The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

UT, How true! and funny
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... I thought the resume was to allow the company to only bring in the most qualified for interviews. I guess I'm behind the times, or that would only apply to highly skilled positions.
The term "most qualified" includes the cost to the employer of the employee's total compensation package. Right after health care reform passed, my corporation (40,000 employees in 5 countries) told staff at my location that all but the most recent hires had to get new employee physicals. They're looking for preexisting medical conditions that may increase their corporate health insurance premiums when that exclusion becomes unlawful. There's nothing to stop them from maintaining such a data base; or, blacklisting employees and contriving grounds for their elimination (especially in at-will employment states) to save money. There's nothing to stop individual executives, with access to such data bases, from taking a copy with them when they change jobs and keeping potentially high cost applicants from getting jobs at other places in that occupational field.

As a job applicant's age increases, so does the probability that they'll become more of a healthcare consumer who raises an employer's health insurance premiums. Those corporations that don't have good medical intelligence on prospective new hires will simply screen them out by age. The pending elimination of preexisting condition clauses has created another DADT scenario only this time with regard to how old a job applicant is. While those who have preexisting medical conditions and those in a higher probability age category for developing expensive medical needs will still be eligible for health insurance, they just won't be able to get a foot in the door for jobs that provide health insurance; unless, they're careful about their initial disclosures.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote