The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-04-2003, 05:25 PM   #16
be-bop
Operations Operative

Tax money being used to prop up leftist views.

It fair makes me chuckle when I read threads about Americans arguing left from right.
Now you must excuse me, not being totally familiar with American politics , the bottom line is republicans are right and democrats are left (Hope I've got that right).From where I sit you could not get a cigarette paper between most politicians nowadays.They are all corrupt The right merges with the left they swap ideologies to suit whatever they think will get them power or keep power and we the proles are too busy fighting amongst ourselves to notice.Why do most people care its not like we can change anything.Look at the choice we have had Tony Blair over here George W in your neck o' the woods.God help us all.
Billy Connolly once said "That the very ambition to enter politics and be a politician should be enough to prevent you being allowed to do the job"(not word for word but near enough).
I wonder what would happen if they had an election and no one turned up and voted,now that would be a great day for democracy.

Last edited by be-bop; 11-04-2003 at 05:29 PM.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I woder what would happen if they had an election and no one turned up and voted,now that would be a great day for democracy.
No Bop, that's exactly what they want. The voters have always been an annoyance to the politicians.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:40 PM   #18
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
So you admit it *is* bullshit spending?
Nah...not hardly.

Steve, I agree. They (along with PBS) seem to be pushing the viewer support angle much more these days. And they give cooler gifts for smaller donations.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 07:53 PM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

Yes NPR leans to left. This isn't universal though. Remember how helpful they were when low power radio needed some support?

NPR's true spin is advancement of state power. If you listen with your "is this story recommending more government power at the expense of the individual?" detector on, you'll find that most stories on NPR are an endorsement of greater governmental power. You'll never get a story about abolishing the FCC only stories about who gets to control the airwaves using the FCC. You won't get stories about getting the executive branch back in balance with the other two, only stories about what kind of snake oil has to be sold to get the right kind of president back in charge. You won't get questions about the Presidents right to expend soldiers lives in overseas adventures unrelated to American defense but only about the goals of such adventures.

They give good interesting reporting on a wide array of subjects but they program you to think in terms of state intervention. They are trapped in world where the important things happen in Washington.