The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #2566
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Nope, same at my age.
Really, where are they sensible to drive? Not anywhere I can think of in the UK.
I may be an eternal pedestrian, but I do have a driving licence and did have cars. It's only the cost of driving which stops me having one now.

But I just don't get owning an impractical car, even if you have money falling out of your aresehole.
Expensive? Fine, your choice.
Can't go over speed bumps or carry an overnight bag? Silly.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #2567
glatt

It would appear that with the lamborghini, there is also a high risk of people pulling out in front of you because they misjudge your distance. Maybe because it's short, it is closer than it appears. And if you are driving fast, as sports cars are want to do, then you also have less reaction time to people pulling out in front of you.

I think that's how James Dean died too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #2568
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Glatt and me, walking.
Walking down the streets and saving ourselves the price of a house by doing so.
And I'm happy, because I'm walking with a man I think could be The Doctor.
Even though the Tardis probably costs more than a sports car.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #2569
glatt

Walkin' man.

Every day. I'm the walkin' man. Why, just one hour ago, I finished my usual 3 mile lunchtime stroll. I didn't see a Lamborghini, but I did see a DeLorean. Another impractical car.
Name:  DeLorean.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  58.6 KB
Old 04-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #2570
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
But I just don't get owning an impractical car, even if you have money falling out of your aresehole.
Nothing is more impractical than a pet... yet here we are with millions of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I didn't see a Lamborghini, but I did see a DeLorean. Another impractical car.
Oh, I see, if it doesn't suit your wants/needs, it's impractical.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #2571
glatt

Have you seen Comedians in Cars Drinking Coffee? You should. The DeLorean episode is great.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #2572
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Comedians? You mean the guys that ridicule everything from soap to motherhood, for money? On a TV show they're getting paid to perform?
You've no basis for determining what's practical, so let comedians determine what you feel is impractical?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #2573
glatt

Actually, I think you, Bruce, would really enjoy this show. Seinfeld picks up his guest in a different interesting car in each episode and they go out for coffee.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #2574
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen the show. Comedians opinions about cars, or anything else, are just opinions. Being rich and/or famous doesn't confer any special knowledge, and even if they have a background like Leno, his opinions are just that, opinions. Some, may think a motorcycle is impractical, but much of the world would disagree.

Seinfeld fawning over an expensive, rare, ancient Porsche doesn't make it better or worse. While he may be more knowledgeable of the history, where it fits in the grand scheme of Porsche, his opinion has no more merit than yours or mine.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #2575
glatt

Yeah, sure. But isn't it cool seeing the different cars? He's driven a wide variety, from one of those a VW bus frame based pickup trucks to that tiny Fiat, I think, with the wicker seats. To the custom David Letterman Volvo that tends to catch fire because the exhaust is so close by the floor boards, to the DeLorean that breaks down and has to be towed away. The speeding ticket with Chris Rock in a supercar that I forget, and the honest but funny discussion about race and treatment by the police. It's all entertaining. It's not a car review show.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #2576
glatt

and back to the DeLorean being impractical, or course it's impractical. I didn't say it was terrible or that it should be banned, just that it was impractical. It's basically a Chevy, so you can probably find a lot of parts to keep the engine, transmission, suspension, etc. going, but what are you going to do if a meth head smashes a window to look for spare change in the glove box? It's a very rare car from a company that's out of business, and I can imagine that all the exterior and interior body parts would be extremely difficult to source. And it's low to the ground, so getting in and out will be just a little harder for most people. The doors open upward, so you have to stretch way up in order to pull them closed. If you are shorter than average, you may even have to sort of kneel on the seat as you reach up in order to grab the door handle and pull it closed. All that is doable, but I think 99% of the population would find it impractical. I actually knew somebody who was considering buying a used one, but he decided against it when he thought about how hard it would be to maintain it. This was back when they were common enough that you would occasionally see used ones for sale for an affordable price.

I think there are lots of impractical cars out there, but I'm glad they exist because they are interesting. Just because I think something is impractical doesn't mean I want to ban it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #2577
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

There is nothing *really* in walking distance around here. Well, as Steven Wright said "everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time." Which I do, currently, but I'm still not walking 4 miles to the grocery.

I always thought I would love a city, walking around all the time. Then I spent 5 years working in downtown Dayton. *shudders* Nasty, nasty place.

There are those who think my car is impractical. Maybe it is, in that it's not the 4 door sedan with a trunk in which I can transport dead hobos, and I DO call it 'my mid-life crisis' (which is really more of me trying to be humble and self-effacing because I do get a lot of comments.) I know that I am not my car, my car is not me...but it reflects a part of me. And it does because I bought it because I could. Because I like fun cars and it's a fun car. So? I tried practical, got smashed into two weeks after purchase of practical, and bought the 'vertible when my brand new Astra was totaled by a punk ass on a cell phone.

AND...it isn't so impractical. It does better on snow than most SUVs, due to traction control and anti-lock brakes and probably some more technical stuff I know nothing about. It's zippy (not as zippy as zippyt, but zippy nonetheless.) I can park in tiny spaces.

This spring, when the weather finally broke for a couple days after a long winter, I fulfilled the tradition of picking up my buddy at work. We drove around with the top down, and people were waving and slug-bugging each other. It felt great, after the worst winter in my memory besides 1978.

There's a part of me that would like a different car. An impractical jeep or an SUV or truck that seems practical because I could actually haul stuff in it. But there are still enough days in the year that my car gives me joy that I may as well hang onto it for a bit. I like cars. Always have. So sue me.

Wait, what were we talking about? There was some weird news about a car?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #2578
glatt

I think your car is very practical for you.

What do you have to haul that you need a pick up truck? All those bales of hay?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #2579
infinite monkey

Ha! Yes! And you should try relocating the still every time the revenooers show up! It ain't easy.

Oh, sometimes I want to load up some stuff to drag to the dump or something. And I've been acquiring stuff of my mom's so I have to stuff it all into a small car (then stuff it into a really small home...did I mention I also want a big old apartment in an old house?)

But yeah, for a single person it's practical enough.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #2580
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
There is nothing *really* in walking distance around here. Well, as Steven Wright said "everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time." Which I do, currently, but I'm still not walking 4 miles to the grocery.

~snip~
Well, that's just weird. I just saw a cellar cookie with this quote. I don't always read the cookies, and I've skipped all over the place since I posted the above.

Does the cookie generator have some sort of googly eyes, like...um, errr...Google? Speaking of which I noticed on a game site that I frequent that on the changing ads I keep getting an ad about kicking heroin addiction. I've never done heroin, I don't have occasion to discuss heroin. Maybe I read too many articles about Philip Seymour Hoffman?

If I see a cellar cookie now that reads "Everything is heroin if you have the time" I will run away, screaming and flailing my arms. Then I will pause and consider the great powers I possess.