The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: When it is all over and done with, how would you like to go?
Burial 5 10.64%
Cremation 23 48.94%
Promession (see post text) 5 10.64%
Chemical Digestion (see post text) 0 0%
Other 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #61
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
If there is no afterlife, when you die you simply cease to exist, so you will be neither happy nor sad.
I prefer the turn of the century phrase "dreamless sleep".

...which is disturbing, because it makes it sound so damn inviting because of the work hours I've been putting in during the past week.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #62
May
Non-Newbie Sort

My personal opinion,is that realising death is a slow process..it begins in the early lifetime and sometimes it might cause shock.Some people even get mad with this thought.For example hypochonders are afraid of the possibility of getting sick so by any imaginary symptoms they rush to cure their "diagnosed" disease...so they won't die! If we look at life as the greatest gift we could ever get then we will enjoy it..on the same time,acceptance of death feels natural.A person who thinks in a similar way has won the game with death,because he has accepted it.Such a person lives with peace as if he will live for ever..it doesn't bother him..and this is the aim,not to be bothered by death..this could be another form of immortality!
May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #63
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Burial for me. But cremation is fine too.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:20 AM   #64
Brett's Honey
whatever

Somebody commented earlier on the amount of space it takes to bury people. My aunt & uncle were cremated but they had their urns buried together in a very small plot, about 1/4 size of an adults. Most of my family have gone, and are going the buriel route, although my Mom and stepdad have discussed creamation quite a bit here lately....
Personally, if it would help at all! I'd like to do like my favorite uncle did, and donate my body to medical science. Hell, after that uncomfortable, embarrasing, mortifying!!trip to the "Teaching Hospital" in Ft. Worth, I'm up for the med students to probe & prod especially when I'm dead! I managed to handle it when I was alive! Hopefully, they learn much more than they could without access to cadeavers.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #65
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

A good friend of mine passed away last year. She was cremated. The problem now is the ashes and the urn are at her parents house. I love her parents, but I feel like... I wish she was buried so I could go visit her grave, bring her flowers, and not have to bother the family in anyway. It's long distance too (relatively) so, I can't even think of a reason to call them. It seems weird to say I want to visit the urn in their house. They know I was close with her, and I keep in touch with her sister, and care about them, but I feel awkward about contacting them on this. I feel like they've been through enough without me bothering them. If there were a grave site I could visit it without bothering anyone. So could other friends she had. I don't know if any of them feel this way, but I do.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #66
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Personally, I don't want the 'pomp and circumstance' that a funeral and burial seem to require. I also am cheap, and don't think the money is 'well spent' to throw in a hole in the ground.

Cremate me. Roast marshmallows if you want. But sit around and remember me, rejoice what I had in this life, not what I lost when I left it. I have a fairly good idea of what will happen with my 'non body' self after I leave this word - trust me, I'll be enjoying myself - you should too!

K

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #67
Ridgeplate
Zen Laxatives: "This too shall pass..."

I'm thinking, if all goes well, there won't be enough left of me to worry about.
Failing that end, cremate me and put my bone chip remains into shotgun shells so as to help keep "them pesky undead kids off'n my lawn."
Ridgeplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #68
funkykule
professional bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBsjb
A good friend of mine passed away last year. She was cremated. The problem now is the ashes and the urn are at her parents house. I love her parents, but I feel like... I wish she was buried so I could go visit her grave, bring her flowers, and not have to bother the family in anyway. It's long distance too (relatively) so, I can't even think of a reason to call them. It seems weird to say I want to visit the urn in their house. They know I was close with her, and I keep in touch with her sister, and care about them, but I feel awkward about contacting them on this. I feel like they've been through enough without me bothering them. If there were a grave site I could visit it without bothering anyone. So could other friends she had. I don't know if any of them feel this way, but I do.
I'm sorry
It will always suck at a time like this. You need to find somewhere that meant something to the two of you and make that the place you go to remember her or talk to her. It worked for me.
funkykule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Grave, urn, crypt, wherever..... she's not there.
She's in your head and your heart, so you can visit her whenever you want.
Pick a quiet spot, or whatever works for you, and dedicate some time to talking to her....... no multitasking.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #70
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

in the words of stewie from family guy "the only reason we die, is because we accept it, as an inevitability"

so im living forever. i wont die till im content with life and that wont happen until i know all there is to know. and thats going to take a while
Old 04-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #71
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Grave, urn, crypt, wherever..... she's not there.
She's in your head and your heart, so you can visit her whenever you want.
Pick a quiet spot, or whatever works for you, and dedicate some time to talking to her....... no multitasking.
Thanks. And thanks to Funkykule too... I do talk to her practically everyday. Who knows what I'm expecting. I just miss her.