The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
mysmartmouth
Forum Junkie

Best Antivirus

Hello,

Do you guys think Norton or Symantec is better? I am purchasing a firewall for my new computer, and would like advice.

Thanks!
mysmartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysmartmouth
Hello,

Do you guys think Norton or Symantec is better? I am purchasing a firewall for my new computer, and would like advice.

Thanks!
Norton *is* Symantec. Symantec purchased Norton many years back. For a number of years Norton Antivirus has not been getting good reviews, with the 2006 version being the worst. I used NA from 1.0 through to 2005. I have read reviews of the 2007 version, and they are mixed. The engine has been streamlined, so it runs faster, but there has been much criticism of the built-in firewall. I use NOD32 which gets top ratings:

http://www.checkvir.com/
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

You can download a trial version of NOD32 - lasts for 30 days - http://www.eset.com/download/index.php. The configuration of NOD32 is complex, but the default settings will give you very thorough protection. The support forums for NOD32 are on Wilders Security, and there is a very detailed explanation of the settings in the NOD32 version 2 forum.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I know the answer, but I'm not going to tell you ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Wolf is correct.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Neither.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
rkzenrage

Norton sucks, their service sucks, everything about that company sucks.
I have had a lot of software and I can honestly say, with surprise and without hesitation, the best I have ever had is eTrust from RoadRunner.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I am using the NOD32. It keeps wanting to send a kernel package. What is that about?

RE: Symantic
I don't like Norton either. It is a bloaty thing. I know this isn't about Firewalls but I guess Norton 'symantic' bought Sygate technology so it is not longer available for free ??? but I managed to find a working link the other day.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...e_firew_1.html

This is an 2005 report but regardless I was happy to find Sygate available and free.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I am using the NOD32. It keeps wanting to send a kernel package. What is that about?
Send or receive? If you have Automatic Program component updates turned on, it may be wanting to download an update to its engine, which you should allow. If it is sending out, it might have detected a suspicious dll or something in Windows, and wants to send a report back to Eset. If it was me, I would do an "In-depth analysis" scan (click on NOD32 in the left pane of the control center, then several scan options appear in the right pane).

You can trust NOD32 to do the right thing, so I would tell your firewall that it is OK. It's not rated the #1 antivirus program for no reason. The only thing I dislike about it, is that you have to configure each module separately (AMON, DMON, IMON, EMON, NOD32), and Eset has not grouped the common options in one place. I know this gives you fine control, but even their own setup guide recommends the same common settings for each module.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
TRICK QUESTION!!!
Abstinence is the best antivirus protection.

bwwwwwwwwahhhhhhhhhahhaaaaaaaaaaa.

fuck you
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I just went back and looked at mSm's last 7 posts.

You ain't gonna last long around these parts, buddy.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Norton makes their upgrades complicated so that the user ends up downloading the complete suite of products. When it comes to upgrading the product, a simple credit card purchase should be obvious and simple. Any additional software should be obvious that it is another product.

Norton does not do that to multiple users. I have been asked to fix it only to discover they have now downloaded an additional $80 in unnecessary Norton software.

McAfee works and its upgrade is predictable. Others have (in the past two years) had so many problems with Norton upgrades that I have been telling everyone to abandon Symantec Norton. One user with Windows 2000 keeps purchasing from Norton the upgrade which does not work on Windows 2000. And they keep upgrading him with that defective software because Norton's license renewal process is that complex. His problem has been ongoing since early November.

There is no decent reason for their license renewal to have become so complex - other than greed. Get the McAfee and don't even look back. If using Norton, when they try to sell you the whole new package all over again, instead, buy the McAfee. Every Norton upgrade by a layman user has been that troublesome.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

thank you
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:20 AM   #13
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
There is no decent reason for their license renewal to have become so complex - other than greed. Get the McAfee and don't even look back. If using Norton, when they try to sell you the whole new package all over again, instead, buy the McAfee. Every Norton upgrade by a layman user has been that troublesome.
I agree with much of what you say, but McAfee has been criticised too. I started with McAfee when I purchased my first pc in the late 80s, but then swapped to Norton AV (when it was first released), because I had been using Norton Utilities which, in their day, were great. Symantec destroyed all of Norton's credibility, and unfortunately, McAfee seems to have copied some of Symantec's bad traits.

I am only a new user to NOD32 (a few weeks), but I did a thorough investigation before I purchased it, and two friends who work in PC security recommended it. I would still recommend NOD32 over McAfee, based on the reviews I have already cited, and just about every PC magazine has rated it the best in detection and removal of viruses, root kits, etc.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
... based on the reviews I have already cited, and just about every PC magazine has rated it the best in detection and removal of viruses, root kits, etc.
I just took apart another infection on a computer 'protected' by Norton. The details. Notepad was connecting to the internet. Of course, when the infection files were removed in the registry, et al, then they returned - the usual behavior of malware. Eventually, another file in Windows directory was found named Notepad with system and hidden attributes. This was a zombie. Norton never saw it. It apparently entered on an e-mail attachment. Norton never saw it coming in and Norton never saw the zombie sitting there waiting for instructions from the internet.

My experience is that Norton and McAfee have both failed. I see no difference in one over the other when it comes to protection. But the Norton has repeatedly required them to call me for assistance. I never get the setup and license renewal problems with McAfee.

BTW, for those who use AOL and are considering something else, first, upgrade to AOL's latest version (10?) where AOL finally provide workable protection. Execute that protection for free (because so many users of older AOL have malware). IOW upgrade only to finally clean your computer with their now free spam and antivirus software before terminating the AOL accounts. Every AOL connected machine I encountered contained malware. AOL finally addressed the problem with the latest AOL browser – too little too late.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #15
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
I would still recommend NOD32 over McAfee, based on the reviews I have already cited, and just about every PC magazine has rated it the best in detection and removal of viruses, root kits, etc.
tw, if you are going to quote me, at least get it right, please. You make it look like I am recommending Norton, when I in fact did the opposite.