The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #46
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

My old high school system turned to hell during my last few years. Basically all the best teachers left out to retirement since they were getting to that age and troubles within the district for very young and inexperienced (bad) teachers.

Our whole school system should be redone in my opinion but that would be a long process.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #47
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I think a large part of it is because by definition, parents who homeschool are parents who care. Kids with parents who care will do better whether they are in public school or not.
Absolutely. You see it at our school too, which is a public school, but one with an alternative program which relies on lots of parental involvement. In fact it's parent run. Literally. The parents who don't care generally are not attracted to the school (it's is a magnet school, enrollment is not neighborhood-based), and the kids with parents who don't care who do end up there -well there are enough parents who do care to go around, so they get the benefit too.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #48
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Good points, clod and monster!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #49
rkzenrage

Homeschooling is great as long as it is not an excuse for religious indoctrination.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

That is none of your business.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #51
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

If by his business you mean that he shouldn't be able to prevent it, I agree. If you mean that he shouldn't say it isn't great, then I'll wholeheartedly disagree. Parents who homeschool to protect their kids from "evilution" or knowledge of contraception are doing their kids a grave disservice.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

We agree.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #53
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Homeschooling is great as long as it is not an excuse for religious indoctrination.
...or an excuse not to get out into the real world & work. I think the vast majority of homeschooling is a great thing, even though my kids got screwed by it.

Last edited by yesman065; 08-29-2007 at 08:01 PM.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
...or an excuse not to get out into the real world & work. I think the vast majority of homescooling is a great thing, even though my kids got screwed by it.
Especially if you were responsible for their spelling lesson.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #55
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I don't have too many complaints about our local schools, here in Golden *yet* but I have considered homeschooling before. I can't seem to get past the fact that the social environment is very different and has to be somehow supplemented. Jinx, I am sure you have some way of doing this with your kids. I just don't know how I could provide enough of that without being a complete social butterfly, myself. (I am very shy in real life.)
We joined a health club - so the kids take classes (gymnastics, swimming, dance, cheerleading, karate, soccer, flag football, cooking, etc so far) with lots of other kids. And they just hang out at the pool, the kids gym, or the video game room sometimes too.
Last school year we were getting together about once a week with another homeschool family to do field trips. There are 2 or 3 other families interested in doing that with us this year.
I joined an email list (yahoo groups) for local homeschoolers, and there are always people looking to get together for this and that - as well as a ton of useful questions and answers.

I am *not* a social butterfly, and kept my kids in private school longer than I really wanted to because I was concerned about socialization. Its not so hard though, and it's real. They play with the kids they really like - and aren't locked in a room with ones they don't, based only on age and lottery.

Whatever works for you though, that's my philosophy. Right now homeschooling is working for us but we do constantly reevaluate and stay aware of our options. (There's a quaker school that I would LOVE to send them to, just can't afford it)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #56
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Especially if you were responsible for their spelling lesson.
LOL - great one for me - I was burnin the chicken and posted without checking.

I corrected it.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #57
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
You trust LJ more to teach your kids than a teacher?
Well, at least your kids'll have an... ample vocabulary.
I'm the music teacher and occasional phys ed instructor. which is to say that jinx does ALL of the work. I'm busy getting the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost View Post
My Son has Impulse Control Disorder, which is not understood in the medical community, so how could it be understood in the class room.
we used to call that 'being a dick' I still get that some days. only the days that end with a 'y' though.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #58
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Whatever works for you though, that's my philosophy. Right now homeschooling is working for us but we do constantly reevaluate and stay aware of our options. (There's a quaker school that I would LOVE to send them to, just can't afford it)
This is the answer. We're still in a Catholic school here because it's still working for us. No bullying, high expectations, and the friends they've been with for years... just try to do right by your kids.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #59
rkzenrage

I think Catholic and Episcopal schools are great. Many cater to other denominations and go out of their way not to indoctrinate.
The local Episcopal school advertises it and is the best school in the district.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #60
roost
Eavesdropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I'm the music teacher and occasional phys ed instructor. which is to say that jinx does ALL of the work. I'm busy getting the money.

we used to call that 'being a dick' I still get that some days. only the days that end with a 'y' though.
Excuse me!
I think some on here are making very wrong comments on an issue involving children.
Could you please rethink your comment?
roost is offline   Reply With Quote