The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

Grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave the monastery.
and when you realize that there is no pebble, you will be ready.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

50 years. I don't have goals - I just try enjoy whatever comes my way and avoid stuff that rubs me the wrong way. Looking ahead is not one of my gifts.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

i just achieved a goal - i just whacked a rattle snake with a 5 iron! rock on. i can die happy now.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #19
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If the goals are limitless -- if I can set some serious crush-my-enemies, see-them-driven-before-me, hear-the-lamentation-of-their-women, put-Grover-Norquist-and-everyone-like-him-on-a-one-way-rocketship-to-Pluto, rub-Aladdin's-lamp-and-make-anything-happen kinds of goals -- I'd consider the 18 months.

But eighteen months can go like _that_. Hell, I can't believe it's June already, and that's just THIS year. Gimme the fifty.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #20
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I think the range is too far. I think a better question would be 10 years of overwhelming financial and personal success (not enough to watch you kids grow up), or 50 years of being a middle-management person who never stands out or does anything great.

Nice Conan-like goals vsp!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #21
Torrere
a real smartass

Where oh where did May go!?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:33 PM   #22
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Choice

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123
imagine you are told you have to make a choice: 1) you can live 50 more years, but will never achieve the goals you set, and will only find mediocre levels of success in all areas of your life. 2) you have 18 months to live but you will be granted everything you desire during that 18 months.

Which would you choose?
Hrm...well since I'm not a goal orientated person, and so far my life has been somewhat mediocre (read: normal), then what's another 50 years, eh? Especially in my situation, since I have no idea if I am going to even really live another 10 much less 50 years! :p

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:35 AM   #23
marichiko

I'd take the 18 months. If I could achieve what I really wanted to do rather than live a life of mediocrity, hell yes! Burn out bright and burn out fast. It might have been short, but I would have LIVED my life.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 AM   #24
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

OK everyone. Stop talking. You DO have 18 months to do whatever you want to do, to at least TRY and achieve the goals you want to achieve. I am sick of these 'wish' questions. It is lazy to want rewards with no effort and believe me the reward truly is sweeter for the suffering, in whatever context. I climbed a very tall hill a few weeks ago. We didn't go up the tourist route. We climbed up the side of the hill amongst nettles, brambles and 6 foot high grass. It was at least a 60° gradient and I hated every minute of it. But when we got to the top, we realised something important. If we hadn't struggled, fallen, cut ourselves and got thoroughly exhausted and frustrated with each other, it just wouldn't have been the same. We realised it's all about the journey, not where you're going.

So I'll take the 50. And I'll make every month what I want it to be.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #25
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman
OK everyone. Stop talking. You DO have 18 months to do whatever you want to do, to at least TRY and achieve the goals you want to achieve.
pffft - i don't have time to work towards my goals when i keep cellar on my screen all the time.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #26
LSMFT
Confounded Conjuror

Easy. My goal is to live the rest of my life in mediocrity. I'll gladly take the 51.5 years at this point.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #27
marichiko

As for me, time's up. I'm outta here! I'm waaitiing! (taps toe and looks impatiently up at the sky).