The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #676
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

So is claiming that 88.8% of the USA's population owns guns and that number is what is reducing crime in America compared to Great Britain. So is not owning up to the different ways the governments in both countries report crime. If Grav's site source has its base statistic wrong, how can anything else it is saying have any real merit?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Pico and ME; 01-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #677
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
In the US – population 311.5 million (1) – there were an estimated 13,756 murders in 2009 (2), a rate of about 5.0 per 100,000 (3). Of these 9,203 were carried out with a firearm.

In the UK – population 56.1 million (4) – there were an estimated 550 murders in 2011-12 (5), a rate of about 1.4 per 100,000. Of these 39 were carried out with a firearm (6).
From here:
http://fleshisgrass.wordpress.com/20...eapon-updated/

Yes. The years of measurement are different, but I think the numbers tell the story.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #678
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

My point was that in the article quoted, the author was dishonest in taking statistics and pulling data out of them in order to change the results to what he wanted. I didn't comment on anything else.

I don't care what the politics of an author are; I do care whether the numbers are honestly reported and correct. I realize that both sides manipulate numbers, but I was only commenting on the article at hand. This author was dishonest. Admittedly, he was upfront about his dishonesty.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #679
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Otho, i'm sorry, I wasnt really responding to you, I was just piggybacking off your post so that I could add my two cents about Grav's previous post.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #680
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Sorry, I didn't mean to be testy ... I normally stay out of this thread.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #681
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
If anyone is really interested they can go to CDC's website and look up stats for deaths by all causes.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #682
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

If guns are the issue themselves why are the streets of Canada not running red with blood as the streets of the US are ?

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #683
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That would be liquid littering which is rude and un-Canadian.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #684
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

If violent movies and video games are the issue themselves why are the streets of Canada not running red with blood as the streets of the US are ?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #685
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-8463957.html

Quote:
Figures out next month are expected to confirm the long-term decline in gun crime which resulted in 39 people shot dead in 2011/12 compared with a high of 96 ten years earlier.

SNIP

But improved intelligence-led operations, poor quality guns and munitions, better community links to divert gang activity, and improved surgery for gunshot victims have all contributed to reduced deaths from gun violence, according to experts and police.

A comparative shortage of guns in circulation has triggered a price spike in the underworld firearms market, according to detectives.
More at the link.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #686
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Our most basic right is the vote. The vote is limited - one vote per person per election, must be a citizen, must be registered to vote, citizens in prison can't vote, must be 18 or older to vote, etc. Why is that we can limit voting rights, but not gun rights?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #687
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Guns certainly won't be killing people in my house.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #688
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

what happened foot? Did she sneak them out??

I'm so sorry for what is going on with you right now...I don't pretend to know what it is but I know you're hurting and I'm truly sorry.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #689
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
what happened foot? Did she sneak them out??

I'm so sorry for what is going on with you right now...I don't pretend to know what it is but I know you're hurting and I'm truly sorry.
I guess so. Thanks. I know it will be over by summer. The key is to keep things amicable as long as the kids are minors.

happy place...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #690
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

ugh.

I don't know what to say that doesn't sound---platitudinous...maybe you could smash some dishes?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote