The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
hello1122

Terrorist Use Retarded Women With Down Syndrome In Bombimg Attack At Pet Store

Militants strapped a pair of mentally retarded women with explosives and blew them up by remote control in two pet bazaars on Friday, killing at least 91 people in the deadliest day since Washington began pouring extra troops into the capital last spring.

Brigadier General Qassim al-Moussawi, Iraq's chief military spokesman in Baghdad, said the women had Down syndrome and may not have known they were on a suicide mission.

The tactic would support US claims that al-Qaeda in Iraq may be increasingly desperate and running short of able-bodied men willing or available for such missions.

As of early yesterday, Iraqi officials were unable to break down the higher death toll in the two bombings. The police and interior ministry officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

US Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker said the bombings showed that a resilient al-Qaeda has "found a different, deadly way" to try to destabilize Iraq.

"There is nothing they won't do if they think it will work in creating carnage and the political fallout that comes from that," he said in an interview at the US State Department.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the bombing in Iraq proved al-Qaeda was "the most brutal and bankrupt of movements" and would strengthen Iraqi resolve to reject terrorism.

Earlier, officials had said the first bomber was detonated about 10:20am in the central al-Ghazl market.

Four police and hospital officials said at least 46 people were killed and more than 100 people were wounded.

Local police said the woman wearing the bomb sold cream in the mornings at the market and was known to locals as "the crazy lady."

The weekly pet bazaar had been bombed several times during the war; but with violence declining in the capital, the market had regained popularity as a shopping district and place to stroll on Fridays, the Muslim day of prayer.

But this Friday offered a scene of carnage straight out of the worst days of the conflict. Firefighters scooped up debris scattered among pools of blood, clothing and pigeon carcasses.

The attacks were the latest in a series of violent incidents that frayed a gossamer of Iraqi confidence in the permanence of recent security gains.

The US military in Iraq issued a statement that shared "the outrage of the Iraqi people, and we condemn the brutal enemy responsible for these attacks, which bear the hallmarks of being carried out by al-Qaeda in Iraq."

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani confirmed the death toll was about 70 and said the attacks were the work of committed by terrorists motivated by revenge and "to show that they are still able to stop the march of history and of our people toward reconciliation."

But Navy Commander Scott Rye, a US military spokesman, gave far lower casualty figures -- seven killed and 23 wounded in the first bombing, and 20 killed and 30 wounded in the second.

He confirmed, however, both attacks were carried out by women wearing explosives vests and said the attacks appeared coordinated and likely the work of al-Qaeda in Iraq.

While involving women in such deadly activity violates cultural taboos in Iraq, the US military has warned that al-Qaeda is recruiting women and young people as suicide attackers because militants are increasingly desperate to thwart security measures. Syria also has reportedly tightened its border with Iraq, a main transit point for incoming foreign bombers.

Women in Iraq often wear abayas, the black Islamic robe, and avoid thorough searches at checkpoints because men are not allowed to touch them and there are too few female police.

While astonishingly brutal, the use of the mentally disabled in suicide bombings is not unprecedented in Iraq. In January 2005, Iraq's interior minister said that insurgents used a disabled child in a suicide attacker on election day. Police at the scene of the bombing said the child appeared to have Down syndrome.

Many teenage boys were among the casualties in the al-Ghazl bombing on Friday, officials said.

Link:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../03/2003400082

Last edited by hello1122; 02-03-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Got a link for that article?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
hello1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Got a link for that article?
First you asked me to stop posting links to other websites...

Now you want one

Here it is

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../03/2003400082
Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
classicman

when you are quoting something as news or an article - yeah - put a link there.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

You're an academic, aren't you, Classic? Always with the footnotes, always the bibliographies...

The BBC is carrying the story too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7223769.stm

Wow, that is a new low. "Here, put on this special vest and go shopping at the pet market... " I don't have an obscenity strong enough to express my contempt for that.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Giant Salamander
Deity of Dogs

I don't know what to say...I can't even begin to put myself into the sort of mindset that would allow me to do something so incredibly despicable.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

May I suggest that we retaliate by strapping explosives to child molesters and sending them into Al Qaeda strongholds?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
May I suggest that we retaliate by strapping explosives to child molesters and sending them into Al Qaeda strongholds?
I love it! Good one Elspode.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
classicman

thats really good, Els. :::Thinkin of logistics:::
Where's Reg Joe when you need him?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

The enemy are finding people least likely to get checked. Girls and women tend to top the list.

Only because of misogyny is the reason that women aren't used more frequently.

Besides how do we know that the women are 'retarded'? Couldn't the 'Down syndrome' shape of their heads come because of the bombing itself?
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Molestors will be shot on sight. Think like a terrorist people.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
JoannBlue

This is very bad if its true
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
lookout123
changed his status to single

Why is this any worse than the other bombers? Sure, there is visible evidence that the bombers aren't wired exactly right, but really, can you make a case that anyone willing to strap a bomb on themselves doesn't have some malfunction?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

While suicide bombings are horrible, the original bombers are doing it for something they believe is right. They chose to put that bomb on. I am assuming that these two disabled women did not choose to do this by themselves. My inner mommy brain makes this feel worse to me because if that is the case, those women were completely taken advantage of like small innocent children. Therein lies the difference, in my mind anyway.

Now, is it worse to kill those disabled women or the innocent others in the plaza at the time? IF you believe a life is a life, then there is no difference. This is no more horrible than any of the other bombings.
Which is where I ultimately have to file this despite my initial gut reaction.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I sure don't need to add anything.

We're not bombing the opposition with retarded citizens.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote