Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #46
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful_Stranger
As I said, it really had ceased working anyway...Barbara
FLW--

Famous Last Words.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #47
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

It is entirely possible that the brain jolts are artifacts of your neurochemistry trying to make do with the lower amount of serotonin available. I get dizzy and "zaps" when I miss a single day's dose, and if I go for two days, I'm not really very functional.

Most SRI's and other neuromeds require a slow taper to allow the body to adjust to the alteration in function caused by the lower med doses. I'd see my doc, seriously. Brain zaps ain't normal. Also, one of the most frequent things heard by head docs is "I don't need this stuff anymore". People who get to feeling better while on meds tend to think that they are now fine, and stop taking the stuff. This is pretty much counterintuitive and is a false impression. Usually, they're better *because* they're taking the drugs...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #48
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

mmmmm... Ga., eh......

welcome, B.S..... we need all the help we can get.

* wonders why I have hangover even tho I didn't attend the 'Redneck Games'. *
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #49
Beautiful_Stranger
(Barbara..smiles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
It is entirely possible that the brain jolts are artifacts of your neurochemistry trying to make do with the lower amount of serotonin available. I get dizzy and "zaps" when I miss a single day's dose, and if I go for two days, I'm not really very functional.

Most SRI's and other neuromeds require a slow taper to allow the body to adjust to the alteration in function caused by the lower med doses. I'd see my doc, seriously. Brain zaps ain't normal. Also, one of the most frequent things heard by head docs is "I don't need this stuff anymore". People who get to feeling better while on meds tend to think that they are now fine, and stop taking the stuff. This is pretty much counterintuitive and is a false impression. Usually, they're better *because* they're taking the drugs...
Dear Elspode;

Yes...that explanation makes great sense. No, brain zaps aren't normal but they certainly seem symptomatic of Lexapro withdrawal, as you yourself have experienced missing only a pill or two. I myself have never been to a "head doc;" but I spoke to my GP (who prescribed the medication for me) today and he said the withdrawal symptoms should let up in a few weeks.

I personally was not a danger to anyone and/or non-functional prior to my doctor's Lexapro recommendation. One thing that we must remember is that, should anyone decide to quit taking this antidepresant (and we're not - I'M not - talking about anti-psychotics here), returning to medication is always an option. My guess is that, knowing who I am and my strong survival instincts, my physician trusts that I will come to him once again if I come to find that the cessation of my daily Lexapro was a mistake.

Thank you for your explanation and your encouragement. Have a super day !

Barbara
Beautiful_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #50
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Hey Stranger. Been there, done that. I did the Paxil thing back in 96 when when the withdrawl "brain shocks" or "zaps" were just coming to be understood. I tried to explain to a doctor what I thought was going on and he just flushed out my ears (what an ass!). You gotta come off that stuff slowly. I knew someone who literally poured out his capsules and reduced his dose by a few granules every other day. It's that powerful. I'm on Effexor now, but have lots of trouble with sleep and night sweats. I wake up at 4:30 am and can't sleep until about 6:30. I bought a shortwave radio so I can listen to some decent broadcasts from the BBC and such. If I can't sleep, I'm gonna be a news junkie.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #51
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Lexapro update:

Met with the doc again yesterday. Things are all good. I did have a pretty low dip for 4-5 days before my period, but have been great since. We decided to try 15mg the week prior to my period see if that heads it off this month.

Nothing other to note. It feels great to feel 'normal'.

Elspode, this has significantly helped my anger. I used to get this burning in my gut and overall feeling like I was a cat with claws out about to freak at the slightest provocation. I liked to throw things. A lot. This was what brought me to the new doc. My daughter started asking me "Are you mad at me?" for nothing. I realized how out of control I was getting and it had to stop before I did some real damage to one of my only reasons for being. Throwing stuff at my husband was one thing, but I didn't want to get to the point where I might freak on my little girl.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #52
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post

Gosh you sound like a real doctor. I sometimes forget how smart you are and then bam...right in the kisser.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #53
southernJP
Positives are priceless

Positives is priceless

Going thru depression, and anxiety is a very difficult battle. I have been on 6 different medications in 7 months. The side effects have been to much for me. The last med I was on, helped for several days, then I experienced the worst panic attack ever. I had severe trembles, total confusion, couldn't respond to questions, my mind was blank. Later in the day, I had another attack. After it passed, I knew it had to be the medication, so I stopped taking the med. The attacks kept coming, but was getting lighter. Now I am free of the attacks. Even though I feel better, I am now having these brain jolts. They seem very light, but very frequent. Forgive me, Im rambling on. The point I want to make is that, we are very strong minded people. Depression, and anxiety goes way beyond sadness. Those that lives with depression, or has delt with it in the passed, knows the right down to earth facts of how severe it can be. We all want the samething, and that is to get well. We do not want pity, we want understanding, and support. Positive thoughts, and ideas are always welcome. Negatives is never welcome.
southernJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #54
southernJP
Positives are priceless

update

Its been a week or longer since my last visit here. I am still having these brain jolts. Today was worse (more frequent) than yesterday. I also experience short term memory loss. I am not certain of the reason why. Could it be due to the medicene? (citalopram) I have not takin this meication since the panic attacks. If anyone knows about this, please let me know. Everyone please remember to be strong, and be positive.

Last edited by southernJP; 07-24-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #55
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, the brain "jolts" are a known side effect of withdrawing from the medication. Your brain chemistry is changing; your system has developed a dependency on this drug, and is now changing. There's no permanent damage done, as far as they know, from this type of withdrawl, but it is uncomfortable.

I think you should be under a psych-doc's care; you shouldn't have to make that decision to stop the meds alone. You should know what the likely effects are, and if there are any alternatives. If you want to come off the medication, psych-docs will do things like put you on an intermediate alternative med that's easier to withdraw from.

Also it generally takes a longer period of time than 7 days for some of these drugs to really have an effect, and the docs will know what's up with that panic. It may be that you went on them too quickly. Most such drugs need you to wean onto them just like you have to wean off. For the first week you take a quarter dose, second week a half dose, etc. GPs often don't know the details of this, and just write a prescription for a full dose from day one. Oops.

Many times, this is a matter of finding the right thing for you, fine-tuning the meds to fit more precisely what you need. Different brains react differently - different people react differently. Have some patience to find the right levels for you. Of course it's going to take months, take a lot of patience, but at the end of that road is... normal.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #56
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Good luck southern. I hope you get through this soon.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #57
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Undertoad nailed it. I have nothing to add to his comments.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #58
southernJP
Positives are priceless

I just feel that if I can control this naturally, I would rather do that than be on a

Keyword Linden Methed, this website has helped me quite abit. it is all based on positives, and learning what it takes to switch off depression, and anxiety. I know this seems to good to be true, but it helps. Anytime I feel depression or anxiety coming on, I do my best to focus on the positive information in the site. I try to avoid listening to all negative comments. I have fear of all medications for depression,and anxiety. The Linden methed will hopefully be a cure.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #59
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Southern, without knowing anything about the Linden method I am unable to comment. I know Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is more successful than drugs in cases of mild to medium depression and is more likely to prevent recurrences, but I also know that that is backed up by medical studies.

All I will say is that drugs are NOT the answer for everyone. They are over-used. If you can manage to do without them you are much better off. HOWEVER. Drugs have a physical as well as a psychological effect and you should only come off them or switch drugs after careful consideration and conversation with a health care professional.

Take a doctor's advice, and the drugs, while you start work on whatever non-drug programme you feel will work for you. And make regular appointments once you have come off them.

What we call depression/ anxiety isn't only caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. No-one should ever feel they are wrong to have it controlled medically, but at the same time therapy can benefit many more people than it is offered to - people still unhappy or anxious when they are on anti-depressants should look for other types of help.

Last edited by Sundae; 07-25-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #60
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

My doc recently talked me into taking a small dosage of Lexapro, 10mg, in order to help me out of my fatigue slump (and because she secretly believes I'm depressed). I've been on Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft and now I'm back to the Lexapro. I've never noticed any brain "zaps" although I stopped cold turkey the first time I was taking Lexapro and the Zoloft. Now I know how very very bad I was for that, I won't do it again...I promise. The main thing I've noticed both times on the Lexapro is my increased "shivering." Otherwise I believe non-medicated is the best way to go, who knows what other things we mess up when we interfere with our chemicals like that especially for long time periods. I'm trying to get myself back to a healthy place, eating right, exercising, socializing ect ect. A thing that really helps me when I get really down is talking to someone I trust, like alcoholics with their sponsors. I suggest counseling or just an available friend, even my mom works for me. Just saying all that is frustrating and worrying me, getting it out in the open helps relieve the tension.