The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

any guitar players or musicians?

Anyone in here is guitar players or string musicians, whom I can ask a question so I wouldn’t have to join a guitar forum?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

There are quite a few, the least of whom is our fearless leader of course.

What's the question?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sure!

I dabble on a six-string, but there are plenty here who have played at least semi-pro. UT slaps a mean bass.

So, don't string us along, but stop fretting, get your pluck up, stick your neck out, and ask away!

(Someone's going to tell me to EAD for that last line!)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

My guitar (in its case) fell from the top shelf and hit the ground. The 5th string broke, which I changed out. It feels taunt and sounds okay. While testing out the other strings, I found out the 2nd string is very loose. I turned the tuning peg, but the string was still very loose. I kept on turning until the bridge pin popped out. I put it back in and did it again and the same thing happened again.

My question: Is the string broken somehow? Or is there something else wrong? Or should I just change out the string to save the headache?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Ibby
erika

I'm assuming that "bridge pin" implies steel-string acoustic?
When you say it's very loose - does it hold tune? is it too loose when brought to tune, or does it not get up to tune?
If it holds tune but is too loose, you want a thinner string by a tiny bit.
If it won't get up to tune, you more likely have a problem with your bridge rather than your string. Make sure the bridge pin is being replaced properly. Honestly, the string should break before the bridge gives out, if the string and bridge are installed properly and its a quality axe. If it won't tune, and the bridge pin is definitely going back in right, you can try replacing the string but I doubt that's the problem - more likely you'll need to replace the bridge pin or even the bridge.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

How hard did you push the bridge pin in? Give it a good firm push with a bit of twisting as it goes in.

I know, I know ... that's what she said...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

What kind of guitar? Classical? Vinyl or steel strings? And by second, do you mean the B string? Is the little metal loop right up under the pin? Do the pins have grooves?

Sorry to tw you.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

pics
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I’ve put up some pictures, so hopefully that will explain some more. It’s a classical guitar with vinyl strings. My first response would say it does not hold tune. That’s why I tried to tune it. But now, I’m not so sure anymore. When the string popped out, I did put it back in and gave the pin a good firm push with a twist. It still popped out. And to answer Jim, yes, I do mean the B string. There is no metal loop right up under the pin. There is a metal loop at the end of the 5th string that I replaced.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
It’s a classical guitar with vinyl strings.
No, it's not.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Ibby
erika

Also, you need a new string.
Those little eyelets at the bottoms of fresh strings?
They're what hold the string in place. Much more effectively than that tiny little knot you've tied.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

why so rude?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, that's what I have. I got a pack of extra strings. The 3 low strings look like what's on the guitar. The 3 high strings are steel strings with knotted ends like the one I left hanging out so y'all can see which string I'm talking about. The envelope says nylon strings so I say I've got nylon strings.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Ibby
erika

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be rude! Re-reading it, i'm sorry, it does come off a little abrasive. my bad.

But, those aren't nylon strings on the guitar in the picture, and that isn't a classical guitar. If you bought nylon strings, I can't imagine why there would be steel strings in an envelope marked nylon strings.
A nylon bridge, with strings, looks like this:

Nylon high strings are clear plastic nylon, not steel like in the photo.
Steel strings look like this:

Note the eyelets at the ends. Those go under the bridge pin, to hold in place. My guess is just that the little knot at the end of your trouble string is just slipping through the pin. The eyelets fix that.

If the strings in your photo are just very deceptively sized and coloured nylon strings - well, you have a steel-string guitar, and it would probably both sound better and string properly if you strung it with steel strings.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

The guitar itself does not appear to be a typical classical guitar. They generally have no pick guard. The strings that are on it are classical nylon strings, though. There are two types of classical strings.

To start, all of those strings need to be replaced. When you buy them be sure to get the ones with the rings on the ends.
Name:  51j8%2Bh4KmmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  21.1 KB
Many are designed to be tied to the bridge end. You don't have that kind of bridge. Those pegs you have are made to use with the 'ball ended' strings like the first ones above.

Martin, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball. should be less than $7 for a pack. buy two. classical string break a lot.

Check you tube for guitar stringing instructions.