The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #5716
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

____________________That makes me want to cry.
_________________________________\
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #5717
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Die, screechy scum, die!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #5718
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
So I'm registered with two state labor job banks and have been looking now for some months. Today I searched for jobs with a min salary of 25K (~12.50/hr)

They want degrees in engineering and multiple years experience in the field.

The warehouse forklift job (min wage) only requires a HS diploma but requires a year of warehouse experience with pallet jacks and fork trucks, with NO OTJ!

Where the fuck are the jobs?

Last week I applied for a bakery job, the online app took 45min to fill out for a minimum wage job that expected three years of bakery experience AND full knowledge of health and safety codes for restaurants, determining product pricing, and ordering and maintaining inventory. Oh and also culinary school experience.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #5719
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's catch 22, foots...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #5720
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
So I'm registered with two state labor job banks and have been looking now for some months. Today I searched for jobs with a min salary of 25K (~12.50/hr)

They want degrees in engineering and multiple years experience in the field.

The warehouse forklift job (min wage) only requires a HS diploma but requires a year of warehouse experience with pallet jacks and fork trucks, with NO OTJ!

Where the fuck are the jobs?

Last week I applied for a bakery job, the online app took 45min to fill out for a minimum wage job that expected three years of bakery experience AND full knowledge of health and safety codes for restaurants, determining product pricing, and ordering and maintaining inventory. Oh and also culinary school experience.
I hear ya. I've been going fast and hard for a few months now. I'm not tryin' to be Pope. Or even astronaut. But the scrutiny is really intense. No probs with the interviews or skills tests, or the background checks or the piss tests. There's always one more thing. (Columbo...but one more thing...)

It's crazy.

I have some good tugs lately but who knows if they'll pan out? Just make sure you can dance like Baryshnikov if'n you're 50 or older. It's very important you can do that.

:hugz:
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #5721
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Note to my downstairs neighbour.
Either get up or switch your flipping alarm off.
You had me searching the flat for MONTHS thinking it was mine. Now you've moved it, which proved it.

Now I can deal with Dana sleeping through a nuclear attack. Because I love her, she can sleep through my snoring, and anyway when we share a room in Glasgow, she's near enough to for me to brain her. [see different thread for reason I try not to share, inc sleep talking and screaming meemies - poor Limey]

So anyway, downstairs neighbour.
Switch it off or I'm sending the boys round. And that includes Carrot.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #5722
Griff
still says videotape

I hear you foot. Somehow we're in an economy where you have to stay on your original career path regardless. Good thing we're middle-aged white guys because we have all the advantages.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #5723
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah. For a long time with me, it was, why do you want to work at a cafeteria making $12? We have plenty of high school kids willing to do this job. All along I thought that, because I'm heavily overqualified, that means I automatically get any of those kinds of jobs. It turns out you always have to fit the preconceived notion of what kind of person will fit that job.

In "American Beauty", Lester can't actually get that fast food job. In "Office Space", Peter can't really get that construction job.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #5724
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Part of it is they also assume that the minute you get something better, you'll leave and have wasted their time.

This is why I think I'm probably a low-level sociopath--lying would be my very first instinct in this situation, to the point that I'm confused when other people don't do it. Just say you have no job history. You never moved out of your parents' house, but now your mom has finally died and your dad has kicked you out. Act a little dumb, not a lot but slip in "ain't" and "got no" a few times. If they have a preconceived notion, all you have to do is fit it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #5725
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sadly, that makes more than a little sense.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #5726
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I'm with you on the lying 100%. Unfortunately my vocabulary gives me away; words that I think are ordinary, everyday words, are not so everyday. I highly edit my work history, especially when I realized if I mention a job I took as a stop gap they will reason I worked for 15 bucks an hour before so they'll offer me 10.

I had more to post on this topic but I'll get too angry.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #5727
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"How did you get fired from the pool job Footer?"

"I told them that we needed highly delineated lines of authority to maximize productivity, and that emptying the trash liners was Ashley's bailiwick."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #5728
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

snortle
Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #5729
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Heheheh.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #5730
monster
I hear them call the tide

with you too foot. or is that three foot?

Tags
mild cheddar