The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
rkzenrage

Soldier Funeral Protest

This is just wrong no matter what side you are on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G470rfJQCI
Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm really surprised Roper hasn't been hurt by now.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
NoBoxes

The person interviewed, in the link you provided, is just plain nuts (i.e. brainwashed beyond redemption) and doesn't pose any real threat. Forget about that one.

Some others who engage in disrupting funerals are Stockholm Syndrome victims. They are sick. War (generally) and terrorism (especially) scares them so badly that they will engage in any conduct, including psychologically aiding and abetting the enemy, which they believe may somehow eventually save their own skins.

Many of those who engage in this untoward behavior believe that if they deny the fallen soldiers a hero's funeral; or, martyrdom, they will suceed in discouraging others from fighting for a cause. They are misguided, they are out of date, war is no longer glamorous to us as it is to our enemy. Studies show that soldiers fight and sacrifice their lives for other reasons.

Some seek retaliation against those whom they think are responsible for their own life's difficulties. They are cowards. They know the dead soldiers can no longer speak for themselves.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going; but, the weak get brainwashed, sick, misguided, and cowardly. We probably have more weak willed citizens now than at anytime in our history. The rest of us just have to pass new laws to contain them as they find new ways to disgust us. Those who are conscientious objectors and reputable citizens will find more respectable ways to make their positions known.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

This is a very straightforward con. All the religious crap is window dressing. They protest any event where they can antagonize someone into physically hitting them. Then they sue. Their group is alway juggling several lawsuits at the same time, and this is how they make their money. Wouldn't be surprised if they were actually all Roma
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

This is not a con. And it's not about the military. The Westboro Baptist Church, led by Fred Phelps is a pseudo-religious anti-gay basketcase.

They've been picketing the funerals of gays since 1998. Doesn't matter what walk of life you come from, if you are gay, you are a target for their hatred.
They run a website based on the notion that 'God Hates Fags'. Gay-bashing seems to be their whole lives.How sad. If there is a God, I can't imagine that he'd be as intolerant and lacking in human decency as these whackos.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
This is not a con. And it's not about the military. The Westboro Baptist Church, led by Fred Phelps is a pseudo-religious anti-gay basketcase.

They've been picketing the funerals of gays since 1998. Doesn't matter what walk of life you come from, if you are gay, you are a target for their hatred.
They run a website based on the notion that 'God Hates Fags'. Gay-bashing seems to be their whole lives.How sad. If there is a God, I can't imagine that he'd be as intolerant and lacking in human decency as these whackos.
Um, sorry, but yeah, it is a congame, and a fairly lucrative one. They are all performers, and they play their parts very effectively. What they do is horrible, of course, but it is not real in the sense that they actually believe the stuff they spew. They are just in it for the money.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Hey Fred, good to know.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

coming from lawrence kansas.. a scant 24 miles from phelps.. gotta tell you these whack jobs do more than protest at funerals, they hit anything and everything they don't like or consider to be morally right, I don't know how many plays and music events they have been at, the thing is that it's not a con as far as I can tell, although it is awfully lucrative. and for the record they have been at it longer than '98 that's just when they started getting more national attention for it, and the thing that actually bothers me... (well, the whole thing that bothers me) they protested a friend of mines funeral back in 92' when he died of aids, and have been at it ever since, but it got no real press until phelpsco. started picketing the war dead, and yes it's bullshit. but it's not like this is something new.. gotta say though one of these days someone is going to take his sick ass out.. (heh, I've known a couple of pissed off lesbians who have actually tried to run him over, and afterwards if you'll notice he started shielding himself behind children.. sick fuck) then again it'll put him into some sort of martyr situation. oh and by the by if you're in Kansas and are of the crafty persuasion, hate to say it.. but hobby lobby is a huge financial suporter of the westboro baptist church, may not really make any difference.. but they don't get my money anymore.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well said, NoBoxes. There are persons of that weakness of will here in the Cellar, trying as best they might to persuade the rest of us that their weakness is the path of virtue. They've felt the lash of my displeasure more than once, and they shall continue to suffer until they get their minds right, and there's no more failure to communicate. Or until they depart, taking their noxious, antifreedom, antihuman, pro-oppressor attitudes with them.

In a war, it's dead enemies that saves your skin.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I just hope you don't depart as you're always good for a laugh. It relieves the tension of serious discussions.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

that bitch needs to be serious sodemised
Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

One of these uglies just showed up on tonight's Hannity & Colmes. Within two sentences out of her mouth I was yelling at the television screen. What a devil's spawn.

Now if a couple of their heads were split open with halberds next time they pull one of their pro-fascist demonstrations they might adopt the path of wisdom instead of the hellroad they currently are speeding along.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

killing a few of them would certainly make them think twice about whether what they are doing is right or not. they say people dying is what god planned. send them a message that god wants them dead
Old 05-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
by if you're in Kansas and are of the crafty persuasion, hate to say it.. but hobby lobby is a huge financial suporter of the westboro baptist church, may not really make any difference.. but they don't get my money anymore.
Well, someone should hold up a 'sponsored by' sign at the next one of his tirades and let them get the credit they deserve.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
rkzenrage

As a pacifist who was not always this way these kind of things have an odd effect on me.
I feel pity and love for them.
However, there is still the ghost of the "old me" rattling its cage as he is still in there, and I deal with him at my leisure. I am at that point on my Path and it took me a long time. My impulse not is compassion, not my old impulse and then damage control... usually, of course, I am working, it is a path. But, I digress.
Conversing with my older self on this and I laughed a lot, made several unsettling points.
Quote:
killing a few of them would certainly make them think twice about whether what they are doing is right or not. they say people dying is what god planned. send them a message that god wants them dead
No, it would martyr them and create an extremely violent, terrorist right-wing fanatic, anti-gay movement. Something that is brewing now, this would be the perfect match on the fuse.
Quote:
This is a very straightforward con. All the religious crap is window dressing. They protest any event where they can antagonize someone into physically hitting them. Then they sue. Their group is alway juggling several lawsuits at the same time, and this is how they make their money. Wouldn't be surprised if they were actually all Roma
Why would someone hit them.... a couple of tennis-balls, some PVC, duct tape, a drill and a decent 303 and they would never hear the shot coming from a quarter of a mile away at best... with the tennis-ball silencer you could do it from the Chuch parking-lot and no one would hear it. Just take one out at each event... not a slaughter to start the martyr syndrome.
Just one... each time. Sometimes wounding one in a terrible place, take their voice, ability to walk, see... something good. Then, leave a note on the spot a week later, something cryptic like "You should have started with King James" and a rainbow bullet.
Ohhhh.... now you got me wanting to write a new screenplay and I can't finish the one I'm working on now.

Every now and again you buy them pizza or something to drink while they are waiting ... like it is from a fan... then, rig it so the rainbow bullet shows up after they partake for a while.... aaaarrrrgggghhhh must stopppppp