The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

I've noticed this year, that a few of us have had our dear pets cross over the bridge from this life to a much better one.

Today, my Maxwell joined them.

He didn't suffer at all, and was in the care of his Vet when it occurred.

For the past few weeks, Max had been very lethargic. Sleeping more than anything else, devloping a cough that was a little troubling, and starting to not groom himself. The Vet said that with his age, we would do some minor tests, but anything invasive would be more traumatic to him than what the Vet thought he could endure.

I noticed on Sunday afternoon, that Max had taken up residence under my bed. While it's not unlike him to find a spot and camp out in it for a while, there was nothing at all I could do to lure him out. Treats were ignored, his favorite toy, he didn't want. He wasn't eating (even his favorite, chicken), would only drink if i took the bowl to him, and wasn't using his litterbox. Yesterday, I called the vet, who asked me to bring him in. I made the appointment for this morning. Last night, for about a half hour, Max was his 'old' self. Mooching, purring, and being a general goofball. But it didn't last very long. He went back under the bed, and any time I went to check on him, he would hiss, and then meow pitifully. I knew, he wasn't feeling that good at all.

This morning, with just a basic examination, the vet told me that his liver was about 5 times larger than its normal size. His intestines felt like they were 'little sausages', and he was having trouble breathing due to the size of his liver and the other problems. Without doing surgery to make certain, he said he was fairly (about 95 percent) sure that what was wrong with Max was cancer that had started in his liver and spread all through his body. He said that it was a very real possiblity that Maxwell wouldn't live through the end of the month, and if anything, he would suffer from the pain. He'd already lost 3 pounds, was down from 10 to about 7, was losing his hair, and was pretty unresponsive unless you really pushed him. He said that the best thing we could do for him, would be to help him be comfortable. <script><!-- D(["mb","
\r\n
\r\nSo we did.*
\r\n
\r\nI wish I could say that he wasn\'t scared or nervous - because he\r\nwas.* Max never did like car rides or strange places.* But he\r\nwas calm when the vet examined him - didn\'t meow at all.* When I\r\nwas holding him before he went to sleep, I told him that everyone who\r\nknew him loved him, and we would all miss him.* He\'d developed\r\nthis habit lately of patting me with his paw, almost as if to tell me\r\nthat it was okay.* Well, before the vet gave him his medicine, he\r\nreached out and put his paw on my hand, and meowed softly.* I\r\nthink he knew...and wanted me to know it was okay.
\r\n
\r\nMax has been a huge part of my life ever since he came to live with\r\nme.* A constant companion, minor nusiance when he was \'fixated\' on\r\nsomething, and all around best friend.There\'s something about a pet\r\nthat loves you unconditionally that makes them so very special.*\r\nMax will have a constant place in my heart.* There will never be\r\nanother neurotic little man like him.
\r\n
\r\nPlease hug Trouble and Furball for me.* I have some fairly recent photos of him if you\'d like one.* Just let me know.
\r\n
\r\nKellie
",1] ); D(["mb","
--
Life will be the death of me yet...
But I\'m enjoying it while it lasts!

\r\n\r\n",0] ); D(["ce"]); D(["ms","b08d"] ); //--></script>

So we did.

I wish I could say that he wasn't scared or nervous - because he was. Max never did like car rides or strange places. But he was calm when the vet examined him - didn't meow at all. When I was holding him before he went to sleep, I told him that everyone who knew him loved him, and we would all miss him. He'd developed this habit lately of patting me with his paw, almost as if to tell me that it was okay. Well, before the vet gave him his medicine, he reached out and put his paw on my hand, and meowed softly. I think he knew...and wanted me to know it was okay.

Max has been a huge part of my life ever since he came to live with me. A constant companion, minor nusiance when he was 'fixated' on something, and all around best friend.There's something about a pet that loves you unconditionally that makes them so very special. Max will have a constant place in my heart. There will never be another neurotic little man like him.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Pets are precious and their loss leaves a gap which can never be filled.
Hugs.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So sorry to hear of your loss, Dagney. The burden of grief is made lighter by sharing, we all get to carry a little with you. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Yeah, it helps, unfortunately, it feels like that's all I have to share anymore

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
eiffelenator
Irrelevant Adulterant

:T..
my regards
eiffelenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sorry to hear about your loss, Dags. All of my pets are terribly, terribly dear to me and my family - even my damn giant fish - and I understand what you've gone through. Blessings to you and yours.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

Sorry to hear that, Dagney. I went through a similar situation - I had to put a cat to sleep that developed seizures - it is such a terrible thing.

You will get through it and did the right thing. Hugs to you!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dag, thanks for giving Max a great life.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
feesh13
Romantic Necromancer

*hugs* He is feeling better now. Our pets are like our kids too. I hope you are doing ok.
feesh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Shit.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I'm so sorry for you, Dag.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

warm, healing thoughts, dag. you did the right thing. be easy with yourself, now. And you can still love Max as much as ever. so sorry!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

I hope that there is a special place in kitty heaven for Maxwell...
[j/k] but I hope that there is a special place in Hell for you for making me cry at work[/j/k except for the crying part].
I've been in the same situation many times with pets -- it's always hard to know when to let them go.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

I'm sorry for your loss. You are so lucky to have that last gesture of forgiveness from Max... He knew you were doing the right thing.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

It's a hard call deciding when a pet is no longer getting joy out of life and that ending their suffering is for the best. It sounds to me like Max was in pain (cats find a safe spot and lie still when in pain) and easing it was the last act of love you could do for him.

That doesn't make it easier and I feel for your loss.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote