The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I already told you to do what my boss does...which is hilarious...If it's a guy..talk about their penis size. If it's a foreign guy and you can't get throught their accent...ask if they beat their wife. Get personal. They are interrupting your life. Waste their time and talk about inappropriate subjects. Ask about Jesus. Do they believe in Jesus? Inform them about the benefits of accepting Jesus into their heart, and don't stop.

This shady internet pill company keeps calling my boss everyday, and she takes the time to multi-task, she works and keeps them on the line to fuck up their day too. Because no matter what she says...she gets the same company every other day. I heard one call recently that was funny.

Guy from india accent: So, you do not currently take any medication?
My boss: No, pencil dick, I do not. Is it true what they say about your small penis sizes in your country?
Guy from India: Well, you should be taking your medication...

Me: lol!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Why the EFF does a company in India want to know about someone's meds? I know my answer would be "it's none of your fucking business, asshole."
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Waste their time. They aren't going to quit calling. So have a little fun with it....
Bear in mind these people are just trying to do a job, with tight targets and heavily commission based wages. Waste their time and you reduce their orders and thus reduce their wage packet. Just stop 'em when they start and tell 'em you aren't interested. If they persist tell them to stop wasting their time on you and call someone who might give them an order.

I've done telesales and telecanvassing and it's a miserable shitty job for the most part. It is however a job that requires little in terms of formal training or qualifications...except in India where you pretty much have to be a university graduate. Even so, think about it. Think about having to go and do that every day as your job.

They're just people. Some of them are trying to communicate on those phone calls in a language they are only just proficient in. You don't have to put up with it, just tell them to go away. But why actually seek to waste the time of someone who's on commission? It's not like it's the same person each time just pestering you. They have a screen in front of em and numbers on the screen. They sit there for hours at a time ringing the numbers on the screen and talking to people who don't want to talk to them. Fucking depressing job.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
Shawnee123

I know finding a job can be tough (and I did some telemarketing years ago for Olan Mills and it WAS horrible and I only lasted about a week until they put me in the store trying to make people buy pics of their kids which is when I found out I will never be a good salesperson, but I digress) but what would be the incentive to do such a job? Are the commissions really good if you DO make a sale? Is it flexible hours, or good benefits? Otherwise, I can't see someone choosing it as a job. There must be something that attracts them to choose it over all the other crappy jobs out there.

Can a company go on the Do Not Call registry?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
Cicero

Did I mention that I used to work those floors, then manage, and hire, for a phone polling company?
Did I mention that I created, and implemented door-knocking programs for a different company?
On the phones:
Did I catch people hitting "call back tomorrow" instead of the correct button of "never call back". Yes....I was on the floor, trained other people, and monitored for a couple of companies.
I am the phone polling queen my dear....tell it to someone that hasn't ever been there.
I'll tell you that they do call back after you say not interested, they only punch never call back if you are irate and threaten to litigate. When you hit "not interested" it puts their number right back in the call group for their area and it is recycled.
But fuck me, I have no compassion and don't "get it". I know exactly what the protocol is for calling companies.

Point being: Jester, you have to say and do some pretty screwed up stuff not to be rehashed on their list. The definite way to be off the list is threaten to litigate, and ask to talk to their supervisor 9 out of 10, they are instructed to make sure your number is never called again. Or insult them until they cry. One thing I have seen them do (remote monitor) is punch "call back tomorrow" if someone pisses them off. If you are inappropriate the whole way through, and are abusive...they are instructed to tell you so, and punch never call back. Or you could pretend to have alzheimer's which really annoys the hell out of the "interviewer". That's another "never call back".

Did your supervisor tell you Dana, that "not interested" merely means, call at a different time with another "interviewer" calling out? Did you know that "random dialing" is not random? This means you hope to catch someone different at the location with a different person calling. This pisses people off. And I do not blame them. But it works often enough to keep doing it, until someone threatens to sue.

Did you know that the difference between the poller and the target is that the poller is trained to not take the call seriously and the target you are bothering is not?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #21
Cicero

Now I'm irritated.... See Jester...it works. I'm still paying for my crimes. I was the worst. You Jester, were probably a statistic sitting in my dialer. And the people we are supposed to have compassion for? Well- I've gotten the great honor of monitoring them without them being aware, I was also one of them but as nice as could be... The pollers and TM and cust service that pissed me off the most just hung up after someone answered hello, and just sat around waiting for another call to rotate and connect so they could just hang up again. Until they are caught by their manager and hung out to dry, unless they are currently screwing said manager.

Rant. Rant.. Rant.

Excuse me. Knee-jerk.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
you have to say and do some pretty screwed up stuff not to be rehashed on their list.
At one point I was getting a call every couple weeks or so from Allstate trying to sell me insurance. I usually politely told them I was already a satisfied Allstate customer--please take me off your list--and hung up. One night I was fed up with other things and the call was the final straw. I told the guy that I already had auto & home insurance from them, and had for over X years, and that I was tired of them calling me. And that the next time they called, I would CANCEL my Allstate policies and go to one of their competitors. I never heard from them again.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #23
Michaela
Lively Girl

Half the time you get a call within a few hours or the next day from the same company asking the same thing. That's irritating!
Michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Did I mention that I used to work those floors, then manage, and hire, for a phone polling company?
Nope
Quote:
Did I mention that I created, and implemented door-knocking programs for a different company?
Nope
Quote:
I am the phone polling queen my dear....tell it to someone that hasn't ever been there.
Well, now we know.

You have a really short fuse don't you Cicero?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #25
DanaC

Quote:
If it's a foreign guy and you can't get throught their accent...ask if they beat their wife. Get personal.
And you think that's an appropriate response? Personally I don't. You may be the phone polling Queen but that doesn't mean you know every pollster's circumstances or story. Nor do you know every company's culture or problems. I worked in telesales and telecanvassing for years and most of the people I worked with were underpaid and overworked and usually treated like groundfeeders within the company as a whole.

It is never acceptable imo to be rude to people. It is perfectly acceptable to be firm. Just my perspective.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #26
jester
why so serious

I typically am not rude to them on the phone - regardless who it is. Unless they start first. I do remember one time, I guess I had the guy very frustrasted, that he ended the conversation with.."Well, thank you very much Miss Secretary Lady". What a snot.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
Shawnee123

And there is NO repercussion. My ex is very firm about telling people he is not interested, and is not rude unless provoked. One f***er, after he told him he wasn't interested, said to him in a heavy accent "I bet you have small dick" or something like that. You can't call them back, you can't report them, you just have to sit there and feel violated that they basically walked into YOUR home and said that to you.

Huh uh, I say.

I'm still wondering about motivation for such a job (see post # 19). Though I realize it may be the only choice for some, is it the only choice for the thousands upon thousands there must be? There must be SOMETHING attractive about it.

How many telemarketers does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one, but they have to do it while you're eating dinner.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
DanaC

lol
Old 11-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A quick sorry to Cicero for a snippy post yesterday, I'm not feeling the best at the moment and I seem to be bringing it to the board.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #30
jester
why so serious

One of my bosses. Well technically he is not, he’s a construction manager, but he is a brother to the President of the company. Anyhoo, yesterday he walks into my office and asks if I turned in a certificate of insurance for a job that we were working on. “Yes”. “Oh well”, he says, “I haven’t even signed the contract yet, I guess I need to do that”. Ya think? He had just told me we were also finished with the job and that I can go ahead and bill it. Idiot. This same individual, made a comment about our dumpster being picked up by the dump truck every week. The dump truck would pull in and pickup the dumpster, unload it and set it back down. Every week this was done. During that ongoing process, large, deep tracks were being formed. So his reply to this was, “I guess that dumpster is pretty heavy”. What! Are you freakin’ serious? It’s the truck you moron. There’s what, atleast 6 to 8 large wheels on these stupid things. The dumpster is a small sq. one. Dork! And he gets paid more than me! Hello McFly! This crap goes on every week. I’m gonna need a drool cup attached to my chin, before too long.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote