The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Looking at a replacement for my Altima - kinda the same thing - small to mid-sized sedan, good on gas, ya know reliable. I'm looking for a used one since new is outta the question. I may have to break down and get an auto too - bummer cuz I love my 5 speed stick . Guessin in the $5000 to $7000 range. I got my last Altima for $3500, and she still runs nice, but I'd like to get a newer one - she's a '96 with 130,000 miles on her. My last one had 218,000 when she passed away Man I loved that car.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
warch
lurkin old school

Two used Sentras in a row. Love 'em. before that, Datsun.
I'd stick Nissan.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #18
glatt

Yeah. If you know and love Altimas why not get another?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sorry, no help.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:48 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:34 AM   #20
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Yeah. If you know and love Altimas why not get another?
Well I think that a newer one is gonna be outta my price range and since I have my son living with me now I should get a "newer" car. I personally don't mind that my car is 10 yrs old, but . . .
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You don't want your son to think you're uncool, or you don't want his mom to think you're endangering him by carting him around in that rattletrap?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
You don't want your son to think you're uncool, or you don't want his mom to think you're endangering him by carting him around in that rattletrap?
My son and I have a great relationship and he knows I'm cool - for a Dad anyway. His mom knows that I'd never do anything to endanger him. In fact, her car is in a far greater state of disrepair than mine - but that has naught to do with it. She has dents on every side of her minivan - examples of her at least one accident-a-year driving skill.

My car is fine for me - I know all her little idiocincracies - she's in great shape! She runs fine, new trans as of last spring, no dents or rust, great on gas (23-28mpg) no leakage, and everything works. My current car is a 5 spd stick and I'm leaning toward getting an automatic. I now drive too much for work and in traffic it can be a pain to drive a stick. Also, Without making a long story longer, I am trying to teach/show my son the benefits of working hard and getting an education. Not that a car is that great an example, but it is something to which a 16 yr old boy can relate. I am also cognizant that he will be driving soon and I want him to be in the safest situation I can afford.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

sell him your old car , get your self something newer ,
I am a firm belever that a kids first car should be a beater to learn in , a stick shift preferably , pay for the first clutch ( yes it WILL get burned up ), then the rest is on him .

Oh and on switching from a stick to an auto trans , Carfull that you DON'T Clutch your self thru the windshield !!!!!!!!
TUCK that left FOOT !!!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #24
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

My first car was a light blue Fiat 600. Drove various Mercedes until 1999, the ML being the last. Via Range Rover V8 and Touareg V10 back to the new MB ML (320Cdi). Secretly longing to a Big Block V8 US muscle car from the 60 or 70´s. A rusty old '69 Charger RT anyone?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #25
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
sell him your old car , get your self something newer ,
I am a firm belever that a kids first car should be a beater to learn in , a stick shift preferably , pay for the first clutch ( yes it WILL get burned up ), then the rest is on him.
I just put a new clutch in it in may '06. He and I agreed that he won't be getting his license till he's 18 even though he could have it right now. It'd cost me about $2500 yr just to insure him. Not really worth it at this point. Besides he isn't getting a car till he gets straight A's. When that happens I'll pretty much give him anything he wants I'll be so pleased!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #26
zippyt

I Hear ya , got to set some limits , when my older sis turned 15 she got a car , by the time I turned 16(2 years later) mymom had had SOOOOO many problems that I got 10 speed , I bought my own first car at 21 , paid for my own ins etc,,,I drove that little VW Rabbit untill the wheels fell off , then fixed it and kept on driveing it for a few more years .
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #27
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I paid $650 for my first car when I was 18. My dad helped me fix it up and get it roadworthy. Then I paid the rego etc and off I went.

Funnily, it was about 1 week after I started driving my little red cortina that my mother first called the cops cause I was late home (less than an hour). She didn't give me much leeway. lol Poor old mum. When I got home she made me ring the cops and tell them I was back. They laughed and suggested I make sure I call before I'm late next time so they wouldn't have to worry too.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #28
zippyt

I bought mine and then 2 days later drove 1800 miles to California , for 3 years , ( I was in the Marines )
MANY adventures were had in that little car !!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I kept driving mine till the gear stick came out of the floor. I happened to be driving along the expressway but in a bit of traffic at the time. My g/f had to hold the stick into the floor while I changed gears for the rest of the trip.

I sold it not too long after that, but it was a great little beast. 1971 MkII GT Cortina. Looked almost identical to this one.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #30
zippyt

My g/f had to hold the stick i

He He , she said STICK !!!!