The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

DC Area

I know some of you CellarDwellers are in the Washington D.C. area. I'm looking for good happy hours (don't make the obvious joke) and any other ideas you have for places to take someone on a casual date. Out of the ordinary things would be very cool.

Background:
Replied to a craigslist ad (stop laughing), we've been emailing back and forth for a couple weeks and I think we might meet up this week. Since I'm new around here, and a horrible date planner in general, I need ideas. Maybe she'll take the lead.

I was going to ask this in relationships, and it's premature (you can skip this obvious joke, too), but I'll just tack it on here: older woman (+6ish), younger man; bad idea?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Cloud

I'm really no one to respond on relationship advice, but here goes anyway, since I can never keep my mouth shut.
1) 6 years is nothing--ignore that.
2) Seems like there would be LOTS of things to do for a casual first date in the area. Good first date choices to me are where you DO something--like a museum or amusement park. If you just go to a restaurant you have to make awkward small talk about each other all the time. Drinking can be a problem, too, if you're nervous, don't know each others' tolerances, or that's all you have to focus on. So do something that gives you something else to focus on. Something other than a movie; because when you see a movie y ou get no chance to talk at all.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm with Cloud, 6 years is no big deal. Having the woman be the older partner is something I'm much less familiar with myself, but there's no reason it should matter.

As for dates, I'm no good with that. Most of my boyfriends were friends first, so we never did the whole "go out on a date" thing.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I agree with Cloud in regards to doing something that gives you something else to focus on, so no uncomfortable silences or awkward small talk.

Quietish bar with a band is a good thing? so long as you dont have to yell over the music.

The age thing.... I dont pay much attention to age, more attitude and where you are in life. There are some 36 yr olds that act like teenagers and are twats, and there are 24 yr olds that have it together better than most.

The thing that jumps out at me is... youre 24 in school, she's 30+?..thats all I know about her. But you are probably both in very different places in your life (thinking from a girlie perspective).

That said, you havent even been out on your first date, but obviously have been hitting it off well enough to want to take it further....so go for it and live in the moment!!

One of my friends is 35 and has been seeing a 27 year old for 2 years, they are great together because she is young for her age.

I've been in a few *younger* guy relationships and the age hasnt been an issue.

Woo Hoo - have fun and we want *discreet* details!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

What sort of places do you like, grant?

I think a casual and charming place for a date would be La Tomate at Connecticut Ave. and R St. (Dupont Circle neighborhood) Request a seat in the bar area, which is cafe-ish. Too bad it's not warmer out; they have a lovely patio.

There are several other nice, casual places right around there, too: Bistro au Coin, Sette, Thai Chef, Afterwords Cafe (attached to Kramerbooks bookstore, and has a separate little wine bar), just off the top of my head. If the date doesn't work out, you can drown your sorrows at Timberlake's bar, where my fiance used to bartend. Some floozy might pick you up, too.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
The thing that jumps out at me is... youre 24 in school, she's 30+?..thats all I know about her.
I graduated at the end of December and am (still) looking for a job. But I have plenty of money to spend on dates, not that that's a problem with the number of them I get.

She shares my off-kilter, non-sequitur sense of humor, she is a huge fan of a certain kind of beer, has a couple of tattoos, works with animals. That's about as specific as I think I'll get at the moment.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
What sort of places do you like, grant?
Anywhere outdoors, museums, book-stores, quiet cafes, laid-back bars.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

American History is a fairly lighthearted museum with lots of things that could spark conversation.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
American History is a fairly lighthearted museum with lots of things that could spark conversation.
That's a great idea, but I went and looked at the museum's website and they're closed until 2008! Really sucky.

I thought about the spy museum, and would like to see the zoo, but it's probably too cold...
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Ooh, if you go to the spy museum, there's a restaurant called Jaleo close by. Fun place, good tapas, and not outrageously expensive.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

my wife is 6 years older than me , we have been togather for 18+ years this march , so don't worry , have fun , see where it leads
Old 02-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If there's enough lead time, you could say, "Hey I'm new to this area, If you can think of anything you think I should see, maybe you could show me. I'd appreciate it if you'd think about it."

If you don't press for an immediate answer there's no pressure on her. If she comes up with something before the first date/meeting, you're golden. If she doesn't, then after the first date/meeting, it's an excuse to contact her or her to contact you. Think about it.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

again, thanks for all the great suggestions.

I think the spy museum would be cool if it's not too dark and dreary. And tapas are almost always amazing, they also let you drag things out for as long as you're enjoying yourself.

Time for bed...I'm pathetic, but in my defense I inadvertently woke up at 3 am this morning.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I graduated at the end of December and am (still) looking for a job. But I have plenty of money to spend on dates, not that that's a problem with the number of them I get.

She shares my off-kilter, non-sequitur sense of humor, she is a huge fan of a certain kind of beer, has a couple of tattoos, works with animals. That's about as specific as I think I'll get at the moment.
Sounds like you 2 will have a ball

Good Luck!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Give Madigan's a try. 210 Mill Street in Occoquan - 5 minutes from where you are. The menu is pretty good and its not too pricey. They have bands on some nights. Good food and good fun. I could go on forever about places in DC but I think its best to pick something close to where she lives for a first date.

If you tell me what part of DC your date is from I can give you some ideas close to where she lives. If she is from Bethesda, for example, I wouldn't drag her to Occoquan. At least until the 2nd date.