The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
Telefunken
Going for the DX

How much pain?

How much pain can the human body withstand until it shuts down?
Telefunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:45 AM   #2
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

I'll let you know in a few weeks.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
Nothing But Net
Professor

Ask the women

because they will tell you there is no worse pain than childbirth.

Actually, this could well be true. I'm glad I'll never have to go through it! Really men, can you imagine passing something the size and weight of a bowling ball?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

If you measure pain on a 1 to 10 basis with 10 being blackout i've witnessed a 10 and, IMO a 12 or more.
The 10 was a result of a friend kicking his motorbike in anger. There was a gap between the inside of his boot and the steel safety cap. Half of his big toe went down the gap, the other side stayed inside the steel cap. He screamed, looked at me in anguish then fell over unconscious, albeit momentarily. When he awoke he began screaming again.
The 12+ was hammering a too big dynabolt into a too small hole, while perched atop an aliminium extension ladder. (15 feet )
The hits were getting harder until one went astray. His thumb literally exploded. Blood went amazing distances. He instantly went limp and fell/collapsed backward. Somehow his legs fell through the rungs leaving him dangling upside down about 5 feet above the ground. He didn't regain consciousness for at least a minute. He too began screaming and didn't stop untill the ambos arrived with happy gear.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
jaguar
whig

ow fuck me on the #12 novice.

The problem with pain is there is no way to quantify it, you can't say that X is say worth about 4.56 painometers or so.

That said I feel this is going to be whicey thread.

Telefunken: why?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:50 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Large steam turbine blades are attached to the rotor with a machined base called a christmas tree root that fits tightly into a similarly shaped groove in the rotor. In the field, the blades were driven into the groove with a sledge hammer. The bladers who do this for a living, have arms like the Govenator and wail on a brass drift, being held by their partner, with that 12 pound sledge.
You already know where this is going and it's not pretty.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
funkykule
professional bowler

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar

The problem with pain is there is no way to quantify it, you can't say that X is say worth about 4.56 painometers or so.

I agree. The problem with pain quantification is that some people are just plain whiney when thay are sick or in pain(not unlike myself) and others (like my dad) aren't affected by pain like regular people. Obviously having your big toe sliced in half is gonna kill, but on not so serious injuries and maladies there is no way to compare extent of pain and pain thresholds since we all respond differently... just my inexpert 2 cent!
funkykule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

99, you poppin' one out? Congrats!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Re: Ask the women

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing But Net

Actually, this could well be true. I'm glad I'll never have to go through it! Really men, can you imagine passing something the size and weight of a bowling ball?
I've heard that a man can experience this level of pain by passing a large kidney stone. It's obviously not as large as a baby, but relatively speaking, it stretches things to the same painful extremes... or so they say. There's no way to compare, so no one will ever know. Natural childbirth is probably much more painful.

I've always had a high pain threshhold, personally. If I complain at all of discomfort, then you know it really hurts. I remember when my finger was inadvertently slammed in the door of a 1973 Dodge Charger a few years back (a huge car with doors weighing about 150 lbs each), and not making a peep. I just looked at my finger and thought, "Hmm. THAT was unpleasant." The fingernail turned black and fell off... all that good stuff.

Hey 99... if that's a hint that a baby's on the way soon... big congratulations.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Elionwyr
Coronation Incarnate

Re: Re: Ask the women

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami

I've heard that a man can experience this level of pain by passing a large kidney stone. It's obviously not as large as a baby, but relatively speaking, it stretches things to the same painful extremes... or so they say.
I *so* hate that analogy.
I passed two stones at once a few years ago, one from each kidney - yay, I had twins! - and the entire time I was in the hospital, I was begging for painkillers. A nurse commented to me, "Women can take more pain than men." I replied, "I can't. MEDICATE ME!"

My housemate passed a single stone a month later, and he was drugged immediately. Of course, he's also a much larger person than I am, so perhaps they were more afeared of his pain reactions, but still...I hold a grudge.

(And I really don't recommend the experience to anyone.)
Elionwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:38 AM   #11
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Re: Ask the women

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing But Net
I don't know what causes the most pain, but I can tell you that childbirth MUST be on the list of top 5. I would think, though, that the actual birth is just part of it. The labor leading up to it is excrutiating, IME.

When I had my little boy I experienced 15 hours of labor, all without pain meds or epidural. I did it this way for personal reasons, but it was moot. It wasn't until I was ready to deliver that I was told I needed to have a Caesarian. Of course, they pumped me full of drugs for the C Section and gave me a spinal block. After the birth I had spinal headaches for 2 weeks. Ugh.

Also, though a bit off topic, my son was born a couple hours after the WTC was attacked.

(I apologize in advance if that was too much information. )
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Re: Re: Re: Ask the women

Quote:
Originally posted by Elionwyr

I *so* hate that analogy.
I passed two stones at once a few years ago, one from each kidney - yay, I had twins! - and the entire time I was in the hospital, I was begging for painkillers. A nurse commented to me, "Women can take more pain than men." I replied, "I can't. MEDICATE ME!"
I don't know about kidney stones first hand, but my brother had one when he was 12, and based on his screams, he may as well have been having a baby. I can't imagine!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Labor with my son was disturbingly painful. I remember the feeling of total panic, and of trying to get away from my own body because it hurt so bad (much worse than the discomfort they discussed in the childbirth class. Bastards.). I think fear played a huge roll in that though, as I was in a hospital and surrounded by people I didn't want anywhere near me.
Labor with my daughter was a breeze thogh. I was totally relaxed, knew I wouldn't be going to a hospital, had instructed the midwives to leave me alone in advance - and actually napped between contractions until transition. I experienced more pain a few months later when I tripped over a toy and sprained my big toe. Seriously.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #14
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx
Labor with my son was disturbingly painful. I remember the feeling of total panic, and of trying to get away from my own body because it hurt so bad (much worse than the discomfort they discussed in the childbirth class. Bastards.). I think fear played a huge roll in that though, as I was in a hospital and surrounded by people I didn't want anywhere near me.
I can really relate to this. I bitterly remembered the books I had read about childbirth calling it "pressure." Pressure, my ass! That was fucking PAIN. Funny, the only way I could deal with it was by removing myself completely from reality. Unfortunately, since I had a trainee nurse taking care of me, I had to snap back into reality everytime she wanted to fiddle with the damned monitoring belts around my belly. I almost slugged her a couple of times.

Oh yeah, and perth was with me through it all, so he helped, too.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Ok, guys (males) get ready for a good one...

When I was on the boat (submarine to you landlubbers and surface sailors) the guy standing watch on the fathometer wimpered like a little girl and fell over unconscious.

What had happened was that his seminal tubules got twisted and, when the temperature regulation kicked in, one of the testicles went up and the other didn't.

SPROING, wimper, thud.