The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
xtreemgmr84
Rapscallion

Films to games vs. Games to films

Harry Potter, The Matrix and LOTR have very cool video games that are co-branded with the release of the films. Star Wars has spawned more games than any other movie I can think of. What about films that are a genesis of games. I can think of Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat, but not too many others. Any cool ideas? What about games that you think would make really cool fictional movies? These are some of my votes:

1. Rachet & Clank (http://www.ratchetandclankgadgets.com/#)
2. Splinter Cell (http://www.splintercell.com/us/)
3. I-Ninja (http://www.ininjagame.com/) I could see Pixar taking this game for a real ride!
xtreemgmr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
September
trigonomic identity

Choice game ---> movie:

Mario Brothers
Street Fighter

If by choice, I mean....not so much.
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by September
Street Fighter
Oh, God. The horror.
Please, let's just move on.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Although it had almost nothing to do with any Final Fantasy game - I thought the movie was fairly decent. Not great but more passable than any other game to movie that comes to mind.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:04 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Very, very occasionally movies make good games. The notable exceptions to the Movies make suck-ass games rule are the Star Wars games, 007 Goldeneye, Mission: Impossible, and (for me anyway) Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, but I have been more often disappointed by movie-based games, like Fifth Element. I disliked the gameplay of the Harry Potter games, maybe it's because they were targeted for a younger audience?

I did like the game based on the TV show CSI, but found it to be too short. Finished that bad boy in less than two days. I think there is a Law and Order game from the same company, might give that one a try.

Games, however, do make suck-ass movies. Mario Brothers? Come ON!! I have a very high tolerance for B-movie crap and that was just execrable, even with Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:21 AM   #6
dave

I'll disagree about the game based on "The Matrix" being good. 'Cause honestly, I think it was rushed out. It needed to be released right about... next week. And it shipped on May. What a shame. Because... it sucked. It sucked bad.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Enter The Matrix was pretty crap, and I'm pretty sure the UN ratified a treaty making it an internationally-recognized crime to acknowledge the existence of the Street Fighter movie in any context whatsoever.

But yeah, the game based off of Two Towers was surprisingly good. It literally broke the rule that games based on movies are all crap. And from what I'm hearing, Return of the King is only better.

As for movies based off of games, I don't know about you folks, but I really dug Resident Evil and am looking forward to RE2: Apocalypse. Milla Jovovich was a great casting decision for Alice, and the film was just extremely well done as a whole. There was never any situations you had with, for example, the-movie-that-shall-not-be-named, where you could feel the producers abandoning every semblance of plot and story development in order to shovel as many aspects of the game that fans recognize into the film.

RE flowed very nicely, with no shoehorn sections. If RE2 lives up to the predecessor, it'll be a theater ticket well purchased.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:58 PM   #8
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

three words:

pong: the movie.

who of us can doubt the emotional content to be found in the triumph of the green paddle over the blue?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:21 PM   #9
xtreemgmr84
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthOfNoNorth
three words:

pong: the movie.

who of us can doubt the emotional content to be found in the triumph of the green paddle over the blue?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChewbaccusBut yeah, the game based off of Two Towers was surprisingly good. It literally broke the rule that games based on movies are all crap. And from what I'm hearing, Return of the King is only better.
I just got the Two Towers on DVD. Never played the game tho... might have to rent that one.

I played the I-ninja game last night for the first time and I thought it was great. I don't think you have to be a fan of platformers in order to like it either. I happen to enjoy platformers anyway, but I-ninja has several clever moves that set it apart for me. He has some fun attack moves and some wall-running techniques that are unique to the game. I think the actual game is much better than the demo, but if you haven't even played the demo yet, it's worth your while if you want a fun platformer; http://www.ininjagame.com
Old 11-26-2003, 05:23 PM   #10
xtreemgmr84
Rapscallion

I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten the gamecube version of I-Ninja and played the Pac Man Vs. that comes with it. The description of it sounds pretty fun;

Quote:
Pac-Man vs. takes advantage of the connectivity initiative between the GameCube and Game Boy Advance by allowing one player (on the GBA) to control Pac-Man himself, while three other players (on the GameCube) will man the game’s ghosts and attempt to track down Pac-Man. The Player who catches Pac-Man then becomes the dot-gobbler.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 PM   #11
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Pac-Man Vs is kick. ass. My coworkers and I gave it a try during E3, and we couldn't stop playing. We'd play a round, go away for five, ten minutes, then come right back.

That, LoZ: Link to the Past - The Four Swords, and Mario Kart: Double Dash. Best non-deathmatch multiplayers I've ever played.