The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #16
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

That's pretty sick seeing that poor chicken running for it's life on fire. I can't understand how people can be so barbaric, and the story of Mike the headless chicken, well that's truly amazing, if it's in fact a real story.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
the story of Mike the headless chicken, well that's truly amazing, if it's in fact a real story.
It is indeed a real story. The chicken was featured in Life Magazine, in the Oct. 22nd 1945 issue, the article is on Page 53 in the Magazine, with the title of the article being Headless Rooster.

A quick Google Search will land you several hits but below is a link that shows the table of contents for that Life Magazine Issue.

http://www.oldlifemagazines.com/mag.php?d=102245
Old 02-09-2004, 10:38 PM   #18
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Again i am reminded of why i HATE human life. i hope everyone that witnessed this torture without stepping in to decrease the chickens pain will feel the pain when what goes around comes back around to them.

People that harm things that cannot fight back are the lowest form of scum that will ever exist. Bastards.

And its because of these uncaring callous countries that these chickens are diseased, because they are so filthy everything living contracts something.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #19
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Those filthy, scummy heathens? Not worshipping the correct God? It's our burden to educate them, give them tooth brushes and whatnot.

Okay, I was laying it on thick. There's obviously a lot of feeling there in this, Sun. I agree that it's pretty needless. Just whack the heads off, then burn them if they need to.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #20
juju
no one of consequence

Why should I care about the pain of a chicken? I only look out for the well-being of other humans so that the race in general will look out for me as well. You know -- "Treat others like you would like to be treated"? There's nothing a chicken can do for me. Therefore, why should I care?

Last edited by juju; 02-10-2004 at 12:56 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #21
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Yeah, juju, there's a strange dichotomy there. Although I eat meat, I don't take pleasure in it's demise. i.e. I won't play with the food; I won't light it on fire and let it run around the yard.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:38 PM   #22
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Thats amazing Juju, i cant even begin to fathom even cosidering having a thought like that. Its just something that has always been my most strongest ever of feelings, issues like this. I see a lot of humans die, and feel next to nothing, but when its an animal.. it just tears me apart.

Ask not what your chicken can do for you, but what you can do for your chicken.

(like say, cut off its head before burning it)
Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #23
juju
no one of consequence

But where's the rationality?

This reminds me of when one my friends said to me, "Wow.. even your emotions are rational!" Maybe she was right...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Not everything has to be rational. I understand why you feel that way, i just dont understand how you _could_ feel that way.

I dont think all humans are equal, I think all life is equal, and i give as much respect to the quality of life to a fish, or a chicken than i do to a baby, or my grandfather.... which is a high amount of respect.

B]JUJU SAID
Treat others like you would like to be treated"? There's nothing a chicken can do for me. Therefore, why should I care?[/b]

You dont eat eggs (or any of the 100000 products made from eggs)? you dont eat chicken? have you ever slept on a feather quilt? have you ever sat on the farmhouse verandah and been relaxed by the soothing pecking of the chickens scratchin round on the lawn?
Old 02-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #25
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
have you ever sat on the farmhouse verandah and been relaxed by the soothing pecking of the chickens scratchin round on the lawn?
I'm just guessing here, but I bet his answer is going to be no.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:03 PM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Why should I care about the pain of a chicken? I only look out for the well-being of other humans so that the race in general will look out for me as well. You know -- "Treat others like you would like to be treated"? There's nothing a chicken can do for me. Therefore, why should I care?
You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat people and animals that can't do a thing for them.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
You dont eat eggs (or any of the 100000 products made from eggs)? you dont eat chicken? have you ever slept on a feather quilt? have you ever sat on the farmhouse verandah and been relaxed by the soothing pecking of the chickens scratchin round on the lawn?
Weelll, that's not what I mean. All those things are beneficial to me, but they come about against the will of the chicken (at least, the first two do, and in the last case, the chicken is completely indifferent). That's not really what I meant by, "What they can do for me". What I mean is, a chicken is not going to stand up for me when I'm being beaten, or help me find food when I am starving.

The whole reason man created civilization and morality is so we can protect each other, group together, and help each other out. We're just more effective that way. Chickens are not smart enough to participate in our group, so there's no good reason to extend morality to them.

Quote:
Not everything has to be rational. I understand why you feel that way, i just dont understand how you _could_ feel that way.

I dont think all humans are equal, I think all life is equal, and i give as much respect to the quality of life to a fish, or a chicken than i do to a baby, or my grandfather.... which is a high amount of respect.
I prefer everything to be rational. Why would you give the same respect to a fish and a human baby? A fish can't do anything for you except die so you can eat it.

I do see what you're saying, though. I just find the discussion interesting.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #28
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I just mean that i would feel as much pain and sorrow for a tortured dying animal as i would for a tortured/ dying human. If not more because its so helpless. Its just like when the retarded kids used to get picked on at school - they couldnt do anything about it, they didnt even know why it was happening, I am upset that certain people in the human race can inflict or tolerate such behaviour, which makes my views on the human race even more frowned upon.

I dont really care if animals do nothing for me, It would give me satisfaction just to see them in safety and comfort. Just because they cant vote for me, or drive me to work in the morning doesn't mean i shouldn't care weather or not they are running around on fire.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:49 PM   #29
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

So thats why the chicken crossed the road!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #30
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Where's quzah?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal, chicken