The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #3541
casimendocina
Professor

The fact that I am misappropriating my time so exponentially when I have an assignment due next Thursday which I have barely started. I'm sure it won't be that hard, but it will be time-consuming so I HAVE TO get on to it SOON.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #3542
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
but first, I'll check the cellar
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #3543
monster
I hear them call the tide

hmmm yeah, I was just checking my email (90 minutes ago) and wasn't going to check the cellar until after I got the laundry going....... I blame infi.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #3544
SamIam

I'm scared to check my mail. I haven't looked at it for about a week. Gawd only knows what has spawned in cyberspace and taken up residence, hiding somewhere in my spam list.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #3545
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
but first, I'll check the cellar
I've just had a fairly solid go at about half of the quizzes and got them about 95% wrong...I'm meant to call the course co-ordinators tomorrow to sort out any issues, but when getting it right is based on 6 billion rules which I still haven't got my head around, any question aside from "explain everything" and "oh, can you change the assignment to multiple choice with a function that allows me to keep on ticking checkboxes until correct flashes up" is going to be next to useless (well for me)
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #3546
monster

casi, what is it that you do, exactly? Something to do with languages, travel and an aussie uni is about all I've gleaned....
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #3547
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

and that last bit sounds like she is writing test taking software
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #3548
casimendocina
Professor

Standard answer to this question of what I'm doing at the moment goes like this:

Every year the Australian Government grants 300 scholarships to Indonesians so that they can do their Masters and PhDs in Australia (they've upped the number slightly this year). As a condition of being granted a student visa, the candidates need to get a particular score in an English language test and depending on their language level when they are accepted, they need to attend 6 or 8 weeks or 3, 6 or 9 months of pre-departure language/cross-cultural training so that they're able to cope with the Australian university environment on arrival. So at the moment, I'm teaching the first 3 months of the pre-departure language training for a group of students on a 6 month program. Aside from that, the place that I work at also offers preparation courses for the language test in question. Seeing that it's mostly Australian tax dollars that pay my salary, I am officially a public servant (if I remember correctly I signed that I would abide by the law relating to the transportation of plutonium WTF...hmmm actually not so bizarre-more emails from the embassy today regarding the "level of danger"), so part of my contract for this job specifies that I must be doing some kind of study. Sometime last century, straight after I finished my undergraduate degree, I started a Library and Info Management Grad Dip which I only did 3/4 of. I thought that if I had to study, I may as well finish something I'd already started, so that's what I'm up to at the moment. The current subject is cataloguing using MARC21 which involves a whole of knowing where to put $ and # and various bits of punctuation. Yesterday before leaving work I printed off the MARC standards which lists every single consideration that needs to be taken into account when cataloguing-86 pages. In theory, it's all quite straight forward, but you have to work out which rule is applicable to which piece of information.

The pep talk the course co-ordinators gave us via the web was that it was like learning a new language so it required practice...fair enough...doesn't particularly increase my enthusiasm for it though.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #3549
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #3550
monster

Oh it doesn't sound like fun, but at least should be doable. All the best with it. We will always need libraria/ info management people. well at least until 6pm tomorrow. Which is in a couple of hours for you, right?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #3551
casimendocina
Professor

Thanks. I have a full free weekend ahead of me with no work committments so am going to start working on it again...right after I've caught up on all the posts that interest me.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #3552
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Cant sign on to YouTube. I registered a few years ago and cant remember my password, of course. And even though it keeps telling me I already have an account, it doesn't recognize either of my email accounts. I'm stuck.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #3553
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

In one of those weird coincidences that the small city of Adelaide is famous for, quite a few of those students Casi is currently teaching will arrive at my university where they will have a four week academic orientation program, part of which will be taught by ... yours truly.

Hey, this gives me an idea for a smuggling ring. Hmmmmm...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #3554
casimendocina
Professor

Zen mate, I noticed yesterday that your uni was on the news yesterday.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #3555
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Only the finance department. C'mon, isn't it normal to take a year to notice that someone has nicked $27,000,000?

Tags
mild cheddar