The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #256
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Top Ten Ways Tony Hayward Can Improve His Image
Letterman's Top Ten

10.Catch Osama

9.Contaminate waters around a country like North Korea

8.Reveal secret behind his soft and lustrous curly hair

7.Apologize on The Golf Channel

6.Shoot new BP commercial where he viciously is pecked by angry pelicans

5.Join team Coco

4.Get a job at Poland Spring; accidentally dump a billion gallons of water into the gulf

3.Improve his image, are you kidding? He's doing great!

2.Hang out at BP station, let customers inflate his ass with air hose

1.Dial it back from "arrogant bastard" to "smug pr***"
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #257
Nirvana
Back in 10

BP seems to have problems all over

BP responsible for gas spill in Constantine
http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/96845664.html
Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #258
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
It seems BP recently cleaned up another spill right here in Michiana.

Officials confirmed Monday to NewsCenter 16 that BP is responsible for a gasoline leak of 2,000 barrels in Constantine, Mich.

A leak was discovered over Memorial Day weekend in the area of Quarter Line Road and Miller Road in a pipeline extending from an oil refinery in Whiting, Ind. to the Detroit area. BP says around 89,000 gallons spilled.

Four homes were evacuated for three days until it was determined there was no gasoline in their water.
I wonder how common that type of thing is.

I lol'd that they spelled the name of their state wrong tho or is that a city there?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #259
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
•The Mississippi River pours as much water into the Gulf of Mexico in 38 seconds as the BP oil leak has done in two months.
•For every gallon of oil that BP's well has gushed into the Gulf of Mexico, there is more than 5 billion gallons of water already in it.
•The amount of oil spilled so far could only fill the cavernous New Orleans Superdome about one-seventh of the way up.
•If you put the oil in gallon milk jugs and lined them up, they would stretch about 10,800 miles. That's a roundtrip from the Gulf to London.
•BP has spent more than $54.8 million lobbying federal officials in Washington since 2000; that's about 44 cents for every gallon of oil it has spilled.
•Take the 125 million gallons of oil spilled in the Gulf and convert it to gasoline, which is what Americans mostly use it for. That produces 58 million gallons of gas - the amount American drivers burn every three hours and 41 minutes.
•If all the oil spilled were divided up and equal amounts given to every American, we would all get about four soda cans full of crude oil that no one really wants.
link
Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #260
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post

I lol'd that they spelled the name of their state wrong tho or is that a city there?

Michiana
is a term used to describe the area of Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana
Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #261
classicman

gotcha - after I posted I was thinkin it had to be something like that.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #262
classicman

Judge halts Obama's oil-drilling ban
Quote:
A federal judge in New Orleans halted President Obama's deepwater drilling moratorium on Tuesday, saying the government never justified the ban and appeared to mislead the public in the wake of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Judge Martin L.C. Feldman issued an injunction, saying that the moratorium will hurt drilling-rig operators and suppliers and that the government has not proved an outright ban is needed, rather than a more limited moratorium.

He also said the Interior Department also misstated the opinion of the experts it consulted. Those experts from the National Academy of Engineering have said they don't support the blanket ban.

"Much to the government's discomfort and this Court's uneasiness, the summary also states that 'the recommendations contained in this report have been peer-reviewed by seven experts identified by the National Academy of Engineering.' As the plaintiffs, and the experts themselves, pointedly observe, this statement was misleading," Judge Feldman said in his 22-page ruling.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the administration will appeal the decision, and said Mr. Obama believes the government must figure out what went wrong with the Deepwater Horizon rig before deepwater drilling goes forward. Still, the ruling is another setback as Mr. Obama seeks to show he's in control of the 2-month-old spill.

Democrats and Republicans from the Gulf states have called on the president to end the blanket moratorium, saying it is hurting the region.

Oil company executives told Congress last week they would have to move their rigs to other countries because they lose up to $1 million a day per idle rig, and said there are opportunities elsewhere.
Here we go . . . . WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #263
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

View from space.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #264
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If oil was the same density as water it probably wouldn't seem like such a big deal. Problem is that it floats to the top and we are basically measuring surface area instead of volume.

Quote:
When oil is spilled or leaked into in waterways and the ocean, it spreads very quickly with the help of wind and currents. A single gallon of oil can create an oil slick up to a couple of acres in size! The BP oil slick had spread over 580 square miles in just three days.
http://www.greenlivingtips.com/blogs...il-spills.html
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #265
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman, who overturned the Obama administration's temporary ban on deep-water offshore oil drilling, has a lot of his net worth in oil industry holdings. Judge Feldman holds stock in Ocean Energy, Quicksilver Resources (KWK), Prospect Energy, Peabody Energy (BTU), Halliburton (HAL), Pengrowth Energy Trust (PGH), Atlas Energy Resources (ATN) and Parker Drilling (PKD).

Yes, that list did include Halliburton, which was a contractor for the ill-fated Deepwater Horizon project. The data uncovered by the Associated Press, is based on 2008 filings. The news agency also points out that other judges with similar holding have recused themselves from ruling on matters involving the oil and gas industries.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/ceK1WL
Bobby Jindal is happy that the moratorium was overturned. I wonder how loudly he'll blame the fed gov if there's another spill.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #266
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Bobby Jindal is happy that the moratorium was overturned. I wonder how loudly he'll blame the fed gov if there's another spill.
Loudly and with full conviction of finger-pointing and grandstanding, as per usual.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #267
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
If oil was the same density as water it probably wouldn't seem like such a big deal. Problem is that it floats to the top and we are basically measuring surface area instead of volume.
Lots of evidence points to the fact that oil disperses much deeper than the surface, and that has been aided by the chemicals they have been spraying on to facilitate that process.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #268
classicman

At what cost? We still don't know WTF those chemicals are doing to the environment.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #269
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I don't know, and I don't think anyone else does either. But there is a lot of speculation out there on the issue of the use of disbursants.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #270
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Lots of evidence points to the fact that oil disperses much deeper than the surface, and that has been aided by the chemicals they have been spraying on to facilitate that process.
I'm not doubting that. I'm sure it affects marine life no matter the depth and I recently read an article about how the oil spill will be harmful to deep sea (no sunlight deep) marine life. My post was just a response to xoxoxoBruce's post, where many of the statistics pointed out the oil to water ratio is actually EXTREMELY small. Most of the oil floats to the surface, our main vantage point, so it seems much worst in that respect. And I'm sure even an extremely small ratio of oil to water is harmful to most marine life.