The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Best Bargain-Bin Movie

What's your favorite bargain movie? You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that went straight to video and then no one ever watched? The ones you can buy for the same price or less than you can rent other movies. Some of these are actually pretty good. Though almost certainly bizarre.
     My vote goes to 'Nature of the Beast' starring Eric Roberts and Lance Henriksen. Roberts is an ex-con junkie nut job and Henrikson is a salesman that has a secret. Good stuff. No good guys around so no chance of the bad guy losing. My favorite line, "The monkey don't shit where the crocodile sleeps." Don't let the opening scene fool you, it's a guy in a car that is obviously being murdered but the car rocks like it had an entire cheerleading squad getting banged in a syncronized rythym for longer than alot of cars with cheerleaders in 'em have been rocked. Don't judge the movie by that. It's got bloody murder, drugs and sex (don't worry Henriksen isn't involved in the last) so it can't be all bad.
     Number two for me has to be 'Mr.Frost' starring Jeff Goldblum as the devil. Very "B" movie, but some fairly creepy moments. It's old so it's much more likely to have been seen than the former movie. Check 'em both out.
     So, what movies should I watch the bin for?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

I <i>really</i> liked The Cube. Even when it was new, most video stores never had more than one or two copies if it. I won't go into the plot, because I think it's better to be surprised. But if anyone's curious they can just follow the link.

It's very cool, though. I'd watch it again, and I never watch movies again.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dittos on The Cube

My boss lent me a copy of it when it came out. I'll also avoid mentioning anything about it. Except cheese slicer.

COOL.

My vote for bargain bin goodness ... Live Wire starring Pierce Brosnan (post Remington Steele, pre Bond)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Well I have one Redneck Zombies! Almost one you would not really want people to know you own...lol
Or even better anything from Full Moon Pictures...lol also Dark Star cheesy sci - fi.
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
dave

I saw The Cube in Toronto a few years ago. And it was, in my opinion, awful. Whew.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I've always enjoyed The Cannonball Run just for sheer frivolous mindless entertainment. I think I paid $8 for the DVD. (I admit, I haven't watched it with the director's audio commentary yet.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I saw The Cube in Toronto a few years ago. And it was, in my opinion, awful. Whew.
That is probably because you watched it in Toronto. Try watching it on this side of the border. It will be better.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Jakeline
Disorderly Orderly

For some odd reason, I found Legend of Drunken Master in the bargain bin the other day. I'm still not sure why I didn't pick it up. Probably because I'm an idiot.
Jakeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Actually that movie is really old. So was Operation Condor. I saw the sequal to OC a few years before it first came out over here. It's a side effect of Jackie Chan becoming popular after he'd done a few dozen movies in China.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In the same zone, I picked up "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist" yesterday. It was in a bonus pak DVD with "Big Trouble in Little China" which meant that "Kung Pow" would only cost another $2. So I bought it.

I bought it because critics said it was the worst movie of last year. But it's supposed to be one of those things where 1 in 100 people think it's great. So we'll see. Did anyone see it?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As long as you got Big Trouble, then it was worth it. Definately one of, if not the best 'B' movies ever. Way to many great lines in that one...
Old 03-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #12
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

This goes here [Doh!]:

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
Battle Beyond the Stars, 1980. John Boy! Hannibal Smith! Robert Vaughan!

It's the Magnificent Seven set in space. Robert Vaughan reprises his role [nearly] in this movie, plus there's a helf-nekkid Sybil Danning in this flick.

Drink beer. It's better with beer.

---

Aw crap! This was supposed to be in the bargain movie bin heading!
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:06 PM   #13
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Circle of Iron. Very entertaining story written by James Coburn and Bruce Lee, starring David Carradine, Jeff Cooper, Roddy Mcdowell, and Christopher Lee. It shows up on USA about once or twice a year.

The Book of All Knowlege in the very end of the movie is very subtle or heavy handed, depending on how you look at it, but a very true message. The production values for this movie are really good. I'm going to try and find this somewhere.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:02 PM   #14
dave

<b>Commando</b>. It might run you $10, but man... worth EVERY PENNY!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #15
juju
no one of consequence

Swimming With Sharks. Kevin Spacy plays horribly mean and insane boss, and Frank Whaley is his assistant. It's really funny and really intense at the same time. If I had a list of my top 5 movies of all time, this movie would be in it.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote