The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
waiting for the other shoe to hurl

CustomG and Inch both got a GI virus during a recent visit to friends of ours. There has been hurling a plenty and many pale green faces.

Somehow I've managed to avoid it so far...

I guess their kid was still contagious after all.

(With friends like that, who needs enemas?)
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There should be some way to criminally charge parents who say "Oh, he's not contageous any more. Don't mind the open weeping sores, you can't get the ebola from those."

That's how I got chicken pox.

Good luck ... this too shall pass.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
glatt

That sucks. I hope you continue to avoid it.

I'm scared right now. There are three bugs going around this area right now. I've been able to avoid them so far. Not sure how. But I keep hearing of others who are falling ill. I try not to breathe too deeply as I am packed like a sardine in our public transit system twice a day. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger, right?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
That sucks. I hope you continue to avoid it.

I'm scared right now. There are three bugs going around this area right now. I've been able to avoid them so far. Not sure how. But I keep hearing of others who are falling ill. I try not to breathe too deeply as I am packed like a sardine in our public transit system twice a day. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger, right?
For GI bugs, the top three important things to do in public venues (where you can't clean surfaces etc.) are:

1. Wash your hands.
2. Wash your hands.
3. Wash your hands.

Oh yes, and don't touch your face. Ever.

If it's airborne, you're done.

And that's infectious disease prevention 101.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

That said, I think little kids can somehow get their GI viruses to become airborne ...

When we did our pediatrics rotations at the Hospital for Sick Children (Toronto), the senior residents smugly told us that all of us, without exception, would come down with gastro during our month on the ward. We all scrubbed our hands until they were raw. Still, it was the only place I've ever been where interns and residents doing rounds with the attending would suddenly turn green and bolt for the bathroom down the hall, and the attending wouldn't miss a beat.

Not one of us survived ...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
There should be some way to criminally charge parents who say "Oh, he's not contageous any more. Don't mind the open weeping sores, you can't get the ebola from those."

That's how I got chicken pox.

Good luck ... this too shall pass.
I gave chicken pox to a whole poolful of children (potentially) but my Mum is innocent.

We'd just come back from holiday and had the hire car for an extra day, so my parents took us to the really cool swimming pool about 20 miles away. It had a slide and a wave machine and everything!

It wasn't until I got home - and was a bit grizzly and out of sorts - that my "what's this Mum?" first spot was discovered. Mum kissed me from what I remember. For not spoiling the holiday.

Good luck in not getting a free pass to the vomitarium Foot.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Nothing like sharing a good family vomit to bring everyone together.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

I don't know if that's the same thing that's going around here or not...
The virus i'm hearing about is coming out of both ends...and it's not pretty. I've managed to avoid it, I don't know how. A friend of mine and I were hanging out at his parents house, a week after it had been there (the whole house got it, one after the other, in one weekend) he got sick, but I didn't. My older brother got it...but nobody else in my family has. It's weird how that all works out.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

DH had the double whammy virus a few weeks ago. Minirat and I both avioded it, Thank G*d!!

How's it going footsie?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thought I'd ride in on the coattails...I am so bloody awful sick I wish I could curl up and die but NO! Instead I am here at school, wondering if I should just DROP statistics, my lungs on fire and a constant deep, husky cough. Plus, my whole bod aches. I had to come---if you miss even ONE frickin' class, you're toast. Ugh...I want a blankie and a couch and hot tea and a mooooooovie.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Look on the bright side, you're not having a stroke

Hope you feel better soon, Bri!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Look on the bright side, you're not having a stroke

Hope you feel better soon, Bri!
Thanks!

Went to doc= $80.00
Paid for antibiotic=$49.99 (Z pak)
Paid for 2 ounces (yes, that's TWO OUNCES) of cough syrup=$43.47 (tussionex)

Not having a stroke=priceless
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's more than I've spent on my health care in the past two years. Not joking.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Thanks!

Went to doc= $80.00
Paid for antibiotic=$49.99 (Z pak)
Paid for 2 ounces (yes, that's TWO OUNCES) of cough syrup=$43.47 (tussionex)

Not having a stroke=priceless
How on earth did cough syrup cost you so much? and antibiotics?
Antibiotics are so cheap local pharmacies givethem out free. Is that something only for people with insurance? Or are they not run-of-the-mill ones? Or am I being too nosy?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ah, not too nosey. I've no Rx coverage, and, you are right, they ARE giving antibiotics away for free here in Ohio, too. I was Rx'd a med called Z pack which I am guessing isn't one of the freebies. I believe the freebies are like Amoxicillin, etc. Anyway, I called around for prices and that's what I ended up with. The cough syrup is called Tussionex and the same story there. I asked why it cost so much and the pharmacist said, "because it works," which made me wonder why on earth they sell us medicine that doesn't work? So, like, the ones that really DO work cost? I don't get it. anyway, you can certainly google the meds or call your pharmacy to see if it's any cheaper in MI, but I doubt it is. Actually, i'd be kinda interested in knowing what they cost up there...betcha it's the same.

I think b/c I have pneumonia, I was given a big gun, antibiotic-wise. But, check out the tussionex. It's UNREAL! I called WalMart, Meijer, WalGreens, Krogers, and CVS! that's what TWO OUNCES cost! That's like a rare perfume or something!

—James Barrie