The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-12-2002, 12:42 AM   #16
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

UT, next time you head over to NJ, you look me up. We'll take a picture as we buy our spirits and flip off the PA side of the Delaware.
Better yet come up to NY and we sway our way through the wine trail. Finger lakes wines have gained a lot of respect in the last twenty or thirty years and theres nothing like getting shwilled for free and then getting turned lose to buy wine by the case. Wow, I'm starting to talk myself into a winery tour this weekend. The key is to find someplace to camp within staggering distance...
Old 06-12-2002, 08:13 AM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

I know folks that wine tour by bike, not too smart.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:15 AM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well, I discovered that the strip mall where my clarinet mechanic has his office has a liquor store in it. So, when I picked up the horns yesterday, I went in on impulse and picked up a couple bottles of single malt scotch. Based on my memory of PA state store prices, I thought things looked cheaper. But it turned out the two things I bought were the same price according to the PLCB web site. Still, I didn't have to pay sales tax on them! So, where ARE the best places to go to break PA law? (It also occured to me that single malt scotch may not be as much subject to discounting as cheaper stuff.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:23 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's also the only way to get Finger Lakes wines in Pennsyltucky as they do not sell them in the state's liquor stores. Which is a true shame, because they are fine but simple wines at good prices. And people should be drinking the wines of their region or nearby regions, just as a matter of tradition.

I've been up there a few times and it's a fine way to spend a weekend.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:28 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Crossing the river into NJ, K, the best way to go is to find one of the discounters which dot the sides of the roads. Syc found Roger Wilco which is up his way; there are about six Canal's outlets, one in Camden right across the Ben Franklin, a few further in across various bridges.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:55 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah, Roger Wilco kicks ass. In addition to their 2 locations on Rt. 73, they have a 3rd location on US 130 in Burlington, near the B-B Bridge (still only $2 coming into PA).

The one on Rt. 73 S in Pennsauken is probably the best though. The only liquor store I know that puts a candle to that store is Tic-Toc Liquor in Langley Park, MD.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

The wife & I were down near the south end of the Blue Route today and we decided to tool on down across the Delaware border, since she was out of wine and it was Sunday. We checked out Total Wines on Naamans Road right off I-95/495. It was like being on another planet! They've got a customer. Less than 1/2 hr from our house. I shoulda done it years ago, but I always figured it was more trouble than it was worth.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #23
Jakeline
Disorderly Orderly

Okay, I'm from California, so you're going to have to explain this to me: only the state-owned stores can sell liquor in PA? What is the rationale behind this? How long has it been like this?

C'mon down to visit me. We'll go down to Trader Joes. They have the cheapest wine around. How can you go wrong with a $2.99 bottle of wine? If it isn't good, who cares? It was only 2.99!
Jakeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 08:42 PM   #24
elSicomoro

It's been like that since the end of Prohibition. Only state stores (Wine and Spirits Shoppes) can sell wine and hard liquor. It was basically done to keep shit under control, but has turned into a patronage system and cash cow.

The chances of getting rid of it are slim at best. Part of the problem is the fact that union workers work in the shops. They refuse to go down without a fight. Another problem is that the revenue has been helping out the budget during the current fiscal crisis. (Although some have argued that selling it off could be a bigger windfall...I agree.)

The other problem is the very nature of PA. Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, Alabama in the middle (to borrow from James Carville). A lot of groups were against Sunday sales (which started at select stores a few months ago) and don't want these items to be more available. It's also incredibly hard to get a liquor license in this state (though it was made a bit easier a year ago)...a license on the market could fetch $2 million easily, and you'll find many places that are BYOB. The state will only issue permits for every so many number of people. Based on the current population, there are currently "too many" permits out there, so no new ones are issued (at least as of a year ago).

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is my main pet peeve about living in PA. It's obviously something I can deal with, since I'm not an alcoholic. But why make it so fucking difficult and expensive for residents to partake in a spirit?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:05 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

After the end of prohibition a number of states only allowed liquor sales by the govt. PA was one of those states. Unfortunately this led to the creation of a union of employees which then led to an unbreakable political situation.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:08 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Grain tends to be not available at state stores in the slums or near college campuses. My two local stores only have pints or their ml equivalent. I don't remember how it was labeled and I tossed the bottles after I dumped the grain in with the fruit.
It does seem strange that the largest purchacer of booze in the world has the highest prices.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-25-2003 at 10:11 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 PM   #27
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
It does seem strange that the largest purchacer of booze in the world has the highest prices.
I'm not surprised. That ridiculous 18% tax was to help repair Johnstown after the floods...of the 1930s.

In the end, it's all about good ol' government bureaucracy.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:43 AM   #28
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakeline
Okay, I'm from California, so you're going to have to explain this to me: only the state-owned stores can sell liquor in PA? What is the rationale behind this? How long has it been like this?
Not only that, beer can only be sold at distributorships that legally can only sell by the case, or by bars that have a take-out license--and it's VERY expensive at these places.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #29
elSicomoro

A lot of delis sell 6 and 12 packs...that's where I usually buy mine.

So, when in such a retarded situation, you have 3 options:

--Pay through the nose, which is generally the remedy if you don't live relatively close to one of the state's borders (and don't feel like paying a toll to cross back into PA from NJ).

--In the case of beer, you buy it by the case. This actually isn't too bad, as case prices are reasonable. I find it outlandish, but that's only b/c I'm spoiled. I'm from St. Louis, the home of Anheuser-Busch. Paying more than $10 for a case of Natural Light is an outrage in my book.

--Drive to one of the border states. I'm not sure about OH and WV, but I know that the other border states (NY, NJ, DE, and MD) offer alcohol at cheaper prices and make it more readily available. There is a risk...if you are busted by PA authorities, the fine (for not paying excise tax to PA) is $25 per bottle. At the same time, the chances of getting busted, if you know how to play the system, are slim to none.

Sometimes, I like things that are not easily available here in PA. And if I buy enough, it could be worth my time to go outside of PA. And I live 15 minutes from 5 bridges that cross the Delaware River, one of them a free bridge. You do the math.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:26 PM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Natural Light is an outrage in my book.
:p