The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Clean Up or Buy New PC?

My computer is too slow.

I can't remember how old it is. I lose track of things like that. I think it's about 3 years old. It wasn't exactly state of the art then. But I am not doing things that need a lot of power - no CAD programs, only very simple graphics stuff, word processing, web surfing, e-mail. Hard drive still has plenty of room, but I know I need more memory.

I used to be on top of all this stuff, but nowadays I'm too impatient, all I want to do is USE the thing, not fiddle with it.

I don't want to invest in a new computer right now. I could, but I'd rather be frugal. I think this one will last me at least another year without too many headaches, if I can get it cleaned up. The main problem is it's too slow, and every now and then it just freezes for a few minutes...I hear the hard disk growling, then eventually it comes back to life after it's done with whatever it was trying to do.

How's the best way to approach this? Back in the DOS days I had this down pat. Even the original MS Windows was not too difficult, but now there's this registry crap and I just can't figure out where it puts all the temporary files and shit...UGH. I can usually figure out techy stuff but believe me, it's on a need-to-know basis.

Like, I've gone and deleted a bunch of programs I didn't need but I know they left a bunch of crap behind, because that's just what they do. You do the adware scan applications and they either delete stuff you NEED or leave bits of themselves behind while they're claiming to get rid of other stuff. The hard drive on this PC must look like an old barn that's only been halfheartedly mucked out from time to time, rife with cobwebs, bat guano, owl pellets and petrified horse poop. I feel like just burning it down and starting fresh.

So, do I just backup all the stuff I need and reformat the thing? Or is there an easier way that won't take me a whole week to accomplish? (YES I have backups...but not everything. Just the most important stuff.)
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Depends on how much your time is worth to you. I don't mind burning a DVD every couple of years and reinstalling windows. It's kind of cleansing.

More memory would probably help some. Depending on how many programs you run at once and how much ram they like, you ought to have 1 or 2 gigs of memory.

Also don't forget to optimize your hard drive.

None of these things is going to make your machine radically faster. But it might be enough to keep you satisfied with your machine for another year or two.

Another thing to consider. It may not be your "machine" that is slowing down. If you have been following instructions, Microsoft has been pushing updates to you. Those updates make your machine more secure, but you can bet none of them have improved your computer's performance.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

Who me, follow instructions? Nah. I get the notices and treat them like the calls on my caller ID from "gutter shutter" and 'card ID center" that are basically annoyances...if it works, why fuck wiht it?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
So, do I just backup all the stuff I need and reformat the thing? Or is there an easier way that won't take me a whole week to accomplish?
What is the objective? To make it faster? First, most of what you did does not address that objective.

Not stated is what needs more power. Second, two bottlenecks are CPU and memory. To alleviate stress on both, find and eliminate as many other processes as possible. Start with Task Manager. Two important numbers are CPU time and Memory Delta. Any process that is consuming too much CPU time might be eliminated. Any unnecessary process with numerous Memory Deltas, when eliminated, should permit that main program to run faster.

And finally, third, go to www.crucial.com to run the memory scanner. Learn how much memory can be installed, how much more might be purchased, memory type, and prices.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Buy a new one. The technology changes so fast and is so much improved that the one you buy today is already out dated in a year. Prices have come down and with the downturned economy you can get some really great deals right now.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

My pc is six years old. I have had to reformat a couple of times. ( reinstall windows )I regret it dosn't have enough memory for the amount of h/d space it has. The c/d drive door to the burner isn't automatic anymore but it is still a good computer.

If you do what dar and tw says you'll get a bunch of more speed out of it. It still has to have good bones.

Mine isn't worth anything resale but then the moment you buy a new one it isn't worth much anymore either especially when they come out with a new o.s.

If it is just 2 years old clean it up. If you want something new buy a laptop. That is my plan anyway.

oh p.s the amount of things you allow to access the internet will slow it down as well. I found that some antivirus and firewalls will be bloaty and slow some computers down. Watching this plus what dar and tw say to do will make your pc something you'll want to hang on to.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Slowness can be a sign of spyware infection. Anti-virus slows your system down while it's scanning, but if you don't have any, you really should install something to see whether you've been infected. AVG is freeware and OK.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Another good tool is Ccleaner, formerly Crap Cleaner. This attempts to remove unnecessary files and useless old registry entries. You may want to keep some things, like form history and cookies, so be careful what you let it clean. Remove every program you don't need via Add And Remove Programs before running it. It will clean the junk those leave behind.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Juniper
I know, right?

I have McAfee and it works fine. I was using AVG for a long time and I think I liked it better.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Juni, you might be interested in this thread.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
tw

Provided are many suggestions. But without knowing facts - what the actual hardware is or what is must execute - then everything is only wild and subjective speculation. Little is useful or in perspective without those basic facts.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Provided are many suggestions.
Who taught you English, Yoda?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Who taught you English, Yoda?
Did I use too many words again? Sorry.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Did I use too many words again? Sorry.
No it was your choice of passive voice. Passive voice is a bad habit. It makes your writing less forceful and harder to read.

It is also a hard habit to break (speaking from experience).
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

hard, it is, to break, yes.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote