The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #211
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
will it involve kool-aid? if so, count me in.
Yes, but the dress code requires you wear Nike shoes and sweats.

And I'd be amazed if Cairo could spell calculus let along actually do any. I did several levels of engineering calculus in high school and college and it's not easy.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #212
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
Yes, but the dress code requires you wear Nike shoes and sweats.
damn, no nikes. i dont suppose it would be acceptable to scribble a 'swoosh' onto my grubby hiking boots, would it?

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:19 PM   #213
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Fuck that...I only rock Adidas. And the Kool-Aid would have to be Berry Blue.

I took Calculus my senior year of high school and got a C. Took it again during freshman year of college and got an A. When I found out I would have to take Calc 2 and 3 for my major du jour (Chemistry), I quickly switched to Biology, and have only taken one pseudo-math class since (Psychological Statistics).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #214
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Whaddaya talkin about? Math kicks ass! After you get past calculus, nothing's left but the good stuff.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #215
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by blowmeetheclown
Whaddaya talkin about? Math kicks ass! After you get past calculus, nothing's left but the good stuff.
I agree! Math *does* kick ass. Kicks my ass every time I try to do anything beyond simple multiplication...
Old 01-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #216
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally posted by Cairo

Penn State has athletic prestige, not academics.
So, they care more about making the athletic grade, same with UT and Texas A&M here in Texas.
Being a graduate of Pennsylvania State University, I must beg to differ with you on this one. Yes, PSU has a large athletic program, however, there are a number of non-athletic programs that are academically minded.

Granted, not everyone who goes to Penn State is MENSA material, and I'd agree that there are a handful of students that sat in my classes making me wonder how they got there. (I wondered that about myself when I was struggling with a few of my projects..)

However, Penn State is not a 'jock' school. Athletics are important, yes, but they are not the end all be all of the programs that are on numerous local campuses and at the State College campus as well.

I think it would be easier to stomach the comment that PSU is merely an athletic institution if Hershey Med wasn't around, if some fairly involved research were moved to ohhh let's say Pitt, or if there wasn't a move towards innovation and improvement on each campus.

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote