The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

I've listened to a few minutes of the Limbaugh show this week and last week, and he (or his guest host) is still ranting about Clinton. I think Limbaugh is in trouble. With a Republican president, a Republican congress, and a pretty conservative Supreme Court, he'll have to find something else to bash. I bet it doesn't work and I bet his ratings are cut in half.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 10:37 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagnabit
I've listened to a few minutes of the Limbaugh show this week and last week, and he (or his guest host) is still ranting about Clinton. I think Limbaugh is in trouble. With a Republican president, a Republican congress, and a pretty conservative Supreme Court, he'll have to find something else to bash. I bet it doesn't work and I bet his ratings are cut in half.
Interesting that you brought that up.

I remember when Pop Bush was the prez...and I remember people talking about this guy named Rush Limbaugh...and that he was actually funny. (This was when I was a freshman in high school, so that's about 11 years now.) And he was kinda funny...but I remember that he wasn't HUGELY popular at the time. (He was on a small talk radio station in St. Louis until 1993 or 1994.)

But then Clinton came into office...and then Rush started getting put on bigger AM stations...and even had his own talk show. But with another Bush back in office...what can Rush bitch about now? The Dems in Congress? (probably) Play point man for Dubya? (also probably)

Interesting sidenote: Some of you might already know this, but Rush is from Cape Girardeau, MO (a small city about 100 miles south of St. Louis). In fact, when you see signs for Cape Girardeau on the way there, they actually proclaim "HOME OF RUSH LIMBAUGH." It's rather sickening. His grandfather was a well-liked and well-respected lawyer, loved by many in Cape. As far as the current Rush, it seemed to be more like contempt. I went to school in Cape at Southeast Missouri State University for 3 semesters. Rush flunked out of there after one semester in the 50s or 60s I believe. At the time he went there, it was a bit of a party school. Even now, the school isn't that tough...you could probably do nothing and get a solid 2.5. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell he flunked out...what an idiot! It also brought me pleasure to see the Limbaugh House torn down on SEMO's campus in 1995.

Sorry for rambling there. :-)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 11:29 PM   #3
VolareMan
Kinda New Member

Rush will always find some reason to hammer the "Liberals" and talk about them endlessly. If you haven't yet, you should read Al Franken's "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot." :-)

VolareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 09:52 AM   #4
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Limbaugh

I have to disagree with all of you. I listen to his show regularly whenever I can and he will have no shortage of material just because the Republicans have won the White House.

There will always be hot topics (not just Democrats) for him to discuss. He talks about whatever is in the daily headlines. I guarantee you he will be talking about the Super Bowl come the twenty-ninth of January. It's a leading topic. Bush will always be there because he will always be in some headline or other. No matter what a sitting President does, it will make someone's front page. Rush may disagree with the liberal slant that tends to be put on anything a conservative does, but so do I. I have a longer memory than most people give me credit for. And the hypocrisy that I see from certain quarters makes me mad. And I'm not shy about saying so. And neither Rush nor I will hesitate to castigate any conservative politician when he (or she) pulls a .

As for Rush's academic record, what does that matter a whit? I didn't do well in school at all but I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, well spoken and insightful. You may not agree. Many people don't and just as many do think of me that way. It's a free country still.
You're free to agree or disagree with me and my opinions and Rush's too. I don't always agree with him, but many times I do. It's because I'm a conservative and Rush and I tend to think along the same lines. He is better-informed than I am due to the fact that he spends his day researching and reading while I only get an hour or two at best. And he gets help from others who do research for him (the vaunted EIB staff) while I do not. That means I have a habit of listening to him and comparing what he says to what I hear and read in the news and occaisionally witness.

No matter what else may be said of Rush, he's entertaining and fun to listen to. His parodies are right on the money since they contain a kernel of truth. I will continue to enjoy his show whenever I can.

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 12:04 PM   #5
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

Quote:
I don't always agree with him, but many times I do.
Well, that puts you above about 80% of is audience, man. Whenever I have a discussion with Rush listeners and suggest that the guy was wrong about something/anything, it's like I jumped into a pit of angry, spitting cats.

I mean, kudos for having the nads to think for yourself. I know it's the same with some people, that agreeing with Rush is like jumping into that same pit. I agree with him about 40% of the time but the shrillness of the 60% is so deafening that I can't stand to listen to the show.

As far as Rush being better-informed, that may be the case, but when I listen I hear someone better-informed who only reads half of every source. Better-informed, who only pays attention to the stats that agree with him. Better-informed who only says "I told you so" to the half he was right about, ignoring the half he was dead wrong about.

Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 08:28 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Limbaugh

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
As for Rush's academic record, what does that matter a whit?
[/b]
As we saw in this election, it CAN matter. When stories came out about Bush's days at Yale, plenty of people snickered. If anything, it only leaves people open to further scrutiny.

Intelligence doesn't always make the man...look at Al Gore...he's as stimulating as decaf coffee...and I supported the guy. But I don't recall hearing many people say anything bad regarding Clinton's intelligence. Sure, he did some stupid things...obviously. But the guy was smart as a whip.

I'm not saying Rush is a complete idiot. As much of a raving loony as he can be, he backs himself up with information...regardless of its spin. So I will give Rush credit for coming across as being intelligent.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 11:10 PM   #7
failsafe
Lead Subordinate

Re: Re: Limbaugh

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
As for Rush's academic record, what does that matter a whit?
As we saw in this election, it CAN matter. When stories came out about Bush's days at Yale, plenty of people snickered. If anything, it only leaves people open to further scrutiny.

Intelligence doesn't always make the man...look at Al Gore...he's as stimulating as decaf coffee...and I supported the guy. [/b]
Somehow, Gore's academic record didn't receive as much attention as Bush's. But Gore didn't exactly "set the world on fire" academically. I've heard it said that he flunked out of divinity school (and never finished Law ??) and was largely a "C" student at Harvard. He was particularly bad at sciences!!

I'll try to find the article that discussed this (but don't hold your breath as it was prob 2 months old).