The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promenea
What fascinated me in the original article is that the temps were higher than they calculated possible with the amount of matter within the test chamber. One guy said something to the effect that there must have been more matter than they could account for. If so, where'd it come from? Anyone missing some socks or small animals?
Dark matter? Anti-matter? Some parallel dimensions?

Quote:
So all the sparky bits are just a side-effect of the real thing going on in the center.
Is that how all the electronics get knocked out in a nuclear attack?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #17
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

pshopped

I just set this image as one of my background images a few days ago, and I noticed after staring at it for a while that part of it was (poorly) photoshopped. If you look at the lower right corner you can see that something got in the way and had to be rubber stamped.

Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Could I get one of these for LR ceiling?

I can't see the 'shop. I looked hard. Rubber stamped? What does that mean? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slight
I just set this image as one of my background images a few days ago, and I noticed after staring at it for a while that part of it was (poorly) photoshopped. If you look at the lower right corner you can see that something got in the way and had to be rubber stamped.

I don't see it in the 1.66 meg version, but I'm hardly an expert. Actually I'm hardly an amateur.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...sandia_big.jpg
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #20
bluraven
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slight

Poorly? I didn't even notice it untill you pointed that out. Hehe.
bluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM   #21
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

im guessing it has something to do with people trying to recreate it from the photo maybe?
like how google earth has the american congress building blurred. some kind of safety reasons?
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 AM   #22
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I can't see the 'shop. I looked hard. Rubber stamped? What does that mean? Pardon my ignorance.
The rubber stamp or clone tool is when you use data from another part of the photo, or from another photo to cover up something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I don't see it in the 1.66 meg version, but I'm hardly an expert. Actually I'm hardly an amateur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluraven
Poorly? I didn't even notice it untill you pointed that out. Hehe.
Ok, I guess its not that poorly done if I didn't even notice it right away. I say its poorly done because I eventially found it. A good photoshop job leaves you wondering if its real or not, with no hard evidence. You can tell it was rubber stamped because there are repeating patterns. The reason this one popped out at me is because electrostatic discharges appear organic and continuous, but at the very bottom on the right side you can see unconnected discharges. I have to grant that whoever did this, worked hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagen4o4
im guessing it has something to do with people trying to recreate it from the photo maybe?
like how google earth has the american congress building blurred. some kind of safety reasons?
I thought so too. But after looking at it again for you guys, I noticed that the photoshop was probably done to stitch two photos together along the edge of the main photo; probably due to the cutoff you get from a fisheye lens. This is evidenced by the upper right corner being all black which it shouldn't be if compared to the exposure in the upper left. And if you look very closely at the upper right ceiling, the roof trusses don't line up.

enough analysis
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #23
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

by looking at that picture it looks like there may just have been something in the way that made the photo crap and therefore not APoD worthy. like the cord on some cameras or just a pole or sumfin
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #24
AureliusVin
Expectorant Inspector

Okay, maybe I missed this, but is there a practical reason or advantage to be gained from creating a temperature of this magnitude? Or is this just another example of the U.S. telling eveyone, "We have a lot of money and we are putting it to good use."
AureliusVin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Is this the same technology that's part of that mind control harp array or whatever Art Bell was talking about last year?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusVin
Okay, maybe I missed this, but is there a practical reason or advantage to be gained from creating a temperature of this magnitude? Or is this just another example of the U.S. telling eveyone, "We have a lot of money and we are putting it to good use."
I don't know, but my guess is that it's a step toward fusion power.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think you have to be a member of Physicists Club for Nerds before you know for sure *why* they're doing this, although I, too, suspect that it is related to fusion research. Matter behaves strangely at high energies, and there are probably a lot of efforts going on to encourage that sort of thing for purposes of pure research into high energy physics.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally designed to supply 50 terawatts of power in one fast pulse, technological advances allowed this to increase to 290 terawatts, enough to study nuclear fusion.
Ding Ding Ding, give those men cigars.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #29
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Is this the same technology that's part of that mind control harp array or whatever Art Bell was talking about last year?
Submitted for your approval
Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #30
jojo
is anyone home?

yeesh. i like to tell myself that everyone is good, our government doesn't do scary things, michael jackson was telling the truth, blah, blah, blah, just to have the world make sense.
but then super-secret tundra crossing lines turn up and damn, i gotta soothe myself with some more happy talk...

seriously, though, how come the brightest idea i've ever come up with is adding pepper to my mac & cheese. the distribution of intelligence in this world is just not fair - i wanna be smart too
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote