The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-14-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

BBQ season

Well, it's almost time for the BBQ season opener.

I was thinking about trying something new this year. I want to do a beta test of something I want to do at plastic forks.

Buy boneless chicken breasts and cut into cubes. Marinate one set in Teriyaki sauce, one set in italian dressing, and marinate the other in hot sauce.

Take out the ones marinated in hot sauce and sprinkle with garlic and hungarian (hot) paprika.

Use wooden skewers and make kabobs with onion, peppers, and tomatoes.

For the side dish I have lately been taking english muffins, splitting them and pressing the tops down in olive oil, sprinkling garlic powder, regular paprika, and italian seasoning, and broiling until sizzling and slightly browned. I guess it's slightly healthier than using butter, but they pick up a lot of oil.

To do this on a grill, I would have to cook them face down, or raise them from the heat, put on the dome, and bake them. I'm not sure which method would work.

I'm going to try these on the portable Red Devil at home before attempting it at Plastic Forks.

I was also considering buying cheap 12" pizzas, and using a pizza pan to bake pizza on the grill. I have wood chips designed for propane grills. If I sprinkle a few wood chips and get some smoke, I might be able to reproduce a wood fired brick oven taste.

Oh yeah, it's been 3 years since the Red Devil recall. Someone remember to bring caution tape. :p

Quote:
Consumers who purchased the product after August 1998 will receive, upon notifying QVC, revised operating instructions and a warning label to be put on the locking mechanism next to the air hole, warning users not to light the grill at the air hole opening in the venturi tube.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 05-14-2005 at 10:20 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My stepdad fires up the grill almost every Sunday from March until October. Pork "steaks" are his specialty, though I don't care for 'em. I suspect that there will be a big welcome home party for me in July, where we will consume mass quantities of pork steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and beer. Should be a grand time.

For Forks...hmmm...I dunno what I'm gonna bring this year. Maybe I'll marinate some chicken breasts or bring some fish.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Best bbq sides:

bread + butter
baked beans (the way my dad makes them and no other, thick molasses-ey - divine)
twice baked potatoes (w/garlic, cheese and god knows what else)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant
Best bbq sides:

bread + butter
baked beans (the way my dad makes them and no other, thick molasses-ey - divine)
twice baked potatoes (w/garlic, cheese and god knows what else)
I don't think anyone has ever come up with a better side than an ear of corn, boiled, or grilled in butter to the point where some of the butter and corn carmelizes into a light brown near the edges.

For something that is so cheap it is used to sweeten soft drinks, corn has become pretty expensive these days.

I was considering adding it to my menu this season, but I am not going to pay 20 cents for a small ear of corn. I'm hoping prices are ok this year.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Q-season goes year round around here , YES i have been seen standing in the snow in insulated coveralls, beer in hand befor .
That is a sweet LITTLE portable grill , if you are realy getting into grilling i would suggest expanding your arsonal a bit , for years we have been webber fans http://www.weber.com/bbq/ , charcoal ONLY , we both think it tastes better , though gas would be more conveniont . This year we got a larger charcole grill , i'll try and get a pic .

Main dishes , K-bobs ( pronounced Kay-Bobs ) are fun to play with lots of different ways to make them , Carol uses bonless country pork ribs , sweet vidalia onions , 2-3 different color pepers , and 'shrouns , all maranaded in Italion dressing .
I have given out our hot wing resape a few times here ,
Beer can chicken is VERRY good and can be made MANY different ways , we are working on a HOT chicken resape , like hot wings but the whole chicken is spiced up and injected with the hot goodness

we have NEVER tried pizza but i am game one day ( i have a small sand blaster if it fails )

Now as to side dishes , a few we like to do ,
Vidalia onions , peel off the out side nastyness , quarter the onion,cut most of the way thru but not all the way , but a few slices of butter in these slits , wrap in foil , put this on the grill but to the side , they are done when they are no longer firm ,, unwrap , don't loose the juice

Trout , cook trout much the same way as the onions , clean the guts and what not out , slice some onion thin , for every trout to be grilled put 3-4 slices of onion inside , a few slices of butter , wrap in foil , and put them to the side of the fire , turn every now and then , when you smell fish they are done , un wrap , if done correctly you should be able to lift one side of the fish off and grab the back bone and lift it out in ONE peice

Much more , but i seem to be rambling
A larger grill will expand the possabilatys as to what you can cook , oh go to welding supply store and look at there gloves , you won't find better and less expencive heat proff gloves ANY where !!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

How the hell did I forget about the corn!??!

Oh yeah. I guess it's so integral that I thought it didn't need to be mentioned. Nothing's better than grand pappy's home grown corn.

The problem with living in Upstate NY is the scarcity of good sweet corn. We have a short growing season so we only get one good batch of it. Growing up in Missouri they always said that corn should be, "Knee-high by the fourth of July". The stuff around here isn't knee high until August. :/
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I love the smell of barbeque in the early afternoon ...

Rich, sounds like you have some extraordinary ideas!!

Remember, everyone is invited to Plastic Forks. If you have been to Plastic Forks, you are allowed to invite more people (i.e., off the cellar) to Plastic Forks.

June 25th to until the last drunk is scraped up off the lawn on 26th.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
love the smell of barbeque in the early afternoon ...

Rich, sounds like you have some extraordinary ideas!!

Remember, everyone is invited to Plastic Forks. If you have been to Plastic Forks, you are allowed to invite more people (i.e., off the cellar) to Plastic Forks.
Thanks Wolf. I am planning on inviting a few more people. I got the impression that we should RSVP with some kind of head count to help you and Bob plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
we have NEVER tried pizza but i am game one day ( i have a small sand blaster if it fails )
Yes, but I will already be bringing olive oil for the garlic bread. Assuming I can keep people from appropriating it for non-food purposes, I will have enough to keep my grill unstuck, impart some flavor to the food, and give it that authentic pizza-parlor greasiness.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
Wens
Person Who Has Posted

I tried to make grilled pizza few times and it never got any good. I think the heat wasn't spread as it should.
As a fitness junkie I like to make anti pasti as a side dish (but kids don't eat it).
Did anyone here tried to make a Mongolian BBQ. I just read about it and try to figure out if it's possible to "adopt" it into regular BBQ.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-15-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Wens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Hickory and oak are undoubtedly king and queen of the BBQ woods, but every once in a while it's nice to try something different. Whilst out on errands this weekend, I stopped in at Wannemakers (in the Chicago burbs) to see what might be new for BBQ. I was very please to find they had bagged chunks (not shavings) of pecan and cherry wood.

I used some of the cherry for smoking some chicken breasts yesterday. It was delicious. Chicken can be tricky to Q because it takes up the smoke so well. You need to use a mild wood (fruitwoods are good) and add it to the fire sparingly.

I'm not sure what to try the pecan on, but I'll think of something.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Danger Zone

I was in the dollar store Friday and I found a large bottle (17 ozs) of Kickin Kajun Habanero sauce. I checked the ingredients and sure enough, habanero is listed as the first ingredient (followed by carrots, onions, vinegar, and garlic).

So the plan was to marinate some chicken thighs and drums in a regular marinade
and marinate a smaller portion in the habanero sauce overnight. Well, we went to a movie tonight and got back too late for me to cook.

So by the time we eat tomorrow, the chicken will have been marinating in habanero sauce for 48 hours!!!

The funny thing is that the garlic and habanero flavors of Kickin Kajun on sale at the dollar store aren't mentioned on their website. It's possible that these are experimental batches.

I'll let you know if I survive the experience tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
The funny thing is that the garlic and habanero flavors of Kickin Kajun on sale at the dollar store aren't mentioned on their website. It's possible that these are experimental batches.
Or cancelled flavors that didn't sell well. Who puts their new stuff in the dollar store?

Hope you live.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Or cancelled flavors that didn't sell well. Who puts their new stuff in the dollar store?

Hope you live.
It's amazing what can be found there. There's sometimes a national brand with some flavor that you don't see on supermarket shelves.

Some flavors are distributed regionally. If you go out west, you will see spicier flavors of snack foods.

I am looking forward to tonights dinner with both fear and anticipation. I'm going to go downstairs and flip over the bags of chicken to redistribute the marinade.