The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Any iPod Gurus??? - Help!!!

I'm going friggen nuts, I cant run without my iPod and I cant get the bugger to show up in iTunes.

've tried the R's (suggested on the Apple support site - Reset, Reinstall etc etc), I've changed ports, I've uninstalled iTunes, reinstalled the latest version...when I connected the iPod, it showed up in iTunes and asked to be restored. I clicked restore and went through the paces, then came up with a message along the lines of "iPod cant be restored as the files are in use by another program", but when I clicked restore again it went through and said to leave the iPod connected and it will show in iTunes when updating is complete....but it never does??

Arghhhh!!!

Any ideas?? puleeze
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

I have an ipod and I've never seen anything like that. The only thing I can think of is that maybe itunes has a new update that hasn't updated on your computer yet? Usually when I have problems with mine I disconnect everything, shut the computer down, restart and it fixes it. When you connect your ipod to the computer and bring up itunes does it show your ipod in the left column?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

unless you're having a problem updating songs to your ipod? I'm not really sure which part you're having problems with. I've found that if you load songs from your computer onto your ipod and then move the files to a different location you have to re-add them
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

can 1 i-tunes handle 2 different ipods?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

2 different ipods yes LJ, but not two different playlists...both ipods would have to have the same playlists. Does that make sense?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's ok. jinx likes good music. mostly ( we have some prince )

I have some circuit city reward points to spend, and we often fight over the ipod. i was gonna get another kind of mp3 player, but then i was thinking that all of the accessories i have ( charger, podcast, docks etc) are for the 30g ipod. easier if i could just get another one like the one i have, but we thought itunes could only handle 1 ipod. have you done this yourself?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

yeah, my sister has an ipod...and she wanted to add some songs from my list onto hers. I plugged hers in and it updated her ipod to all my songs...her list was gone. She got them back by going to back to her computer....i tried everything i could think of (i'm not the most technologically inclined person, but i can get things done) and there was no way to have two playlists, or two ipod's.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Regarding the 2 ipod issue, another option is to change the setting to manually manage your ipod. This works much better for me because I generally have a lot of stuff in itunes that I don't want on my ipod. Aside from that, what KinkySister (if I may ) experienced is exactly why I don't like having the auto sync mode turned on. With this setup you couldn't really have two playlists, but you could choose to copy certain things and not other to your ipod.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Kinky, I have update my iTunes. When I uninstalled and reinstalled, I did it direct from the website with the latest version.

My iPod doesnt show up in the left column at all, so I cant do anything with it.

Steve - I have mine set on manually manage your ipod and YES, we run 2 playlists quite successfully that way....well...did before this happened.

Shitting bastard of a thing.

I'm gonna send it away and just buy a shuffle to keep me going until then.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

SD...you may and, coolness! I didn't know about the manual option thing. It rocks! I have lots of video's in mp4 format that are stored in my itunes that I don't want on my player. Now I can do that. Rock on! Thanks yo!

Ducks - I'm sorry to hear that. I have NO idea what to tell you, other than to maybe call apple or something? hell, I don't know. Sorry. Shuffle's are cool I guess, if you don't mind not having a screen or anything...but it basically works the same way right? Will it get rid of your problem just to buy another mp3 player?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Nah it wont rid the problem, but it looks like I might have to send the Nano away and I cant live without an ipod of some description...thats very sad really.

Thanks for the input
Old 10-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Sorry I wasn't much help DucksNuts. Good luck with all that. If you find a solution let me know.

Edit: to say Happy Birthday to You!!

Last edited by KinkyVixen; 10-18-2006 at 02:39 AM.
KinkyVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:27 AM   #13
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Ahhh the boys I work with are big softies. I was whining about my iPod woes and they went and bought me a new Nano (its shiny blue ) (i'm sure it will somehow come out of my commission though!!)....anyways, I cured the problem on the old one by leaving it connected to the port and restarting the PC, it went came up with an error saying it was corrupt them went through a *fix*.

Now I have 2 Nano's.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Wow, that was nice of the boys to buy you a new nano! Dang!
That's cool that you cured the problem too...gosh, so now you can listen to a song in one ear and a different one in the other! lol
So what you doin' for your birthday?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

probably not relevant to this problem, but a virus is cropping up in iPods now.