The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tooling around in that would make you forget a lot of things....including being poor an unfinished(unstarted) projects. Just don't forget you're married, and start cruising the malt shoppe.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Try a Freightliner Classic XL with a Cat C15 ACRET engine.

I just passed the 100,000 mile mark in mine in only ten months. I average about 6 mpg though, and it's a diesel so it may not be the best choice for mileage and operating cost. But OH! The interior room!

Brian
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

How about a new Monte Carlo if you're going bigger?

I don't remember if you're a bigger guy, but personally I'd get into a smaller vehicle. We're really happy with our Impreza, but we need AWD here in the winter, your roads are probably better. I'm driving an Echo for gas mileage (44mpg) right now but honestly its handling/size scare the crap out of me. I rode in the Toyota hybrid when I wrecked my bike and really liked the roominess and it has good pick up. I've always liked the VW Jetta but the Passat is appealing due to the AWD.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
You might consider the (Honda) Civic Hybrid. My mom drives one and she's loved it since day one, and a friend of mind in California bought one specifically for the gas mileage and says he usually gets 450-500 miles from a tank (though I don't know how many gallons the tank holds.)
Much of my driving is highway. Hybrids don’t really help highway mileage, do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
I like my Hyundai Sonata, 2 years old and 55k miles. No problems at all. 6 cylinders make vroom vroom go passingly.
I have a friend who is on his third Hundai. I was thinking about one of those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
What do you need room for? Instead of starting by looking at cars, you should start by looking at needs.
Look at your needs and go from there.
My wants and needs differs, just a little. My ultimate vehicle doesn’t exist. That would be a large, four-door, powerful, roomy, cool-looking, luxury car with 4WD on demand, great gas mileage, low maintenance, and a $12,000 sticker price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
I don't understand this motivation. You don't say that there is anything wrong with the Saturn and it's only got 95k miles on it. Why not drive it until it dies? You could put some money away for the future.

Is there some unwritten rule that American families must always have auto loan debt?
The Saturn will probably need some substantial work soon. Little things that I’m not taking care of will turn into big things soon enough. Some of my motivation is that I’m tired of the clutch, the smallness, and not having some of the niceties found in most cars. I purchased the Saturn based solely on commuting needs – it doesn’t have power windows or locks, only has two speakers, I’ve really been roughing it for six years. Timing is also an issue. I’d like to only have one monthly payment – I want the new car to be paid off before the van needs replacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
Spex, i don;t know what you know about me, but I'm a finance manager for a big Nissan dealer in NJ, and if I can be of help with questions regarding current interest rates, warranties, or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at gmail. ( same name...it was available! whooda thunk it?)
Thanks. I work in Jersey, so I may take you up on it. Cock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
How about a new Monte Carlo if you're going bigger?

I don't remember if you're a bigger guy, but personally I'd get into a smaller vehicle. We're really happy with our Impreza, but we need AWD here in the winter, your roads are probably better. I'm driving an Echo for gas mileage (44mpg) right now but honestly its handling/size scare the crap out of me. I rode in the Toyota hybrid when I wrecked my bike and really liked the roominess and it has good pick up. I've always liked the VW Jetta but the Passat is appealing due to the AWD.
I like the looks of the Monte Carlo. The Impala is basically a 4-door version of the MC. I am a bigger guy, and with kids, a 4-door is preferable. An Echo might be too small. I’ll check out the Impreza.

Thanks, again.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Wow! Where the hell are you driving to all the time? Sheesh, and I thought we drove a lot, going to Houston and back 2-3 times a month...
SWMBO commutes about 400-500 miles each week during the school year. once a week she drives about 3.5 hours to school, then back. Some times she does and additional 2 hours down in the city.

Plus up here it is a little like
texas in that the nearest smallish city is 25 minutes away, anypalce more substantial is at least 45 minutes.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
if I were to buy a car, i think it would be this one:

Need a parts car?

Know how to best sell this as a parts car? It's got some fine parts on it. If you look closely you might notice brand-new Kumho tires on the fronts. They are one day old, as is the inspection sticker on the windshield.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ach, dthot does geev mi pain. ees tha lad ew-kay?

Last edited by lumberjim; 10-03-2006 at 12:49 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's Jacquelita's lassie who got the car, she's a hardy sort and was not damaged when this ass in a construction vehicle hit her at 15mph in a Wawa parking lot.

One of her four teenage passengers had the presense of mind to go get a cheap throwaway camera at the Wawa, and the resulting pics proved to the driver's insurance company that she was 0% at fault and thus could get a nice check for more than twice the amount I charged her for the car.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
The Saturn will probably need some substantial work soon. Little things that I’m not taking care of will turn into big things soon enough. Some of my motivation is that I’m tired of the clutch, the smallness, and not having some of the niceties found in most cars. I purchased the Saturn based solely on commuting needs – it doesn’t have power windows or locks, only has two speakers, I’ve really been roughing it for six years. Timing is also an issue. I’d like to only have one monthly payment – I want the new car to be paid off before the van needs replacing.
My first car was a 93 saturn sl twin cam. When we got it (my sis and I) it had 170k miles on it. Before that it had had no substantial work, and while I owned it I had to fix the alternator, and a fan about $170 altogether. The odometer stopped working around 260k miles and it still runs well enough...we passed it onto my aunt. My next car was a Saturn and I was wrecked by a semi. I went home from the hopital that day w/ a prescription for pain pills and would've been just fine if it weren't for the injuries i suffered due to being rear-ended. They are safe, reliable and get good mpgs.
Saturns are worth getting...you might want to get a new car to fit your needs better, but I would still stick with Saturn...hopefully I'll be getting my new-used Saturn today!

Last edited by morethanpretty; 10-03-2006 at 01:48 PM.
morethanpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Need a parts car?

Know how to best sell this as a parts car? It's got some fine parts on it. If you look closely you might notice brand-new Kumho tires on the fronts. They are one day old, as is the inspection sticker on the windshield.
call West Chester Foreign Car, ask for Don. tell him you are a friend of Shelby's and ask him if he has any interest in it. 610.692.4337. speak up, the shop is loud, and Don's got weak hearing.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #26
david86blue
Kinda New Member

I also have a Sonata, and I really like it for the road; near 30 mpg on open highway, a very nice sound system and a good deal less than the Camry.
david86blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sonata? Would you like a tissue?

Hi david86blue, welcome to the Cellar.