lol

What does the word 'ball' have to do with anything? I don't understand the term. Does it mean a jar where the lid vacuum seals with heat?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #7376
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I think you should consider the jars as part of the present. Could you not transfer to cheaper jars just before you give them? A present "with strings" loses some of its sparkle. In this case, if you don't use it straight away there's the guilt factor that you might think they don't like it, and they have to remember to wash it and return it, it'll probably sit around on a counter collecting dust and annoying them as they wait for the next time they see you.... It's king of on a par with giving a gift that requires a subscription on the part of the recipient, or one that needs batteries without providing batteries. Or taking a meal to someone who's sick/bereaved in several dishes that must be handwashed with care. Unenvironmentally friendly as it may be, giving edible gifts in "disposable" containers is a better idea imo.

If you do continue with the expensive jars and go with the notes, I would word it in a way that stresses the environmental factor: "If you do not plan to re-use me, please return me to Aliantha and help preserve our earth's resources" Twee tough that may sound, it makes it seem more like it's the recipient's choice rather than obligation to return the jar which, imo, makes it more likely that you'll get them back -"Aliantha will appreciate it if I give her this jar" rather than "Oh bollocks, I have to remember to wash the jar and give it back" or "Cheeky cow wanting half of the present back"......

But maybe it's a cultural thing.
It's close family and friends that I give this sort of stuff to. Often, the cost of the jar is higher than the actual cost of the ingredients. It's mainly my brother and his wife that don't return them, and I give them a lot of stuff because they're into the whole food thing and no preservative food etc.

If they were just used jam jars it'd be different, but since we rarely buy jam etc, I usually have to buy jars, and if I have to buy them every time, I might as well just buy jam cause it'd be cheaper.

Anyway, I don't think it's too much to ask for people to return the jars. Especially if they want them refilled next time round.

eta: and I think that's really the issue. If the preserves were a one off it wouldn't matter, but when I might end up giving them 20 jars throughout the year, it gets expensive to replace them.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #7377
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
The exchange rate is about even at the moment foot, so not as bad as all that. lol

What does the word 'ball' have to do with anything? I don't understand the term. Does it mean a jar where the lid vacuum seals with heat?
"Ball" and "Kerr" are each family names of original inventors/companies
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7378
monster

Can you go with the transferring to cheaper jars just before giving idea? Or is there no such thing in Aus? Can you buy second hand jars?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #7379
Aliantha

If you transfer the contents with preserves, you risk contamination and the contents have to be refrigerated and usually consumed in a short period of time. With proper preserving, the idea is to add the preserve to the jar then put the lid on while it's still close to boiling if not still boiling.

I understand your point, and while it's a good one for non-preserved things like lollies etc, it wouldn't really work for jams and things like that.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #7380
monster

Do you have Paddington Bear in Aus?

Tags
swiss