The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-29-2003, 03:54 PM   #31
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Pathmark locations

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp

I haven't seen a Pathmark in several years. The last one I knew of (Wilmington, just over the Delaware border) got knocked down to make room for a Barnes & Noble/Best Buy complex. (They also took out the only "artsy" movie theater that didn't have the word 'Ritz' in its name, the bastards -- swapping it for Best Buy, the Black Hole of Customer Service was not a fair trade.)
There is one i NE Phila as well as one in Langhorne (I have a friend who works there).

Brian
Old 05-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I haven't seen a Pathmark in several years.
Broomall, Brookhaven and Ridley Twp that I know of.

We'll have to wait for the word from Radar as to which way the paper goes.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:56 PM   #33
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pathmarks seem to be mostly in the city and in Jersey. I live by two--Knights Rd. in Bensalem, and Frankford Ave. in Holmesburg.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:05 AM   #34
windhund
lost in space

Harris Teeter is our choice here in NC. I like the Whole Foods market too, but I can't afford to shop for everything there - way too pricey. But it's good to know it's there if you want something unusual or special.

So y'all can use the self-checkout for any amount of groceries where you are? Our H-T stores limit it to something like 12-16 items. Any more than that, and you'll be seeing the cashier.

I like the free stuff they give away too - buy groceries every week for (usually) 12 out of 14 weeks, collect the weekly coupon, and cash in the coupons to get free stuff at the end. The latest stuff they gave away was a stainless steel grill and some bbq utensils. I saw a smaller version of the same grill in Brookstone for $75! Sometimes they give away store gift cards too.

Our other local stores include Lowe's (yep, we've got a grocery store version by that name) and Food Lion.

Food Lion sucks. The stores are almost all too small, lousy selection, and some of them are dirty. No way am I buying food from a dirty store.

Kroger is nice too (and a blast from the past - I grew up in Cleveland, they're everydamnwhere up there) but too far away for me to shop at on a regular basis. I've also heard there's Winn Dixie in this general area, but I've not seen one.

I don't mind grocery shopping, but I try to take as little time as possible. I go in with a prepared list, get only what's on that list, and get the hell out. I also try to go when the hub will be at home, so he can help put everything away. That's the part I hate, having to unpack everything and stow it.

And commissaries? Yeah, they're cheaper, but when I was a military wife I stayed far, far away. Commissaries in a military town are hell on earth, especially on weekends. So many people would be in there, there'd be no carts left anywhere and the checkouts would be stacked up halfway back into the aisles. The Exchange and the package store were wonderful, but I did my food shopping elsewhere.
windhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See what happens when you hang the roll the wrong way.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:08 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #36
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

What? You don't have to worry about running out? By the by, that's the right way.
     For any who may doubt, I refer you to the Simpsons episode where the child welfare people check out the house. Homer and Marge were sited for having the roll in the improper 'overhand' position. Surely you don't question the Simpson's?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If I ever come over to your house, you'll find I'm the guy who inconsiderately uses the spare roll on top of your shitter instead of the sadly underhanging roll next to it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #38
headsplice
Relaxed

The Miracle of the Internet

This is my grocer of choice. The prices are somewhat steep compared to the local warehouses (Cub and Rainbow are the locals with large foreheads and grim looks), but the food is excellent. The pre-packaged stuff is suprisingly easy and tasty most of the time, the produce is top notch (none of that damnable picking out of fruit) and so is the meat (their 85% lean is typically leaner than the warehouses' 98%). Plus, the customer service is tremendous (when their servers went down [for three days!], they started taking orders over the phone, and didn't have that service before that point or after, for a long while). Throw in that it's a local business, and I've got it made. You may begin being jealous.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #39
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

UT, if you ever come half way across the country to use my shitter, I'll let you use the spare roll.

By the by, all this reminds me of an old joke:
How does a man put the toilet paper on the roll?
Nobody knows, it hasn't happened yet!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #40
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
For any who may doubt, I refer you to the Simpsons episode where the child welfare people check out the house. Homer and Marge were sited for having the roll in the improper 'overhand' position. Surely you don't question the Simpson's?
No, I don't question the Simpsons. The Simpsons place their TP on correctly. It's those do-gooder child welfare people who are wrong.

Was that the episode where Homer wanted to keep Maggie from playing with the electrical sockets by drawing bunny-rabbit faces on the outlets?

Marge: "But Homer, Maggie isn't afraid of bunny rabbits!"

Homer: "She <I>will</I> be."
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:58 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The Simpsons place their TP on correctly.
Now I heard a rumour, it's just a rumour mind you, that O J Simpson hangs his tp under. Same for Hitler and Manson and Nixon and Osama and.....
Old 06-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #42
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Um ... didn't this start out as a grocery shopping thread? I'm confused now.

Anyway, what I was gonna say is that I HATE shopping. I'm in Vegas, and the cheapest place to buy the type of groceries I get is the Super-Duper-open-24-hours-has- everything Wal Mart. It's hell to go during the day, because of all the people and the 115 degree (F) heat. It's hell to go at 2am because of all the pallets and lack of on-the-shelf stock and the 100 degree (F) heat.

Everywhere else is way more expensive, or doesn't have the stuff I buy.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:12 AM   #43
iDadalex
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
I went camping with my dad and my uncle near Mt. St. Helens last year, and my uncle tossed me a pack of baby wipes. They worked great! I felt pretty darn clean.
Babywipes were a definite item in backpacks when we went to the field(camping w/ guns) in the military, so useful to wipe arse, clean face and body, and clean equipment. Gotta love baby wipes
Old 06-17-2003, 08:17 AM   #44
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally posted by iDadalex

Babywipes were a definite item in backpacks when we went to the field(camping w/ guns) in the military, so useful to wipe arse, clean face and body, and clean equipment. Gotta love baby wipes
I hope it wasn't in that order...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the Babywipes are the ones with alcohol, you can start a fire with them too.