The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 01-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
gaidin
Complex Simpleton

Colts and Patriots lose

the two teams that a whole lotta people thought would win win the superbowl both lost. so now who are ya'll picks? mine....steelers....i don't really like em that much but jerrome bettis is a good guy and he retiring after this year
gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

If the Steelers lost after that officiating disaster, you guys would have had to listen to me whine all the way to baseball season. It seemed like there were a lot of bad calls going to home teams this weekend.

I felt bad for Dungy, he just looked so played out. It didn't look good when Peyton sent the punt team off the field, I hope it doesn't turn into a problem.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm much the home team kind of guy, and this year, I'm backing a winner! Go Seahawks!! Carolina deserves both respect and a vacation. I hope we can deliver both next Sunday.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
gaidin
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
If the Steelers lost after that officiating disaster, you guys would have had to listen to me whine all the way to baseball season. It seemed like there were a lot of bad calls going to home teams this weekend.

I felt bad for Dungy, he just looked so played out. It didn't look good when Peyton sent the punt team off the field, I hope it doesn't turn into a problem.

i don't think it will...he's done that kind of thing before.
gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

I never saw a "no call" by an officiating crew. And the bs the colts secondary got away with was shameful.

Who would have thought that a hall of fame bound RB would fumble near the goal line, have it run back and have the most accurate kicker in NFL history miss wide by a country mile?

The Steelers figured out the Colts in their regular season game and subsequent study. Before this year, they only played 2 dome games in 7 years. This was their third dome game of this year. (I was one of 20,000 Steelers fans at the Minnesota game)

The Broncos offense is not going very far this weekend, Steelers win.

Panthers win the JV game.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Looks like yet another year when I'll be watching the "Big Game" for the commercials.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

The league acknowledged Monday that referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
mrnoodle
bent

Broncos/Panthers in the big game. Although a Broncos/Seahawks matchup would be weird for us in Colorado -- that was usually the AFC preseason starter...

The Steelers have nothing the Pats didn't also have, I'm not worried. Cowher is a hothead, and his team will be twitterpated by our noise and altitude and make key errors.

but Plummer throws like a girl...so who knows...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

[talking]Imagine my suprise when I found out Denver still had a football team. I'd thought they left town when Elway gave it up.[/smack]
At least we agree on Plummer and the 2nd Amendment.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #10
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I'm going Denver. Indy was the big worry as they can rack up a lot of points on a team that doesn't know how to stop them. I actually thought Indy would win that game but the Steelers effectively followed what the Patriots and Chargers were able to do in order to disrupt Manning and company. Denver is a different beast though. They got a punishing ground game with three backs that can wear the other teams D# or break a run PLUS Plummer is great at throwing on the run. So what do you do to stop them?

Seattle is a bit of an unknown to me. Beating the Redskins wasn't any great task and honestly that game wasn't a compelling victory. Who have they beaten all year that's been good? Atlanta? The Giants? Tennessee? All were very narrow victories. Sure they had wins against Philly and Indy but Philly was not itself and Indy rested the starters. So really, Seattle hasn't shown they can beat a good team. Could they? Maybe. Will they? Possibly. The Panthers took some licks against Chicago which will make this game harder. Seattle by a hair.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Although I am on the right hand end of the state, I am going to have to root for Pittsburgh at this point.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

It'll take Denver 8 to stop the run, then TE Health Miller catches passes over the middle instead. Did that to the Colts. SS Lynch out of the box is a non factor. Denver has the best CB in the NFL and some rookies. Steelers have three quality WRs. Denver's Pass Defense is 4th worst in the NFL.

Denver's OL is light facing 3 beefy nose tackles that will push them around to let the 4 quick LBs make the plays. On passing plays, Plummer will be confused and on the run.

Both Ds will pressure the QB with diguised blitzes, but Big Ben is better at sensing it, moving around, and making plays.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
la la la la...

The Broncos offense is not going very far this weekend, Steelers win.

Panthers win the JV game.
Good call on Steelers win.

"JV" heheh.. that really was funny. But funny or not, you were wrong. Emphatically wrong.

See you in Detroit!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

Cowher > Shanahan

Go Steelers (sigh)
Old 01-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Jake just tried to do too much. The same passion that sometimes makes him brilliant got him in trouble Sunday. I'm not sure if it was personel or scheme but he had no time to throw.

Now we have the annoying extra week off so one of the teams will over prepare, come out tight, and get creamed. Hopefully that's the Seahawks.