The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #451
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
... Jesus christ it's unbearable. The world should end. ...
People who can even think like this should be banned for life from ever owning a gun.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #452
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

You know what? I don't give a shit about guns or knives or bats. I want these types of killings to stop. I want violence to stop. How do we do that?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #453
Ibby
erika

Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #454
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I have been greatly disturbed by this incident because they were children and Addie is 5 yoa. The only thing we can do now is believe these innocent lambs are in a better place. At least that is what I keep telling myself......

Gun control probably would not have prevented this. Take away all the guns and then you'll start seeing SVIEDs (suicide vests) or SVBIEDs (suicide vehicle borne improvised explosive device). If a nut job plans on killing a bunch of people, there are a lot better options than a gun. You can do a lot of damage by driving a car or a large truck through a crowd. Should we ban all vehicles because they kill more people than guns every year?

Mental illness is the key. We must do a better job in identifying these people before they can harm themselves or others. In my state, they have been slashing the mental health budget. Most of our regional crisis centers have been closed and even one of the state (mental) hospitals. One last shout from my soap box, I truly feel that violence on TV, graphic video games, etc. have desensitized the younger generations.

Now I will prepare to be stoned for my thoughts.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #455
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Last Friday there was a similar incident in China - an effed up individual attacked children at an elementary school.

He didn't have a gun, so he used a knife.

22 children were "slashed" but as far as I can tell, none were killed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-1...-china/4428958
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #456
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Such a tragedy. I woke up to this news today and still have been trying to process it. It's almost inconceivable, except it's not.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #457
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Mental illness is the key. We must do a better job in identifying these people before they can harm themselves or others. In my state, they have been slashing the mental health budget. Most of our regional crisis centers have been closed and even one of the state (mental) hospitals. s.
I heartily agree with you there Sarge. Mental health centers/crisis centers are a fucking joke in my state. They are staffed by the most burned out, underpaid, overworked zombies you'd ever care to see. Working with the mentally ill takes a toll on a person and burn out is about five years---similar to ED workers. Add slashed budgets, stale salaries, working thru lunch, holding your bladder b/c you MUST admit one more person before you go; and hostile, over burdened workers who cannot support you emotionally, an indifferent or even evil management "team" (there's usually 5 "managers" and 1 RN for every 7 patients) and insurance co. who don't want to pay a single dollar for mental health care in this country...yeah, a LOT of somebodies slip thru the cracks. All these shooters gave clues to what they were going to do or thinking of doing. Everybody always says the same thing: I thought he was kidding. I was taught that if someone says they are going to kill themselves or another you take them VERY seriously.

I hadn't heard he'd killed one of his brothers..? He has a bro named Ryan who's been constantly interrogated since the shooting but that's all I've heard on the sibling front.

boy had mommy issues------that's pretty clear. I've also heard that he was 20 and then 24. I hope to get some good information today. It's all been so speculative. And those babies who were killed-----IIRC, they are still lying where they were shot as they process the scene. I cannot begin to imagine that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #458
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
The only thing we can do now is believe these innocent lambs are in a better place.
No it's not. We can
Quote:
do a better job in identifying these people before they can harm themselves or others.

Quote:
In my state, they
Tell it like it is: The REPUBLICANS
Quote:
have been slashing the mental health budget. Most of our regional crisis centers have been closed and even one of the state (mental) hospitals.

Quote:
Now I will prepare to be stoned for my thoughts.
Pass the doobie.

Seriously, what are you willing to sacrifice to ensure that this doesn't happen to Addie?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #459
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I guess one question is 'What is the gun designed for?'. Someone with a bolt action rifle is not going to be able to quickly kill two dozen people. What is really needed for hunting, target shooting, home defense? Who uses a 30 round clip to hunt deer?

One problem is the lethality of weapons. If someone wanted to build and own a low yield nuclear device, then told their neighbors that it was perfectly safe and protected by the second amendment, the response would be obvious. Because the lethality of the device directly impacted those neighbors, including the threat of it's misuse. By the same token, a concealed knife or openly worn sword is also lethal, but limited in their ability to inflict mass damage. A semi-automatic firearm, however, is capable of inflicting great harm, even assuming the assailant could be overpowered.

A lot of arguments about the Constitution revolve around the intent of the founding fathers. The personal weapon technology of the time was the flintlock rifle and pistol. Imagine any of the recent mass shootings being committed by someone armed with a flintlock.

Our founding fathers did not have to consider 20th century weapon technology when they considered the 2nd amendment, other than to imply the intent being a well regulated militia. This presumes weapons training and weeding out of unsuitable candidates. Show them a clip of the fire rate of a semiautomatic pistol and those requirements would have been a lot tighter and more explicit.

Switzerland allows honorably discharged veterans to retain carry permits for weapons. You don't see many mass murders in Switzerland. Of course American culture is considered to be too violent by most industrialized nations.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #460
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

This may ruffle some feathers but if gun policy is going to be discussed, I think it is extremely important that we look at the issue from multiple perspectives. It does the country harm if the narrative is controlled by people who only look at the issue as black in white.

The truth is, a gun saturated population can prevent crime and murder along with increasing crime and murder at the same time. It largely depends on the decisions made by the person holding the weapon, which varies greatly culture to culture, person to person, and even at different times with the same person.

Jeffrey Goldberg recently wrote an article in the Atlantic about how we need more gun regulation while not preventing responsible gun owners from possessing guns. I don't agree with everything but the pragmatic viewpoint is refreshing. Here is his response to the massacre in Newton along with a link to the article.

Quote:
The massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, has caused many people, including people at the White House, to say that this is not the day to talk about gun policy. This day is obviously for mourning the dead, but I don't understand why we shouldn't talk about the conditions that lead to these sorts of shootings. I wrote about this issue in the current issue of The Atlantic (you can read the story here), and I want to quickly make a few points drawn from that longer article.

1) This is a gun country. We are saturated with guns. There are as many as 300 million guns in circulation today (the majority owned legally, but many not) and more than 4 million new guns come onto the market each year. To talk about eradicating guns, especially given what the Supreme Court has said about the individual right to gun-ownership, is futile.

2) There are, however, some gun control laws that could be strengthened. The so-called gun-show loophole (which is not a loophole at all -- 40 percent of all guns sold in America legally are sold without benefit of a federal background check) should be closed. Background checks are no panacea -- many of our country's recent mass-shooters had no previous criminal records, and had not been previously adjudicated mentally ill -- but they would certainly stop some people from buying weapons.

3) We must find a way to make it more difficult for the non-adjudicated mentally ill to come into possession of weapons. This is crucially important, but very difficult, because it would require the cooperation of the medical community -- of psychiatrists, therapists, school counselors and the like -- and the privacy issues (among other issues) are enormous. But: It has to be made more difficult for sociopaths, psychopaths and the otherwise violently mentally-ill (who, in total, make up a small portion of the mentally ill population) to buy weapons.

4) People should have the ability to defend themselves. Mass shootings take many lives in part because no one is firing back at the shooters. The shooters in recent massacres have had many minutes to complete their evil work, while their victims cower under desks or in closets. One response to the tragic reality that we are a gun-saturated country is to understand that law-abiding, well-trained, non-criminal, wholly sane citizens who are screened by the government have a role to play in their own self-defense, and in the defense of others (read The Atlantic article to see how one armed school administrator stopped a mass shooting in Pearl Mississippi). I don't know anything more than anyone else about the shooting in Connecticut at the moment, but it seems fairly obvious that there was no one at or near the school who could have tried to fight back.

5) All of this is tragic. As I wrote in The Atlantic, Canada, which has a low-rate of gun ownership and strict gun laws, seems like a pretty nice place sometimes.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...sacres/266300/

Full article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ontrol/309161/

Last edited by piercehawkeye45; 12-15-2012 at 01:32 PM.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #461
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
snip... we need more gun regulation while minimizing the ability of responsible gun owners to possess guns. snip
Was that a typo?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #462
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Yes. Yes it was. Thank you.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #463
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I would have overlooked a normal typo but that one had a big impact on what you were trying to say.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #464
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Seriously, what are you willing to sacrifice to ensure that this doesn't happen to Addie?
Our Constitutional Rights are sacred. Think how many have fought and died for these rights. I'm willing to keep our right to bear arms, even if it did endanger my precious angel. We need to start putting our country and constitution first. To be a free country, you often have to pay a price
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #465
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I think gun ownership should be more difficult to achieve. Not impossible, except for automatic/semi-automatic weapons, just more carefully controlled. I think a permit and complete background checks should be required of all permit holders. It should be revoked in the event of domestic violence, mental illness, or any felony crime. If accused of a crime, all guns should be confiscated, to be returned if found not guilty/charges dropped. It should be required that all weapons be secured and accessible only to the permit holder(s).

If you fuck up, you lose your guns.

We lose our jobs, cars, drivers licenses, children and spouses for fucking up, we should also lose our guns.

And mental illness should be an automatic block to owning a weapon. Sorry if that feels too harsh, but shit..you can't be a police officer or judge or teacher or daycare provider if you have a documented mental illness, and you should not be allowed contact with a gun either.

The permit should be required to be renewed periodically, and another full background check (including mental health records) should be done. A registry of all licensed gun owners and the weapons registered to them would be kept. Longer sentences for illegally possessing a weapon should occur.

I say this as a gun owner, and one whose (adult) son has a concealed permit and is an active enthusiast. I have nothing against guns, but they are too easy to get and their possession is too unregulated. We pay less attention to guns than we do to cars!!

f you are a responsible adult, you should have no problem obtaining a permit and retaining it any more than you would a driver's license.