The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 09-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There is also 1 Corinthians 12-14 (KJV)

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #32
vrai_rennx
Voix de Vérité

That's part of why I don't like Catholicism- They're always all 'ZOMG THE BIBLE', but then if a Catholic wants to get married in the church to a non-Catholic, their potential spouse has to convert. But it says right there in the Bible that it's okay for a believer to be married to a non-believer.

~les beaux esprits se rencontrent~
vrai_rennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Catholics do not read or particularly follow the Bible. They follow Catholic Doctrine as expressed in the Catechism.

The Bible (Catholic Standard Edition) is doled out in small doses during Sunday Mass only.

All Catholics have a Bible in the House. It's purpose is to hold prayer cards, mass cards, and funeral cards, as well as to press the occasional four-leaf clover.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Bible is a quasi-accurate history book, telling us how people lived, what they believed, how their interactions played out. We can learn a lot from it.

That said, use it as a guide to figure out what you feel is proper behavior, and not take specific passages to be gospel (pun). Any passage you can quote to justify particular behavior, somewhere is the Bible a case can be made for the exact opposite.

If you let someone else dictate your behavior without your input, you probably won't be happy.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #35
rkzenrage

But... thinking is so harrrrrd.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
The Worlds Wolf
Kinda New Member

i know its been a long time since someones posted anything.. but im in the same situation.. almost exacly the same.. only she is worried to death about my well being with god. i am/was a naturalist. i just lived life believing there was an after life and i would see what it was when it came to be. but then she shows me this thing called The Rapture. even though its different in the bible it has the same ideas.. and shes scared for me. ive never EVER been caught in such a hard situation. i cant sleep or eat. my emotions are up and down. if god was so great.. youd think it be easier to conver =\. or if god loved us all hed understand my differents and show me when its time. but this iss oo hard. im crying randomly and worrying about her. its hard. i lived 6 years of my life as a naturalist. and was happy. even when troubles struck i fount a higher reason for why it happened. i just hope somthing happens. that everything will be ok and i wont loose her or visa versa
The Worlds Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #37
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Stop your crying and shit can her. The only way religious people ever accept anyone is if they agree or pretend to agree.
If you start out trying to change, the only change you get is from primal attraction to hurtful indifference.
The odds of a relationship working are a lot better if you can start out as who you really are and not what some stubborn asshole wants you to be.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #38
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Stop your crying and shit can her.
That struck my funny bone. You're probably right though. How can you have a relationship with someone who thinks your gonna fry?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #39
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I can understand her concern. She believes that the man she loves is damned if she doesn't help save him. It is an act of love in such circumstances, to try and convert him.

That said...if a relationship makes you less happy than you were is it a good relationship to be in? You had made an acceptable compact with the world you found yourself in. You were happy with what you perceived as your place in that and the beliefs which you had formed.

Now you're in tears? Now you are worried and upset and reaching for something which it doesn't honestly sound as if you actually believe in.

Personally, I would be inclined to draw a line in the sand: This is me. This is what I believe. I've listened to what you believe...I respect it but I don't share your faith. If that's a problem then this relationship has no future. If the relationship is to have a future, it must do so without these attempts at conversion and persuasion.

That would be my line. Because right now, she is (however innocent the motive) fucking with your head.

Whether there is a life after death or not, none of us know. I believe there isn't. You presumably believe there is (in some form). What there is after life, we cannot know. How likely is it that this one of the many cults/faiths/confessions that exist, or have ever existed, has got it right on the button?

What you can be sure of, is the life you have. Make this one a happy one and that much at least can you give yourself. If this situation is making you unhappy, then I suggest you rectify it.

[eta] welcome to the Cellar btw *smiles* stick around, but whatever you do don't ever open that red door over there...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #40
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/35217/page/1.html
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Spam? Et tu, 3-ft.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I believe he was expressing an opinion about need to run.

Far and fast.

With the shinest and newest sneakers.

At bargain prices.

Available now.

With easy credit terms.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #43
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Bumping up walking shoes to running shoes. That was my take.

And I agree.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

There's gotta be a joke in here somewhere, regarding sneakers and the other foot.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #45
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Foot 3's pissed 'cause he has to spend 50% more than me on skids.