The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From the NY Times of 23 Jul 2011:
Quote:
Norway Charges Suspect in Killings

The Norwegian police on Saturday charged a man they identified as a right-wing fundamentalist Christian in connection with a bombing in central Oslo and a shooting attack on a nearby island that killed at least 92 people.
Religious fundamentalist. Extremist. Timothy McVeigh. bin Laden. Anyone who is told how to think rather than ask damning questions and demand facts with numbers. Same people my father so loved to manipulate with advertising because they are that dumb. An example of why true patriots are better educated. And why propaganda so easily creates extremists from the ranks of those who automatically believe what they are first told to believe.

So many Americans loved to massacre 4,500 American soldiers in Iraq. Extremists are that easily created.

Anyone who first suspected extremist an extremist in Oslo was fully justified in doing so. Statistics alone say that was a good bet. Because extremism, hate, routine lies, and a political agenda even hyped by Limbaugh, Beck, David Duke or Palin create such people.
Quote:
Anders Behring Breivik, 32, as a gun-loving, highly religious Norwegian obsessed with what he saw as the threat of multiculturalism and Muslim immigration to the cultural and patriotic values of his country.
“We are not sure whether he was alone or had help,” a police official, Roger Andresen, said at a televised news conference. “What we know is that he is right-wing and a Christian fundamentalist.”
Religion is a relationship only between you and your god. The second your religious beliefs are imposed on anyone else means you are an extremist.

This conflict is not about liberal vs conservative. Reality is moderates verses wacko extremists. Why did a Pope virtually protect pedophiles? Find extremists often in religious institutions where so many are ripe for extremist indoctrination and right wing hatred.
Quote:
Mr. Breivik had been a member of the Progress Party but quit in 2006, disappointed by its move toward moderation

Last edited by tw; 07-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that a terrible act committed by a right-wing, self confessed Muslim hater was initially claimed by a Muslim extremist group?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #33
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that a terrible act committed by a right-wing, self confessed Muslim hater was initially claimed by a Muslim extremist group?
Yes. I do.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #34
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Every extremist wants to take credit for death and destruction. It is the mantra that drives their existence. Even bin Laden tried to claim responsibility from the Indian Ocean. Meanwhile, Cheney blamed Saddam. The Christian coalition blamed gays. And whalers blamed Greenpeace.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #35
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I thought Greenpeace were the extremists.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I thought Greenpeace were the extremists.
They are. No different than Earth First and PETA or other domestic terrorists.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #37
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Every extremist wants to take credit for death and destruction. It is the mantra that drives their existence. Even bin Laden tried to claim responsibility from the Indian Ocean. Meanwhile, Cheney blamed Saddam. The Christian coalition blamed gays. And whalers blamed Greenpeace.
tw, did you even get the point of my post? lol
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

No. Irony is a human frailty, and as such is highly illogical. Irony does not compute.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #40
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I know right. I saw the pics of him and I'm like...you're shitting me. That's a Bond villain right there.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #41
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

[going directly] White people aren't more evil, we're just better at it. [/to hell]
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
What I see is some among the right wing in the US suggesting that Norway was susceptible to this type of horrific attack because they are neutral in the "war on terrorism" or even worse, attempting to use the attack to deflect attention to a perceived problem of Muslim extremists in Norway.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #43
Aliantha

Are you suggesting there are no Muslim extremists in Norway? If so, I'd have to disagree. There are extremists of every ilk pretty much everywhere.

Also, did you get my point? Or you just don't see it? lol
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #44
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

[paraphrasing Cliff Claven]There are no Muslim Extremists in Norwegia, ya moliok.[/Claven]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #45
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Are you suggesting there are no Muslim extremists in Norway? If so, I'd have to disagree. There are extremists of every ilk pretty much everywhere.

Also, did you get my point? Or you just don't see it? lol
No, I dont see the irony, given that extremists often take credit for violent acts of others for their own political purposes.

And, I agree that there are Muslim extremists in Norway but my point was that there are some among the right wing who used this attack to deflect the issue to Muslim extremism, even knowing that it was not responsible.

Like one of Mercenary's reliable sources, Michelle Malkin:

Quote:
FYI: Yes, there is a militant Muslim presence in Oslo.

Also: Norway’s Muslim rapist problem.

And this: Mullah Krekar claims Islam will win.

And this looks like a good excuse for a jihadi bombing, doesn’t it:
A Norwegian prosecutor has filed terror charges against an Iraqi-born cleric for threatening Norwegian politicians with death if he’s deported from the Nordic country.
http://michellemalkin.com/2011/07/22...blast-in-oslo/
What does any of the above have to do with this attack by a conservative Christian on a personal crusade against multiculturalism and Islam?
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote