The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 AM   #10591
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh that's just made my day! Fucking awesome Infi. You totally deserve this break
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #10592
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

A man wakes up one morning with the mother of all hangovers. He opens his eyes, and on the nightstand he sees a glass of water, an aspirin, a rose and a note saying, Honey, breakfast is ready, I love you. Hugs and kisses, your wife.

Not remembering a thing about the night before, he walks to the kitchen and sees his son at the breakfast table and asks him about what had happened last night. The son says, "Well, you came home and were completely hammered, tripped on the coffee table and smashed it to pieces, then you barfed in the hallway, peed all over the carpet, got into a scuffle with mom and then you went to bed. Then, when she started to pull off your pants, you screamed, "Get away from me, bitch, I'm married!"

Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
My first day was fantastic! I really like the way things work there. I really like the woman who runs the office (I'm basically her helper and she's been doing it alone for a while. We get along great!) I got to talk to a handful of clients (unusually slow day) and I already know that my assertion that my experience in CCs has taught me how to communicate with just about anyone was absolutely correct.

And, because I'm weird, I love paperwork and I got to work a file from the beginning (including speaking with the person and making the file) and all the steps that need to happen to make sure everyone is where they need to be and informed...I'll remember this file when it goes to 'closed.' It's like putting together a puzzle and making sure it all fits together.

I'm incredibly happy. And I can't imagine working with a nicer group of people. Nobody is trying to put one over on anyone. No one is climbing any kind of invisible ladder.

I can't stop occasionally going 'YEAH!' just out of the blue by myself.
w00t!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #10593
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

A man wakes up one morning with the mother of all hangovers. He opens his eyes, and on the nightstand he sees a glass of water, an aspirin, a rose and a note saying, Honey, breakfast is ready, I love you. Hugs and kisses, your wife.

Not remembering a thing about the night before, he walks to the kitchen and sees his son at the breakfast table and asks him about what had happened last night. The son says, "Well, you came home and were completely hammered, tripped on the coffee table and smashed it to pieces, then you barfed in the hallway, peed all over the carpet, got into a scuffle with mom and then you went to bed. Then, when she started to pull off your pants, you screamed, "Get away from me, bitch, I'm married!"

Not sure if this is the guy, but they're drinking the same kool-aid!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #10594
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just a quick 'thanks again' to all the well-wishers!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #10595
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Been away all week and missed your news, but so glad to hear of it, Infi! And fantastic that your start has gone well and you're enjoying the job ... way to go!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #10596
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thank you!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #10597
orthodoc

Not to drift the thread, but ... I am SO happy today after reclaiming my loom, spinning wheel, cutting table, and almost all ancillary equipment, and getting them set up in a spare room in an organized way. The room has north light, so is great for any type of art, and it was originally designed with a fiber studio in mind. There's storage and some bookshelves for my fiber books. I have to get rid of a cat-scratched loveseat to get my sewing machine and serger back in place, but they can wait a week or two.

The important thing is, I have dug out and organized all my fiber arts stuff, reassembled it, oiled it, repaired it etc., and am ready to get all creative again. And I just put in an order for materials to get me going on a couple of projects. I started out weaving all sorts of things, just to try different techniques and materials, and I'm still going to explore that - going to try a new technique in one project. But I found I do love making larger pieces, throws and blankets, with interesting weave patterns and fibers. I can get wool that's produced here in the US, and I can spin silk/wool combination yarn for weft that will let me try some new things ... so I'm stoked.

Being the introvert that I am, spending time banging out a new pattern on the loom is centering and satisfying. I suspect it will keep me sane in between weeks of stupidity at work.

It was also calming and happy-making to find, organize, and photograph a few of the things I sewed for the kids over the years - costumes and the odd sundress and christening dress. I wish I'd photographed everything I made back then - I sent many homemade dresses/hats/playsuits off to my sister for nieces to wear without recording them. However, I have a few things left. The medieval gown that laces up the back, with lined angel sleeves etc., would almost fit me. Not that I'm into medieval stuff, but it's a pretty dress.

All of which is to say that it's probably a wise and helpful thing to occasionally take stock of things you've done/accomplished, and record them in some way. It's good for perspective.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #10598
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you think you'll have all of our costumes ready for our maypole dance and virgin sacrifice?

Glad to hear you're carpe-ing your deim. Go get 'em, tiger.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #10599
orthodoc

For Mayday? No problem.

Tigers do best alone ... I roared at husband who returned from a day playing and enjoying himself, only to criticize me ... he is now off licking his wounds. You're right, he does need a sharp reminder at times that he's crossed a boundary.

I'm watching the GOT trailer, reading my IME material, sipping a single malt, and giving no further fucks tonight.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #10600
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

This is excellent news, Ortho! Creating stuff is so important for the soul and one's sanity. X

Sent by thought transference
Old 02-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #10601
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
For Mayday? No problem.
... husband who returned from a day playing and enjoying himself ... he is now off licking his wounds. You're right, he does need a sharp reminder at times that he's crossed a boundary.
Thanks for that mental image. I lol'd.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #10602
Nirvana
Back in 10

Doin' the Ren and Stimpy Happy Happy Joy Joy song, for you Infi
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #10603
glatt

My wife just did our taxes (and I'll go back over it myself when I get a chance) and were' getting $1 back from the feds.

For years we have either owed hundreds or have gotten hundreds back, and I made an effort last year to calculate and change my withholdings to get it closer to being on target. I'm pretty pleased with myself that it's within a buck of being accurate.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #10604
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nice! It would be funny (well, not for you, but still) if that were a red flag in someone's audit algorithm, that being so balls-on expected with the numbers is like standing a little too nonchalantly near the crime scene.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #10605
glatt

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote