The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The problem with Pagan dating sites is that everybody on there is a fucking wackjob. OTOH, most guys on Christian dating sites can't get past "You worship more than one God, but none of them is Satan?"

So, RS, are you back on the market, or are you just posting generally helpful info here?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFairy
Be selective on which sites you choose - there has been lots of talk concerning dating sites using sham daters to keep you renewing...
i hadn't heard of that before. what sites are considered reputable around here?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The problem with Pagan dating sites is that everybody on there is a fucking wackjob. OTOH, most guys on Christian dating sites can't get past "You worship more than one God, but none of them is Satan?"

So, RS, are you back on the market, or are you just posting generally helpful info here?
No, I'm not on the market. But thanks for asking, sweetie. I have a number of girlfriends that are at various stages. I've been encouraging Brianna to get out right away.

A local friend (54 yo) had tried to meet guys thru friends or work. But, that yielded nothing. In Nov she started using eHarmony. She dated one guy a few times, another once, but the third one may be a keeper. She's been seing him for over two months. She didn't realize that eHarmony was for Xtians. Since she was a liberal jew, she was marginalized, and found guys that were similarly outcast by eHarmony.

It seems to me that hooking up thru friends is very hard. The online dating services bring people together that woudn't have otherwise found each other. Also, the ideas above on clubs and activities is also very good.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
laebedahs
Abecedarian

At the risk of derailing a thread....

Hi everyone! I know I've been gone a while. A few weeks ago, it was finally accomplished: my divorce was made official.

So I've been curious about the whole "join a club" thing: how does one find out about these? I tried ye olde trusty Internet, but didn't turn up any results.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The trick is to figure out what KIND of club you want to join first. You're not going to just find a listing of all clubs in your area. If it's a book club you want to join, ask at a bookstore. If it's a sports-related club, ask at a gym or sporting goods store. You have to at least start with an idea of what interests you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #21
laebedahs
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
The trick is to figure out what KIND of club you want to join first. You're not going to just find a listing of all clubs in your area. If it's a book club you want to join, ask at a bookstore. If it's a sports-related club, ask at a gym or sporting goods store. You have to at least start with an idea of what interests you.
I like reading, but don't think I'd like the whole "analyze the book and tell me what you think" aspect. Just boring for me. I like writing poetry, but much less so reading or hearing it read. Maybe I'll just go, share my own poetry, and leave lol.

As for a bookstore, we had one here once upon a time, but they shut down due to lack of sales (because they were overpriced). What about the local public library?
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #22
ashke
Don't look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Really? That sounds downright Orwellian. Does the government force you to take part of this service or is it optional?
It's optional but a lot of the activities in university take funding from them. -__-

Their website is here: http://www.lovebyte.org.sg/web/ent_p_home.asp

EDIT: I also just realized how cheesy the website sounds. Yuck...
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #23
FallenFairy
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Were there any lions posing as christians?
Well hell yes Bruce - I was there!! :p

OK - sorry I was slow in answering...
I believe Match and Yahoo personals were hit for playing the game with having fake postings...and even having employees go out on dates...(is that lible or slander on my part?? oh well it's public record)...
that's actually why I chose a Christian site - I figured maybe the chance of having a few "real" people interspersed with the wack-jobs was a bit higher. And for me it worked. But we "dated" for quite some time before we met - hell I had email and phone conversations with his kids, his best friends and his Mother before we met... I was taking no chances and either was he. Discretion is the better part of valor in dating.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've pretty much decided upon a life of celibacy and thankless, back-breaking work. Perhaps I'll join a cloister...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #25
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I've pretty much decided upon a life of celibacy and thankless, back-breaking work. Perhaps I'll join a cloister...
I'm with you. My last experience was sooooooooo AWFUL! BLECH! I don't trust myself to make good choices, anymore. There may be some great guys out there, but I guarantee that I pick out a guy, he's a great loser and that's about it.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #26
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I'm with you. My last experience was sooooooooo AWFUL! BLECH! I don't trust myself to make good choices, anymore. There may be some great guys out there, but I guarantee that I pick out a guy, he's a great loser and that's about it.
Hey Mari, I just know you from this forum, but I think you have a great personality, and after your move and joining activities, you will be in the driver's seat again. You go girl! ....RS
Old 04-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #27
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Stop it! You're just trying to make me feel guilty for not meeting you in Pittsburgh for "fun and games". OK, I'll try harder to justify a trip back east. Chicago might be easier to swing. You're the best, darling; can you do Chicago?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Chicago might be easier to swing. You're the best, darling; can you do Chicago?
I can go anywhere!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Hey Mari, I just know you from this forum, but I think you have a great personality, and after your move and joining activities, you will be in the driver's seat again. You go girl! ....RS
Why, thanks, RS. You're being quite the pep squad for me and Bri, here. I hope you're right. Right now the only whickers I've been waking up to next to my pillow belong to my cat. I wouldn't mind seeing a man's instead!
Old 04-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #30
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I haven't had time to add anything to this thread. Anyway, good luck RS. IMO, you could let friends and relatives know that you are looking. Sometimes they can find people in situations other than obvious 'meat market' ones.

Good luck also, Mari. Judging by your picture, you shouldn't have any problems when you decide to get back into dating.

BTW, remember Levy's Law on Dating - Never have sex with a woman until you have read all of her tatoos.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote