The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #2011
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

At work. We operate an apartment building for the students.

As for you, Dana... well, if you need ribbing, we'll see what we can do.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #2012
imadiscoduck
Jessie

one thing that annoyed me today: loose change. it kept falling out of my billfold somehow.
imadiscoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #2013
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But it's a billfold, not a changefold.
Ah, must be a chick.

Welcome to the Cellar, imadiscoduck.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #2014
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

More like a duckling....

Women dont normally use billfolds, btw.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #2015
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Well he is finally on the mend. Our little Aussie Cattle dog that is. My wife said he found a big rattlesnake last Sunday and I was skeptical that it really found one. So I along with said dog headed to the bush, me with a large fireplace poker, the dog with his natural curiosity and desire to protect. Well we found it. And it almost found me first. We could hear it rattle in the exact spot that the wife said it had been days earlier, which makes be believe it was a large female laying eggs. The dog poked his head in barking and jumped out a few times. I put the dog in the screened porch and got the handgun. I poked around a few more times and found it literally at my feet ready to strike. I dispatched it with the handgun to snake-heaven and then shot it a few more times. It was quite huge. About as big around in the middle as a man’s two hands grasping a fire hose. Approximately 3.5 feet long, a little over a meter for the rest of you. I had trouble holding it up with the fireplace tongs with one hand. I have some pics but will have to post them later. We did not realize the dog had been bit at first. It was about 15 min later when we saw him walking around unsteadily with his ears down and drooling. I grabbed him and you could see the strike mark on his left upper lip. Well of course it was a Sunday and the regular vet was not open so we had to rush him to town and the 24 emergency vet clinic. It was expensive but not as expensive as it could have been. He did not need the anti-venom which is $700 a shot. The vet said we were lucky that it was a mature snake because they tend to give warning strikes and not unload their "wad" (as she put it) all at once, smaller snakes tend to "drop their load" all at once because they don't know better. She put him on steroids, antibiotics, and antihistamines, and pain killers. His face swelled up and he couldn't eat for about 2-3 days. He is on the mend but still not himself. They are smart dogs and I bet he will remember that tell tale sound of the rattle but who knows, he is a dog. After a week I just expected him to bounce back to his crazy self. A friend of mine who had a bigger dog said his dog was never the same after being bitten. Keeping my fingers crossed for a different outcome.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #2016
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Lucky dog, hope he's gooder than new, quickly.
Between the daughter and the dog, lucky you, too.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #2017
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
.... mature snake because they tend to give warning strikes and not unload their "wad" (as she put it) all at once, smaller snakes tend to "drop their load" all at once because they don't know better.....
*snicker*

I'm glad your doggie didn't get the full load and seems to be healing. Maybe the snake who bit your friend's dog didn't know any better and unloaded its whole wad into it...
I am glad no one else got hurt. Shame on you for being so incautious. Might want to try animal control, or a pest control company next time. Will cost you then, but won't cost you anymore vet or medical or funeral expenses...
Old 10-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #2018
TheMercenary

Yea, all that and next time I would not take the dog to find the snake with me. And next time I will put on my snake boots, which were in the house, before I go hunting the beast. Animal Control out here is fairly useless unless it is in your house. You are the only animal control in this part of the country.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #2019
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Yea, all that and next time I would not take the dog to find the snake with me. And next time I will put on my snake boots, which were in the house, before I go hunting the beast. Animal Control out here is fairly useless unless it is in your house. You are the only animal control in this part of the country.
Oy!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #2020
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Vey!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #2021
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Someone has hacked into my hotmail account and emailed all my contact list telling them I've just bought a new laptop and they should buy one too. And I've never culled my email contact list in the way I do my mobile phone contacts, so there are plenty of people on there who I would prefer not to remind I am still around, or have them wonder why I am back in contact.

Grrrrr.

Secondly, but just as irritating - when the internet is running slowly (this morning for example) I play Mahjong Titans. But it frustrated me because it was so hard. So I lowered the level. Now it's like a tile matching game for 5 year olds and I feel like my computer is laughing at me.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #2022
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I just got pulled for driving expired registration (as of Aug. 31). The officer said he couldn't give me a warning because they were on some kind of state grant to increase enforcement of traffic fines, but he'd be happy to withdraw the citation if I do the renewal quickly and bring it to court. Bleah.
Went to court this morning. The judge wasn't even in the courtroom yet. There were two cops going through the summary traffic offenses before he came in. The cop who pulled me over looked at my (renewed) registration and told the clerk to withdraw the citation.

The irritating part:

Well, I got up a bit later than I should have. So that's my fault, but my time was a bit tight to get there. However, going down the road I literally had to stop at every single traffic light. (West Chester Pike through Broomall/Newtown Square for those keeping score at home.) I was often in a situation where I could almost but not quite make the yellow. I had to keep telling myself, "Getting pulled over for speeding or running a red light on the way to traffic court... NOT GOOD!!"

Once I got there, the parking lot was full. (Overflowing, actually, as there were a couple people parked in non-spaces.) I had to leave and park up the street a bit. Not too far in the grand scheme of things, but I was already late. I got in at 8:40 for a scheduled 8:30 hearing, so I was already worried it was going to piss off the judge.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #2023
TheMercenary

Well a friend of ours, whom lives about 3 neighborhoods away, got bit in the finger by a rattlesnake. Put her in the hospital big time. She had to get the anti-venom. They said she was wafting in and out of a steady state for the first 4 hours. It only got her finger but put a hurt on her big time. I guess I am lucky. More lucky than I thought. Folks in the area are all saying they have seen more snakes this year then in years past. We have had a LOT of rain over the past few months. I think they were all just moving to higher ground. We have 6 poison snakes on coastal georgia:
Southern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix)
Florida Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin (Agkistrodon pisvivorus conanti)
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus)
Canebrake Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus atricaudatus)
Eastern Coral Snake (Micrurus fulvius fulvius)
Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius barbouri)

http://timberrattlesnake89.tripod.com/venomouspage.html
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #2024
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mum. Sorry. It's all about close proximity, she is a good person and I do love her.
This is venting.

Mum's friend (Breda) has terminal cancer.
Yesterday she was taken into a hospice. Don't know if this is a worldwide thing, but here they are basically way-stations for people to die in comfort. They receive medical treatment of course, but the majority of people only leave a hospice to die at home. It's the end-game.

Mum's bereaved friend (Maureen) is over for Sunday dinner today. Yes, a good example of my Mum being a great person - she comes over most Sundays. For the last 30 mins, all Mum's done is run down B's two children, their reactions, what they haven't done, the state of B's house (no different from when she was well from what I remember) and even my sister for not taking her children to visit before B sank too far.

And yet she's saying this to a woman who - behind her back - she criticises for not getting on with her life, not picking herself up, being weak. And she also criticises M's son at every opportunity (not to her face of course) for not supporting his mother.

I know this is her way of dealing with things.
I know she buries her own feelings this way.
I know pretty much everyone who knows her thinks she's amazing because she can deal with anything and she always offers help, and she's so practical and she's not afraid, and she's so real and all that and everything.

And I do love her.

I just hate to hear the behind the scenes shredding of people who just don't deal with things the way she does. And of course the ensuing nastiness directed at Dad because it does affect her after all. Both of us have come in for renewed criticism this week for our hearing problems. Of course we can't help it. Of course she's only irritated because sh's upset. But it's not nice. I'd offer it up for souls in Purgatory if I was so inclined. I'm sure Dad does.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #2025
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Back to this, although not in an irritated state of mind. I just figured it was more honest to put the two posts together.

A little irritation just because Mum changes the story (apparently Breda should have gone striaght to hospital on Thursday, but she was begging not to - she has a horror of our local hospital because she used to work there.) Mum forgets she thought the daughter - N - was over-reacting and should listen to her Mum's wishes. Mum was therefore vindicated when Breda went to the hospice. Except she has to be transferred to a hospital when she deteriorated, which is where she is now. And it turns out because she went from hospice to hospital and it's not an infection, it's all cancer related, there are problems with her going back to the hospice. Mum says, "If she'd have gone into hospital on Thursday none of this would have happened!"

But the above is forgiveable. No-one really remembers what they said when things were going down, and hindsight is pure gold, even at today's prices.

Mum broke down tonight. She was crying and everything. Wish she did that more often. Sad that she did I mean, and I know she's under a lot of emotional pressure, but if she let it out more it would be easier to handle.

She says she has no-one to talk to. I can empathise with that - even though I can't completely believe it's true for her. But even if it's not true, when you feel like that the world is so much more overwhelming. I can't help her, but I'll do what I can. Will put requests for thoughts for Breda in the cancer thread.

Tags
mild cheddar