The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #16
Skyler
Kinda New Member

Nice thought about opening a high school for aspergers or autistic kids. If the school started teaching them about the behavioral activities and communication skills which they are struggling will help them to better understand the things and they can lead their life happily.
Skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you have them in India, Skyler? The schools, not the aspergers/autistic kids, I assume they're everywhere.

But come to think of it, that may not be a correct assumption. I wonder if the prevalence is higher in some countries?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It is. What's more, dark-skinned ethnicities are disproportionately more likely to be on the spectrum, and those living in Western countries are even more likely than those same ethnic groups living in their home countries.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm... western lifestyle plus ethnic susceptibility?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
Clodfobble

They think the ethnic susceptibility is about Vitamin D levels: darker skin means less absorption from the sun, thus less Vitamin D production in the body. Autism rates are also higher in colder/rainer climates as well. Vitamin D is critical to a functioning immune system.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I should think a western lifestyle would provide more opportunity to get all the nutritional needs. Oh wait, maybe not at McD's and Dunkin's.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Vitamin D would be an interesting angle. We have laws putting D in milk but if you can't drink milk...
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #23
Clodfobble

Well, according to the D gospel, the recommended daily amount (400 IU) is nowhere near what the average person really needs to maintain appropriate blood levels anyway. Up until 1990, all infants in East Germany routinely received 600,000 IU every three months at their pediatric checkups until they were 18 months old, after studies done within the country in the early 50s showed that nearly all infants were severely deficient in their blood levels. But when the wall came down, that practice and the research behind it got lost in the unification of the two medical systems.

Nowadays you can order a home blood test. Both kids had already been done as part of their medical workups (and were far below healthy levels, so now we supplement,) but my mother and I did ours out of curiosity. Both severely deficient, despite the fact that my mother had already been supplementing with twice the recommended allowance. I'm convinced it's one of a number of contributing factors for autism, anyway.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It is. What's more, dark-skinned ethnicities are disproportionately more likely to be on the spectrum, and those living in Western countries are even more likely than those same ethnic groups living in their home countries.
That is exactly opposite of my experience. I see a lot of autistism spectrum/Asperger's kids and adults, and they have all been Caucasian. And by "all," I mean every single one of them. Can't remember ever dealing with any Blacks, Asians, or Hispanics.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Clodfobble

Well, you're talking about minority populations, so the overall numbers are still going to be lower. There are a total of 8 cites here. But where you really see the disparity in my experience is in Indian and Middle Eastern Americans. Of the 10 autistic children in my son's class, 4 are Indian/Pakistani/MiddleEastern, and we live in a very white community.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
That is exactly opposite of my experience. I see a lot of autistism spectrum/Asperger's kids and adults, and they have all been Caucasian. And by "all," I mean every single one of them. Can't remember ever dealing with any Blacks, Asians, or Hispanics.

Me too. * I'm thinking*

Maybe one African American and American Indian but that is out of dozens of special ed classes, one residential training center and a state school.

When you see so many kids and adults with disabilities it's hard to pull the needle out of my haystack of memory.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #27
Clodfobble

Ugh... And on this note, just this evening Mr. Clod came home from work to tell me that a coworker had awkwardly approached him about what to do now that her 2-year-old daughter has been diagnosed with autism. She and her husband are Indian.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

GFCF Lady to the rescue.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #29
Clodfobble

Yeah, but not until she's ready. We've both agreed I can't talk to her yet, because I'm bitter and jaded--time to take this bull and grab it by the horns!--and she's still in "she just needs a little speech therapy and everything will be fine" land. Everyone at his office actually already knows about our kids and the site, so the fact that she chose to approach him means she'll be on track in another couple of months.

We actually figured out last night that she lives pretty close to us--her daughter and Minifobette will be classmates in PPCD.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Vitamin D would be an interesting angle. We have laws putting D in milk but if you can't drink milk...
The amount of Vitamin D put in milk is literally just enough to prevent you from getting Rickets.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote