The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #496
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The view from the front of the property. Street level because I just stopped off on my way home, so I wasn't inside the flat.

The first photo shows what was previously The Saracen's Head, which was a gay pub.
All I hope is that the building doesn't re-open as a pub. Gay or not, it will stress Mum out because the room they've chosen to be their bedroom is at the front of the flat. She hates street noise, and there will be some if it's a licensed premises. There is another room they can use as a bedroom though. They've decided not to because it contains their only access to the garden, so if they have people to visit in the summer they don't want them traipsing through their bedroom.

Without the pub, the area will be very quiet at night. It is in the Town Centre but is not en route to any taxi rank, buses, trains or carparks.

In fact the other shot, which is only slightly to the right shows the Quaker Meeting House.
And I've sat there in the silence of a Friends' Meeting quite a few times.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 02-21-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #497
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The less flattering view down the hill.
You wouldn't refuse a property because of it, it's just not really in keeping with the Old Aylesbury vibe. Damned town planners.

And the more flattering view further up the hill.
See what I mean?
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #498
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Through the arch there is a garden gate, to which they have a key.
It has a bit of a Secret Garden vibe, because you wouldn't know it was there.

The garden is ENORMOUS and completely maintained for them.
There's a section of old masonry from St Mary's church at the far end, and a little portico. And it's only shared with the offices (which keep regular office hours) and one other flat. And it's plenty large enough to accommodate two large garden parties, should the 'rents ever take it into their heads to have one. Unlikely.

Neither of them enjoy gardening. They only do it out of a sense of duty, and to have an attractive place to sit. So this is perfect.

Of course I will get proper photos when they move in, this was taken with my camera sat on the wall!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 02-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #499
glatt

That looks very nice for them. Especially all the natural light.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #500
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Have you seen the 'Britain From Above' collection of aerial photos mostly from the 1930s and 40s, Cherry?

I've just had a quick look and whilst there doesn't appear to be any of the Rickford's Hill area, there are some of the Market Square and several very good views of Hazell's.

Britain From Above.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #501
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Oh, so nice!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #502
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Further to my post #500 above.

If you go to Historic photographs and click on 'Advanced Search', then enter 'Rickfords Hill' (no apostrophe) in the 'Place' field, you'll see a number of results which I hope will be of interest.

The site doesn't allow a link direct to the results page, unfortunately.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #503
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It's a pity that the photographer didn't stand a bit further back so the whole market could be seen in the context of the street scene.
Any better?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #504
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Any better?
Absolutely perfect!

In Sundae's post #58 in You, RFN 2014 we would be roughly in the spot where the lad is standing with his back to the camera.

I'm sure they presssure washed it first though
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #505
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, must have been very early in the day.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #506
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So, yesterday I left work and bumped into Carruthers eyeing up some birds.
Well, okay, we'd agreed to meet up, and in fact he was checking out the canal basin, so if there were any birds they were of the web-footed variety.

We headed across the road for a mid morning coffee.
Carr took my advice on which one to order, as he hasn't drunk coffee in years. Which will make Dani and Limey laugh as they know I don't really drink it either!
Carruthers was tempted by some breakfast, but I'd eaten earlier, so I declined and he decided against it too. Probably didn't want to drip egg yolk down his chin and have it reported back here

Carruthers is very easy to talk to, we spoke of string and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. You know, the usual Cellar stuff. He has been through many of the same family situations I have, and of course is local, so we have the same geography.

I rambled on too much, of course. Hopefully I didn't come across too odd. Bu if I did then maybe it's because I am. It's hardto tell sometimes. We certainly agreed that there's nothing new under the sun. And although the weather came up, it has been extraordinary recently. And we didn't talk about the telly at all, except in a very peripheral way. S that's proper grown up talking. Okay I talk telly with Dani all the time, but it's because we suggest things to each other, not because we both watch Holby City or anything equally dire.

I had a good time, and it was great not just to connect with someone from the Cellar, but also to talk to someone who I know understand what it's like to be an adult livingn with a family member(s) and dealing with some of the restrictions and liberation that leads to. Even if that rug is being tugged for me now.

Oh, Carr, Mum was right about that bread.
It was gorgeous. I had the leftovers for breakfast this morning. 04.30, but once I woke up I couldn't sleep in anticipation of another fun morning in Bakery...
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #507
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for that account, Cherry. Cellar writing at its best.

I also enjoyed our chat very much and the relaxed atmosphere that went with it. Thanks for your company.

Coffee v Tea. I am a dedicated tea man, but the trouble is, and I think many people will identify with this, is that no-one else can ever make a cup of tea just the way you like it, hence my electing to try a Latte or two.
I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and quality of the coffee you recommended. I might just change my allegiance…

By the way, I am flattered that you think I am easy to talk to.
The semblance of a blush has risen, unbidden, to my manly cheek.

All the best,

Carruthers
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #508
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry about the poor typing above, I was being slack and using my iPad, and I'm never quite as accurate as I am on a "proper" keyboard.
And I'm plenty inaccurate even on one.

So, off home to start putting dinner together.
Self deprecatory comments (aka whinging) in a later post.

Cooking the main made the house smell delish. Even Dads commented on it. I got us a pizza, because I wanted something I could bang in the oven and not have to worry about washing up (one oven tray). Colour him unimpressed. He had a measly token slice then claimed to be full. Still, we gorged on the leftovers as the courses came back.
Wait - getting ahead of myself.

I bought candle bags a while back because I saw them in Poundland I think.
I had a vague idea of giving a pack to my bro to bump up his Christmas present, or using them at Halloween or maybe when "the girls" came round. I achieved the last anyway. Weighed them down with powdered mortar. No idea why Dads had it, but I knew it was a given it would not be used by him again. Worked well.

Two views of the front path.
All the girls appreciated it and commented on it.
So they flipping well should - I set them out when it was barely twilight, 15 minutes before they were due to arrive. It was full dark bty the time they were all here. 18.00-18.30 means 19.05 apparently. Still, it was technically a one-pot meal, so nothing was spoiled. I'm just a punctuality-Nazi.

Note For Sale sign in garden
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #509
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Table set ready for action.
Detail. Yes, the chap on the camel was from eBay for 99p.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #510
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I posted before about looking up ways to fold paper napkins.
The instructions on how to fold one into a rose sent me fruitloop - I swear there was at least one stage missing. So I went with a classic fold that I already knew how to do with linen napkins, although I admit I did brush up on it online.

The main course made me disappoint.
I did sort of cobble it together, in that I had all the ingredients I could possibly need, but I was not following a set recipe and hadn't practised it, lamb being as expensive as it is.
So although it was very much Moroccan Lamb in flavour, it was quite wet, like some curries, as opposed to the drier, more tagine feel I'd hoped for.
Still, it went down very, very well and was complimented most highly. Mum and Dad are finishing off the leftovers as I type and as soon as they are finished I will go downstairs and finish it off myself.

I pat myself on the back for the flavour, because of course I taste as I go along, it was just the consistency I was dubious about.

Me in my uniform.
At this point I am wearing my hijab incorrectly.
I corrected it.
It's oddly liberating having all your hair covered up.
I do prefer to have the choice though.
Attached Images