The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Foot.That is the longest post I have ever read of yours.
And quite a good post it was.

I realize that I am not completely fulfilled. I would love to be a writer, but I'm not. I would love to paint, but I can't. I would love to have the eye of a photographer, but I don't.

I have no bliss to follow, no talent to hone. Perhaps that is my big obstacle in life, what keeps me from being truly happy. I see the beauty in the arts, I am able to appreciate it all...but I have no contributions to make.

I'm a jill of all trades, a mistress of none.

Or it could be my mid-life talking.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #32
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Well, I think you probably do have some sort of bliss to follow, it sounds to me more like you won't allow yourself to (for whatever reason). Maybe the place to start is just taking a class without expectation and seeing where that leads.

Another really really helpful thing, if you are truly serious about wanting to do something artistic with your life is to get a copy of the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and do all the exercises in it. Won't do shit for your abs, but after you're done, you'll know where your bliss lies or doesn't.

One of my teachers had us do the exercises in the book one semester and I will say that was one of the most valuable classes I had in my 7 years of college.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
Shawnee123

Thanks. I'll look for that book.

Cool, just found it available at the library!

Too bad my stupid town wouldn't pass the library levy and it's now closed on Sunday.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #34
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

well this has been a great thread so far!!

Shawnee and foot - you both amaze me. I enjoyed reading your posts and learning more about both of you along with the others who have contributed to the thread.

Shawnee - I feel very much as you do, i.e., I love the arts but have no talent. This made me very sad and morose for a while until I realized that the world needs people like us to appreciate the art! My role is to discern and learn and love it - not produce it. I have learned to live with that. I am also very good at encouraging others and I make a wonderful Gal Friday. College taught me that I don't want to write the paper, but I do want to HELP write the paper. I'm good at research (literary research, etc) I am not the genius but I am the genius helper. That's ok.

I went and got a degree in English (concentration in literature - how useless is that!) for the sheer love of lit. and reading, poetry and prose. I took nearly exclusively classes like art history, literature, religion, etc. That was my bliss. I'm glad I went. It was an invaluable experience - one I wouldn't have been able to appreciate at the age of 19, etc. (I would've been too busy goofing around and drinking beers)

One of the most important things that I did learn was that too much education can actually ruin your bliss - by the end of my time I didn't care if I never wrote another effing paper again. See? It was time to go.

I took an entire class based on "The Artists Way" and Loved it. Please do it - do the exercises and read the book. It's wonderful and it opens up all kinds of nooks and cranies in your soul. Do it!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
No education is wasted. I wouldn't trade my education for anything: even the classes many might find useless, like art history and literature and archery, etc. It's all still up here in my tiny little brain, and I read and learn more every single day. I consider myself an exceptionally well-rounded human being, terminal job and all.
I agree.

Though in my own little part of the world, the ground is shifting under our feet in the academic sector.

In the latest cuts round, the government has announced it is slashing university teaching grants by 80%. The government will no longer pay universities the per-student subsidy for Arts and Humanties students.

Consequently, only the top research universities will be able to offer good arts and humanties courses, and they will be freed up to charge three times the current fees to make up the shortfall. Only the wealthy or those willing to take on very large student debt (again primarily those drawn from reasonably affluent families: working-class children are generally less willing to take on that debt) will go down the arts or humanties route.

Working-class children and those from large families, will be 'persuaded' by the system towards more technical, scientific and vocational courses.

Learning for learning's sake was still a prime directive of the university system until the last few years. More and more emphasis has been placed on university education as a means to emplyment: this has increased the need for degree courses to show direct links with employability and seriously downgraded the position of humanities focussed or arts focussed courses within universities.

Watch this space. Over the next ten years the university sector in the Uk will separate into distinct bands of education: with the top tiers commanding fees of £10-20k per annum and the lower tier £3 -6k. At the same time there will be a separating off of study types between these universities: with the high-fee universities offering broad choices and a rounded education, and the low-fee universities offering cut-down two year degree courses without any of the frills and extras, and with a narrow choice of courses focussed on employability rather than learning.

Alongside this, the reduction in state subsidiies will level the playing field for private universities and colleges to offer their own proprietary courses. State involvement in university education will shrink and the private sector will expand.

Already I see the difference in my own university. And as a high ranking Russell Group research institution, we are protected from many of the ill effects of these changes. The choice of undergrad courses is shrinking, the level of funding in our department has been slashed, the opportunities for post grad study have shrunk.

When I was 18 years old, I could have attended Cambridge or Oxford and the level of student debt accrued would have been identical to what I'd have accrued attending any other university. Even a few years ago when I was going back into education, had I been able to prove my quality, through having the right qualifications, I could have gone to either of the Oxbridge universities and the cost to me would have been the same as the cost of going to Leeds Uni. As long as I had the grades, and passed the interview, finances wold not have been a factor in my choice.

My eldest niece is approaching 17 and making similar decisions. She is thinking she may not go to uni because of the level of debt. By the time she is old enough to apply, in a year's time, Cambridge or Oxford will represent 3x the debt of other universities.

We have over the last few decades done a good deal in Britain to dissolve some of the class distinctions that were so apparent in our people. Now we are going out of our way to reinstate them.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-12-2010 at 07:22 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Very interesting and yet harsh realities.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #37
Shawnee123

Quote:
well this has been a great thread so far!!
I agree. It was a nice exchange of ideas, ideologies...

I was happy to see Dana's take too. I'd hoped she would give some insight from the other side of the pond.

A few kindred spirits hanging about.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 12-13-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
Nirvana
Back in 10

I have no words of wisdom to impart but these 5 ft snow drifts here are freaking me out
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #39
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Well, I think you probably do have some sort of bliss to follow, it sounds to me more like you won't allow yourself to (for whatever reason). Maybe the place to start is just taking a class without expectation and seeing where that leads.

Another really really helpful thing, if you are truly serious about wanting to do something artistic with your life is to get a copy of the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and do all the exercises in it. Won't do shit for your abs, but after you're done, you'll know where your bliss lies or doesn't.

One of my teachers had us do the exercises in the book one semester and I will say that was one of the most valuable classes I had in my 7 years of college.
I second this.

Actually, when I read your first paragraph, foot3, that book immediately came to mind.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I love the arts but have no talent. This made me very sad and morose for a while until I realized that the world needs people like us to appreciate the art! My role is to discern and learn and love it - not produce it. I have learned to live with that.
Model for, and encourage, art students.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #41
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's freaking me out?

My sweetie is sick and there is nothing I can do for her.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure there is, flowers, candy, Kleenex. Bitches love Kleenex.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #43
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
My sweetie is sick and there is nothing I can do for her.
I did something for her. I was in bed for two days. I will have to get better to be healthy enough to die.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote