The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 08-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Do People Get Off?

There's a few of us who post compared to the vast minions who do not post. You can say those of us who post are deluded or addicted or manic-depressive or marginally unaware or wholly caught up in the right-wing wandering of whatever. The fact is that some of the registered members post. Our feelings about fellow posters may (or, sneakiliy enough) may NOT be detected. My question is this: Are you, Unposting Member, Toying with our Innermost Feelings Or Worse? Are you vampires on our lives? Do you secretly LOVE our flirtations with one another? Root for certain things and decry others? Do you add any psychic energy to all of this?

*sobbing*'

I must know! I must know before I post any more!

'K. I'm kidding.

But. Still.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 08-19-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Brooke of the Land
obsequious purple and clairvoiant

Before I became caught up in this crazy little web, I used to watch threads and secretly wish one thing or another would happen. Or I'd think of a quirkly reply to a post, and wait for someone to say something similar... or in most cases, something much funnier. I think the lurkers out there care much more than they'd like to admit.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

presently I am in tears and snot and crying... bullshit..

Whatever.

Goddamn you library-seeking fucx.

Yours.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
presently I am in tears and snot and crying... bullshit..

Whatever.

Goddamn you library-seeking fucx.

Yours.
Bri, maybe you should be posting here?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Lurkers come back for the content.
or
Lurkers come back for the drama.
or
Lurkers come back because their jobs a mind-numbingly boring.
or
Lurkers come back to make LJ & Brianna nuts.

I admit I sometimes wonder why lurkers just lurk, no resentment, just curiosity.

Maybe they lurk for they same reason fish owners don't jump in the aquarium. They feel they don't belong, or they're above such antics or fear of being rejected after reading the theatrical wailing and farewell of the MsSparkie types.

Speaking of which(whom?), when she first arrived she sent me a PM asking how to post a picture. I responded with a detailed, step-by-step, instruction....no problem. I have trouble following some of the descriptions in computer stuff myself. But when she responded with "I hate reading instruction manuals and love to go by trial and error...LOL", I suspected she was one of those selfish people that don't care how difficult she makes it for the people trying to follow threads or check what's new. I was right.
Accusing people of not having a sense of humor, when her sense of humor is always at someone else's expense.
Hopefully, that kind of bullshit won't put people off.

I'm sure that every one of the lurkers has something to contribute.... wisdom, in general or on a particular topic.... experience, even if it's an example of what not to do.......opinion, now everybody has those, everybody...just because someone else has said what you think, doesn't mean you shouldn't add your 2 cents.

I'm sure there can't be anybody left in the world I haven't pissed off at least once, so come on in and tell me so. If you wait till I piss you off and then you have to register before you rant, you'll lose some momentum. Register now, then you can wait, like a Bobcat perched on a rock, and you won't lose any momentum.

Don't let any of this, lay a guilt trip on you for not contributing. Lurking is an honorable pastime and just as important as we loudmouths....honest.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
glatt

I bet that at any given time there are a bunch of lurkers, but that it's not the same lurkers. People just stumble across this site when doing a Google search. They read a bit and move on. The one place that's probably not true is the IotD threads. I bet there are a lot of repeat lurkers there. If they get into it, many join after a while.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I've been here a couple of years and you've yet to piss me off. I feel rejected, like if you really cared about me you'd piss me off.

*mope*
Old 08-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Speaking of which(whom?), when she first arrived she sent me a PM asking how to post a picture. I responded with a detailed, step-by-step, instruction....no problem. I have trouble following some of the descriptions in computer stuff myself. But when she responded with "I hate reading instruction manuals and love to go by trial and error...LOL", I suspected she was one of those selfish people that don't care how difficult she makes it for the people trying to follow threads or check what's new. I was right.
Accusing people of not having a sense of humor, when her sense of humor is always at someone else's expense.
Was that really necessary/appropriate?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #9
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Well shit, nobody has pissed me off yet - that must say something REALLY bad about me?
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:06 AM   #10
rkzenrage

Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Was that really necessary/appropriate?
A good bad example is always appropriate, Grasshopper. :p
Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*chuckles* fair do's
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Sometimes I semi-lurk. I tend to stay away from the political discussions because of my penchant for taking things too personally. I will often add a comment, one that I think might be funny, in the more light-hearted threads. Sometimes someone angers me and I will go off a bit. More often than not, I find my responses completely ignored. I say to myself "Self? Is it possible that you are not nearly as clever as you think you are? Nahhhhh."

However, even with the threads I don't participate in, I am immensely entertained and intriqued by the conversation, the sometimes arguments, the verbal spars.

I just love the Cellar!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
More often than not, I find my responses completely ignored. I say to myself "Self? Is it possible that you are not nearly as clever as you think you are? Nahhhhh."
See?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
glatt

If nobody responds to you, it probably means that everyone agrees with you or that your post didn't have any loose strings that needed wrapping up. For example, your earlier post above is something that there really is no response to. A person might go "Hmm." But that's about it.

If your posts are like a pebble in a shoe, then you will get more attention. Or if you say something that is clearly wrong and need correcting.

Not getting a response isn't such a bad thing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote