The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I'm 52 and at yet another career crossroads myself. Partly because I never learned how to suck up bullshit from my boss, and partly ADD, I suppose. I'm now no longer employable (There is some question as to whether I ever was, but that's somewhat moot) and so I am making my own new career.

It sounds like you are perfectly capable of keeping a job that pays well, has benefits, and is one you could retire from. (or from which you could retire)

If you'd like to pay my fare to your place and back I'd be happy to come visit you and smack you one.

Trust me when I say it is the comfort of your life that deludes you into thinking you have the luxury to change careers. For a fun experiment try living on $400 a week for a year, then check back with us and let us know how much you want to change your job. Put all but $400 per week into an escrow account that you can't touch for a year so you won't be tempted to do frivolous things like put money in your kids college funds or pay your insurance premiums, or buy new tires for your car.

Personally, I would not fuck with a well paying job.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Get the kids through college and/or on their adult paths
and then switch careers if you still want to. You only have a few years left
with the kids still at home - don't miss them.<snip>
Sure, do what you need to do to make you feel you have done right by your kids.

But realize too, the economic world has changed, and graduation from
high school, or from college, does not mean they won't be back !
You may have a household of kids coming and going for several more years.

If you keep procrastinating until the kids are "settled", you may be so close
to retirement you would have good reason to be afraid to make significant career changes.

Who knows, maybe your wife wants to make career changes too.
If she has been a stay-at-home-Mom, she may want to pursue some of her dreams too.
Several long, private discussions with her now may find the better paths.
If you do change careers, you will need her support... and she, yours.

But staying in a job that is not satisfying is not the path to a contented
marriage or retirement, especially if the reason is "for the sake of the kids"
Fear and regret are far worse than the temporary stresses of making
the changes that are best for you and your wife.
Your kids will survive.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I told Limey the story of my parents' retirement when I went to visit.
Mum was worried they would not have anything in common when they both stopped working. This was in the days when UK pensions kicked in at 65 for men and 60 for women (Dads is 5.5 years older than Mum.)

She made a concerted effort to make sure they knew eachother again by scheduling weekend trips away together while they were still both employed.
They were mostly paid for by Clubcard vouchers (vouchers from the supermarket Dad is pretty much married to) and of course he had the car and petrol was cheaper then. They toured cathedral cities, ate out in pubs (and in one gay bar by mistake, "But ever so clean!") and stayed in the chain hotels that accepted the vouchers. Stuffed themselves on the free breakfasts, walked Roman walls, and basically spent time together.

Limes pointed out that much as I berate her, Mum is committed to making their marriage work, and she loves Dad in her own way.

And a little too late I learned that marriage needs to be worked at, and communication is the key. So as wiser heads above have suggested - talk, talk and talk again. 52 is not too old to change careers. You're a baby! But you will need support and love to do so.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Having done this involuntarily at 30 and at 50 ...

It was a lot easier at 30, and I didn't know it was the initiation of a career change at the time ... most of you know the story, I used to work with computers and play with people and now I do the opposite.

I am actually considering working towards the transition from admissions to counselling at the rehab ... I think counsellors get paid more, and that's what driving the process. I don't do well at living down by the river. Although I have a very nice tent, I have furniture and piles of books that just won't work well in that context. Even if I press my not as nice tent into use as storage.

Consider what you love and what you want to do. Is what you are currently doing something that you could do as a standalone business? I'm guessing not, since your goals involve going back to school for the new gig. Is your wife on board with your idea to the extent that she would be agreeable to working until your own income supports you?

Whatever you do, make sure that there is enjoyment in it for you. You're able to do it longer that way.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Although some aspects are still fun I am bored and can't see finishing my career out in this field. I have a different occupation
Your decision must be tempered by conditions (kids about to go to college, your financial assets) and whether your decision is based in something that actually has a purpose.

Most everyone I knew who went into Actuarial Science ended up quitting. Although it requires better education, the money is inferior. Worse, they did not control their environment due to management that had contempt for technical realities.

I know many who literally changed their careers in mid-stream. For example, one engineer became frustrated. He watched what lawyers were doing. Realized that lawyers control their destiny; have more fun. So he got a law degree. Two reasons. First it was guaranteed employment. Second, paid better. And was fun because he was now controlled events; could invent things despite reality.

Another realized this in his first year as an engineer. I did not grasp back then how correct he was. He immediately went to Harvard Business, got an MBA, and increased his income by maybe 5 times. But more important, as a salesman of nuclear power plants (yeah, maybe one sale every decade), he controlled his environment.

Another immediately quit as a mechanical engineer to double his income as a salesmen. Well, they made all kinds of promised that were never kept. But selling stuff was so much easier than designing to specs he had no say over. And he could make decisions.

In your case, an important point is, does an actuarial actually control his environment? That requirement is more important than the work - or even the income. Assuming your can take a pay cut.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

and yet one more thought...
Be sure you are vested in your current retirement plan before you do much of anything else.

At 42, the reality of that could make a world of difference to your future.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
John Adams
Founder of Freedom

Thanks for the replies everyone, as expected lots of great information.

I'll hit a few points - Who said blow the college fund on women and cars? That as a great one! No, not having a mid life crisis. It can more aptly be summarized by what I tell my kids when they consider their future - "I wouldn't worry about it, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up."

Hobbies thing, I have plenty of those, I volunteer with a group and do support visits for those suffering with the same medical condition I have as well as kids that have it and their parents. I run a youth group, also. Spend as much time with my kids as I can and take them out mtb'ing, paddlng, climbing, etc every weekend.

I am not worried about retirement (at this point) I have certain goals and I am on target to reach them.

The wife insists I could make more even though I tell her anything I switch to will require a decent pay cut especially at the start. She still thinks I should go back to school, probably because so many people she knows have gone back for advanced degrees. I just don't see the point in getting a degree in my field at this point. Why, to move up to management? I had been director level management in the past, same field, I hated it, I like to solve problems and all my time was taken up with management stuff. I went back to the engineer role after about three years.

As far as her going back to work, well, she has never really worked. A paying job I mean. A couple of years after she finished college but then she decided to take time off and travel the world. That was how we met. She would never be happy working for someone else so I have helped her identify a business she can start and run that she would enjoy, she is slowly bringing the business up, right now working at it about five hours a week. Next year she will be spending about ten hours a week with it. Eventually she will make enough that I can retire and spend all my time riding my bikes and climbing.

Well, enough rambling, you guys (and gals) have provided plenty to think about and consider. Much appreciated.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Joined May 2006.

50 posts.

John, mate, you just need to spend more time here.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I see on Craigslist that the local deli is hiring

If nothing else, this
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Joined May 2006.

50 posts.

John, mate, you just need to spend more time here.
It's a lucky thing he rambles or we'd never hear from him at all.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #26
John Adams
Founder of Freedom

Heh, I am a lurker, I admit it, I read the site often but rarely have any insight that hasn't already been covered more succinctly and efficiently, especially by the time I rewrite my response twenty times.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Spend as much time with my kids as I can and take them out mtb'ing,...
You take your children when you go motorboating? You pervert.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You take your children when you go motorboating? You pervert.
Puttering about? I thought that was somethnig only priests did?

Last edited by tw; 04-16-2013 at 10:40 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

No, no, the other mtb'ing.