The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Mackinac Island

Today we drove west from Pennsylvania through Ohio and then north through the Michigan peninsula until we crossed the bridge at the Mackinac Straits and took the ferry from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island.

We're staying at the Grand Hotel in a room with a spectacular view that includes the bridge over the strait and a good deal of the origin of Lake Huron. I haven't ever been to this particular spot; I've traveled west from Sudbury, Ontario, to Sault Ste Marie ('The Soo', as it's called) to visit relatives. It feels slightly strange to be here, so close to Sudbury and the Sault, but on the US side. Mackinac Island is a relatively small island west of Manitoulin Island in Ontario.

The terrain and flora in northern Michigan are reminiscent of northern Ontario but not exactly equivalent. Northern Michigan has northern deciduous forest that includes birches, along with plenty of coniferous cover. It doesn't have any granite, though. I'm used to seeing the Canadian Shield erupting through the thin topsoil of northern Ontario, so it's slightly jarring to me to see the trees without the rocks. The lakes are also missing, in that northern Ontario has lakes every five yards. Michigan seems to save it all for the Great Lakes, the inland seas of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Fair enough; no one could be disappointed by those.

I took photos as we were on the ferry to Mackinac Island and made our way to the hotel, and I'll post them tomorrow once I get them in order. The island has no motorized vehicles, so all transportation is via horse (there are 500 on the island), bicycle, or on foot. We walked from the ferry up the hill to our hotel, and it was a great experience to see, hear, and smell nothing but living beings making their way to where they needed to be.

Part of our time here will be spent in a medical conference, but I'll post more info and photos as I can. It's a strikingly beautiful place; I'll try to convey at least a little of that.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

One of my "growing up" experiences was a trip through that territory back in the 50's.
I wanted to see northern Ontario and so drove a solo summer trip through Sault St Marie towards Kapuskasing.
I got only as far as Timmins before learning that the distance scale
on my road map was totally different than the scale in Michigan.

In Timmins...
- I learned that Canadian bar customers were very friendly toward Yanks
- I learned that Canadian brews had a higher (double) alcohol content that in the US.
- I learned that there were no motel/hotel rooms available.
- I learned that I could bed down for the night at the local Mental Health Hospital.
- And I learned that the night staff locks such rooms for the night from the hallway.

It was very scary to be locked up with no one back home knowing
where I was, and not being sure they would let me out in the morning.

They did, but as the staff shared their breakfasts with me, they joked
about not letting me leave without first having a "thorough psychiatric exam".
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

two great posts...

I eagerly await your pictures (with captivating captions, please) o-doc.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Arrived back in PA tonight slightly wilted after an 11-hour trip. The drive itself is only about 9 hours, but we stopped at a Cabela's before leaving Michigan and got lost in its delights. Went in to pick up some ammo for the .22Mag and came out with scads of other things (but no ammo - none to be had, strangely). Great stuff for fall! I suppose it won't be exactly appropriate in DC but come November, I'll be able to get back in the woods.

I'm too tired to organize photos tonight but I have to say that Mackinac Island is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It has the cool, clear, fresh air of the northern summer, a peaceful, slow pace that comes from having no motorized vehicles, a spectacular view of the Straits of Mackinac, and every house on it is postcard-perfect. There are plenty of privately-owned residences in addition to the numerous B&Bs and small hotels, and every building is neatly kept with fabulous flower gardens. It was unbelievable - hollyhocks everywhere (I haven't seen hollyhocks since I was about 7), enormous perennial borders, huge baskets of annuals, hydrangeas, herbs ... everything thriving and looking like an ad for Miracle Gro.

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow afternoon. They won't do it justice, but I'll try to give a sense of the place.