Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #271
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Rap... almost always... actually more than almost always... Come to think of it, I don't recall any Rap music I have ever liked. I made a decision... All Rap music annoys me...
Rap is 3/4 crap ... and the other 1/4 is just as bad
Kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #272
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
websites that won't let you leave.
I'll take a shot that may be way off target, but are you talking about sites that won't let you back button out? If so, and you're using IE, the little black arrowhead next to the backbutton will let you escape by clicking on the site you want from the list that pops up.

If you're talking about something else, then sorry, nevermind.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 AM   #273
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I may have mentioned this before, but it's a genuine cri de coeur so please forgive me.

Marks & Spencers. Old people. Lunchtime.

They move so slowly, they can't walk and talk at the same time so will stop right in front of you if asked a question by their other half, they block the aisles while treating the place as a social club, they have no peripheral vision and are not respecters of personal space. Every time I have had a trolley or a shopping bag pressing against the back of my legs in a queue it has been an old person.

I go into the 5 till Basket Only queue now. Old people don't tend to use this because 1) they need trolleys to keep them upright and 2) they can't deal the fact the person at the front has to keep an eye on which is the next till free - they always have to be summoned by the cashier shouting, "Who's next please!" three or four times and it flusters them. Goodness knows why, the same system is in place in the Post Office and they spend half their lives there.

They get up at 05.30 in the morning, so why on earth are they in town between 12.00-14.00 when the rest of us are trying to grab a sandwich and a drink? Why can't they go there first thing when the rest of us are safely at our desks nursing our first coffee? Let them buy their tins of stewing steak and bags of oranges then.

Small shops and newsagents, especially in villages, often have signs saying, "Two schoolchilden at a time only" because kids with their big schoolbags, loud voices and low spending power just clog the shops up and annoy normal people. Also the less schoolkids in shops at a time, the less likely one will be to slip a Mars Bar up their sleeve. I understood this as a schoolchild, and certainly have no problem with it now I'm older.

I just think M&S should apply the same restrictions to old people.

Please note I also believe students should receive lessons in supermarket shopping when they first come to University - I am equal opportunity intolerant.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #274
Griff
still says videotape

Web sites which you have to use for classes that that are always down. Yes, I am calling you out livetext.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #275
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
They get up at 05.30 in the morning, so why on earth are they in town between 12.00-14.00 when the rest of us are trying to grab a sandwich and a drink? Why can't they go there first thing when the rest of us are safely at our desks nursing our first coffee? Let them buy their tins of stewing steak and bags of oranges then.

I've had this same beef for years. My brother once mentioned trying to get a quick fast food run in (at places where only a half an hour is allotted for lunch) and there is grandma and grandpa with grandchildren Tyler, Taylor, and Skyler (complete with bowl haircuts and hair tails) trying to decide if it's Taylor or Tyler who likes barbeque sauce. Also, they should stay out of the banks. I've said it before...they have all freaking day!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #276
Cloud

and I suppose when we get too old to chew, you'll just throw us out in the snow to starve, too.

Ageism is a particularly insidious and ironic form of hatred, because someday, if you're lucky, you'll get there, too.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #277
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

When I was a teenager I waitressed at this pancake place. I had many peeves about customers but my two pet peeves were: parents asking a two year old child what he wanted to eat whilst I had 4-5 tables waiting for me and people asking me "how big" the silver dollar pancakes were. I always said they were about as big as "a buck and a half" and then just stared at them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #278
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
and I suppose when we get too old to chew, you'll just throw us out in the snow to starve, too.

Ageism is a particularly insidious and ironic form of hatred, because someday, if you're lucky, you'll get there, too.
Not fair...I live in an old people community. I help them out. I love old people and their grandchildren. My beef was more of a timing thing than due to their age.

You're jumping to conclusions about which you know nothing. There's where most of MY hatred goes.

Also, if you can't fathom a little tongue in cheek dark humor perhaps you need to find the Staircase to Joy and Light forum rather than the Cellar. It gets dark down here.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #279
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Inconsiderate assholes on the bus. There is a guy who gets on the same bus I take after work. He gets on a few stops after me.
He has cerebral palsey and uses 2 canes and has a great deal of trouble getting on the bus. It is easier for him to sit in the first seat so if I am already there, I get up and let him have it.
The other day I did this and some old, ignorant bitch speaking Cantonese as loudly as possible to her husband who was sitting a few seats back yells to him and points to the seat I just stood up from for the guy with the canes. I look at the bitch and point to the guy getting on the bus. She ignores me and her husband and his 5 shopping bags take the seat. All I could do was shrug an apology to the man and shake my head at the old lady staring at me with a smile on her face now. I mouthed the words "stupid bitch" and walked down to the back of the bus.
Common courtesy is supposed to be common no matter what language you speak.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #280
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm not ageist. People who get in my way annoy the shit out of me:
A couple of months ago it was the new intake of University students treating the supermarket like a theme park while I was tryingto shop
When I lived in London it was the tourists who stood right in the entrance to Tube stations to chat and get their maps out
Sometimes it will be people who illegally park on the pavement while I am trying to get by with bags of shopping

I've never behaved in any of the ways above, so I doubt I'll start when I get old.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #281
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I've never behaved in any of the ways above, so I doubt I'll start when I get old.
I've always thought that old age instills one with a hearty sense of "not giving a shit, because what difference does it make"?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #282
rkzenrage

There are a lot of people who feel the same way about the disabled because we "hold them up".
The world is not set to your pace.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #283
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
The world is not set to your pace.
This is best evidenced in traffic. No matter how aggressively you ride my rear bumper, it won't affect what's in front of me.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #284
rkzenrage

Exactly... as I stated before... the closer you get to me, the slower I'm going to go.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #285
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You all annoy me today...you fuckers!

Time for my meds...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote