The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
sugarpop
Professor

cable vs satellite TV

Who here has cable, and who has satellite? We have comcast, but it's so damn expensive. Also, the freaking cable box is always pixelating (sp), and the sound goes out. It's really annoying. For the price, it really should work better. I've already switched the box out once, and have an appointment to switch it out again. Does satellite have these problems?
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

We had Dish Network for 4 years I think, and DirecTV for 6.

My advice is to shop for the programming you want and see how the pricing looks. We have a DirecTV Tivo box, and it works great. The picture will go out in a big storm, but it's usually fine in your average rain or snow. But, our cable went out much more often when we had it. I'd say with the satellite we have maybe 2-3 weather related outages in a typical year.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We have satellite here at the moment and had cable before that. There's not much difference from what I can tell with our two. We get a bit of pixelation every now and then, but nothing I worry too much about.

Last edited by Aliantha; 02-03-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Comcast sucks.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Got so fed up with cable we dropped it and picked up NetFlix. Final straw was when I realized that we were only genuinely watching (as in "intently, not just for background noise", etc) four shows and three of them only had new episodes for several weeks out of the year. The rest of the time the TV was being turned on and what was being aired was just... crap.

Living without TV is a mixed blessing. Blah.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
jbt
Resident-in-Training

I would probably drop cable and just get broadcast TV, but I wouldn't get any TV because of the mountains in my area. I would need to get a BIG outdoor antenna to get any channels. The only thing I like about cable is that I don't have a contract, which is good because I am renting right now.
jbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Who here has cable, and who has satellite? We have comcast, but it's so damn expensive. Also, the freaking cable box is always pixelating (sp), and the sound goes out. It's really annoying. For the price, it really should work better. I've already switched the box out once, and have an appointment to switch it out again. Does satellite have these problems?
Do you have FIOS as an option there? I didn't get their tv package when I got the phone and internet, but it was an option and priced very competitively with cable. Supposed to be good quality too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have Comcast, mostly for the high speed internet. 4 boxes and more TV's. We have not had that much problem with it. Any problems that we have had are usually fixed within a few days. I can't complain that much.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

We have satellite, now. If we kill all the power than it takes it a minute or so to find its satellites again, and it goes out in bad storms - which is exactly when I'd love to know what's happening out there. I bought a weather radio so my biggest issue is solved. Get the best price for the programming provider you don't want, then use it to twist the tail of the other to get it beat. Might work!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Comcast sucks.
Yes, it does. I HATE comcast.

Thanks for the input. I really wish someone would come out with a plan where you only buy the channels you want. We watch about, maybe, 10 or 12 channels, but we are paying for all of them. I asked if I could just buy HBO, but they said no. I hate paying for all those channels we never use.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

FIOS TV is simply outstanding... ly expensive. No I kid, it is, but the high-def content is truly high-def (not compressed into a crappy signal, as the cable and dish people do).
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Comcast.

Strangely, I do not hate them. I despise the amount of money that I pay them, but I do not hate them.

My signal quality is good, no pixelations, and more importantly, no outages.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
chrisinhouston
Professor

We have cable, a smaller company called Sudden Link which sure is a stupid name for a company in the communications business. That being said they are pretty good. We have one of their sub region offices right in our neighborhood and if you call in with a problem they usually get right out and check try to fix it. We get Cable TV and HS internet through them.

The thing we hate as most consumers do is having to pay for hundreds of cable stations you have no interest in watching. And half the time when I do some channel surfing I can't find a damn thing that's worth watching. Mostly we watch DVDs when it comes to movies as we have a pretty big collection.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
FIOS TV is simply outstanding... ly expensive. No I kid, it is, but the high-def content is truly high-def (not compressed into a crappy signal, as the cable and dish people do).
Have you seen the Comcast HD picture to compare it? We're holding on to our SD DirecTV Tivo box for the moment. We're waiting until we see what Fios has to offer, not to mention the reported appearance of an HD-capable Tivo on DirecTV, before we commit to anything.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I once saw a price breakdown that indicated that if everyone could shop for just the channels they wanted, a huge number of the specialized channels would have to cost so much that you'd be paying the same amount for your 10-12 channels anyway.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote