The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
Flint
Snowflake

There has to be some kind of noise!

Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's Ambient Music for Sleep was supposedly "developed over 15 years of clinical research" ...I like the way it sounds.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

When I do feel the need to have something play me to sleep, I have several drumming CDs and a couple environments CDs — wolves in a forest, two different thunderstorms, and waves at the beach.

Waves at the beach is the least successful.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
... I have several drumming CDs ...
Drumming is nice. The repetitive patterns are soothing, like a mantra. If my daughter is being fussy and not wanting to go to bed, I can hold her while I play the drums (lightly, with little bundles of dowel rods) and she goes right to nighty-night.

I've recently started experimenting with having a Terry Bozzio CD playing very low in her room at night. We also have a CD for babies with various types of white noise, such as vacuum cleaners and hair dryers.

I use drums, in a different way, to calm my mind down while I'm trying to get to sleep. I imagine playing the drums, visualizing it as well, sometimes I add a bass guitar, so I can play figures against an ostinato. I actually learn how to play new things this way (when I actually sit down at a drumset, my limbs already know how to play the pattern).
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
Cloud

kind of off topic, but I'd be interested in recommendations of some good drum cds to listen to
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I take personal offense to being awakened by snoring and have a tendency toward physical violence in these situations.

I sleep on my left side with a knee digging into my back. all night. i never move once.

actually, I can sleep wherever, whenever, within 3 minutes. wanna race? I'll pass out on yer ass.

but i snore like a big fat loud ass snoring jerk. come stay over sometime. you can sleep at the other end of the house. I'll still keep your ass awake.

The neighbor across the street gave me the finger this morning. fuck him.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #36
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I'm kinda p'ticular about my sleeping arrangements.

I finally found the perfect body pillow for my head, another one with a center support disc that goes between my knees, and a random pillow to go behind me.

I mostly sleep on my right side and ALWAYS on the left side of the bed.

I have my right arm under the pillow sticking straight out over the edge of the bed. My right leg is straight and the left is bent. I switch sides regularly, thus the need for the pillow behind me, as I cannot sleep without a pillow between my knees. My back begins to spasm and wakes me up, if I don't keep my spine straight.

I cannot sleep in total darkness or silence. My thoughts begin to race and tumble and the spots behind my eyelids drive me nuts. I sleep with the TV on all night, but the program can't be too interesting or too boring. If it's too boring (like an infomercial), it will piss my subconcious off and I'll wake up. If it's too interesting, it will keep my consious mind alert and I won't drift off. I've found that TNT programs like Law and Order and X-Files are perfect. Before I go to sleep, I actually go through the TV on-screen guide and pre-program my shows for the entire night until the morning news, to ensure maximum sleepability.

I need it to be cold. I have to have a quilt over me, covering my feet and up to my chin. It has to be tucked behind my back so no air can drift down my spine. I sleep in satin jammies or a t-shirt now that I have children. It used to be nekkid.

If I wake up during the night, I cannot go back to sleep unless I have a drag off a cig. I have to go out on the porch in the dead of night, light up for one drag, then head back to bed.

I have three alarms which I rotate. They all have different sounds because I become immune to the current one and eventually it stops waking me up.

I used to function great on 4-5 hours sleep a night, now I need a minimum of 7. Getting old, I guess.

I love having my 2yr old curled up next to me, but not my partner. He is a hotwater heater and sweats a lot, makes me itchy and uncomfortable.

If I lie down for a nap, I don't need a wakeup call. I automatically wake up after 1 hour, on the nose (as long as the kids are quiet enough for me to fall asleep).
Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #37
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

I drowse more than I actually sleep - I'm in an eternal search for the coolest side of the pillow.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #38
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Shittly, unless my coma is drug induced.

I take a mixture of drugs and rotate them out so that I dont get immune to them.

I sleep on my stomach in a cold bedroom with the fan on, I have to have noise. The kids wake me up when they cough, but the drugs let me fall back asleep.

Often I wake up in the early hours and just think and think and think....it drives me nuts.

I only need 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep to function, but usually average 6
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #39
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

lol@ lj

I sleep very well thank you.

I do tend to wake at 6am even if I don't get to sleep until 12 or so and that is sometimes annoying.

My average is 6 hours too ducks. I like 8.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #40
Thesilkmeister
Redheads do it better...

i am a dysfunctional sleeper........

i used to have great trouble getting to sleep, and i still do but it's getting better. I could be dead tired from sport or work or whatever but i have an inability to turn my brain off so will lay there awake until my noggin winds down. When i was 19-23 this was a nightmare. I would go to bed at 9.30 and get up at 6.30 and only have 4-5 hours sleep. Concequently i would fall asleep at my desk, i would sneak off to the toilets for a nap, or i would tell my boss that i was going for a nap and sleep out the back warehouse on the floor on my lunchbreak. Thank fuck this is getting better and that only happens once a week or so now.

I love powernaps too. I can be stuffed and barely functioning i'm so tired, but if i have a 5 min powernap im good to go again. Love 'em.

Aside from that im a prety good sleeper. Sleep on my sdie and turn over a few times a night. If i have nothing on the next day (or if the wife is working on the weekend) then i am known to sleep until 2.30 or 3pm with no trouble.

However my wife is a freak who has a resting body temperature that is very close to the surface of the sun, she also likes to talk.......and i mean TALK, in her sleep. Giggles, yells, she even calls the frigging dogs up onto the bed in her sleep! This is done on a nightly basis so some nights in my household can be interesting. She moves around a lot as well, throws arms and legs all over the place. I often find myself sleeping as close to the edge of our bed as can be as she has taken over. Now she's pregnant and got one of those big body pillow things she has pretty much claimed the whole bed as her domain......

......damn those doggy beds sure look comfy.......
Thesilkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #41
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Spare Room Silk, spare room!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #42
Thesilkmeister
Redheads do it better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Spare Room Silk, spare room!!
we're moving house shortly so there spare bedrooms full of crap - but don't worry i've already thought of it.

she wonders why i stay up late on the weekend watching TV - i get a better sleep on the couch then i do in bed!
Thesilkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote